Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NO PCN ISSUED AND I WAS MOVING BUT I WILL GET A FINE
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
cgsweety
Yesterday I was waiting in my car in front of a driveway (on the pathway which leads to the drive - gates where closed though on the driveway in front of me), car was running hand brake was not applied and I did not leave the car. I dropped my fiancee off to go and pick up the kids from school and was waiting for them to come back. In the mean time I noticed the local traffic warden come running out of the police station (which is on the same road) and franticaly start jotting down in a notebook the registrations of all the cars parked on the road (which has a single yellow line on it), there where around 15 cars parked on the road some of which had people in and some didnt (all picking their kids up from school). By the time he had gotten to the top of the road and started running back down to take my registration number I was reversing down the road with kids and fiancee in. I noticed he was writing down what I presume was my registration number so I stopped the car and drove back up to meet him, I opened the door and inquired as to what he was doing, he replied 'just making a note of all the registration numbers' to which I asked if he made a note of mine and he replied 'yes' to which I pointed out where I was and that I was in the car and not parked, he insisted that the yellow line rule is in force al the way up to the fence. No ticket was issued and he did not have his ticket book out so no ticket was even being attempted to be issued. I will get a fine through the post as this has happened to a number of people before, the fine will state that I was seen waiting in a restricted area/street. Can this be legal? As I did not park the car and surely waiting is not an excuse as there could be traffic lights there and I would have to wait for them to change, or there could be a vehicle turning in the road ahead and I would have to wait for the road to clear before I could proceed. The road is also a dead end and you do occasionaly have to 'wait' to get turned at the top. Seems that if it where to go to court it would be my word against the traffic wardens and the court would go with the traffic wardens as its his job. Any comments would be much appreciated as I have already been in to the police station to make an official complaint about the traffic warden and am waiting for them to telephone me with an appointment to go in and see them - dont want to look like a wally when I go in and they tell me everything is above board. Thanks and sorry about the long post
Nimbus
A TA has to either put a ticket on your car or hand it to the driver. They can't write up PCN's later (But some do!).

If you want to put your mind at rest, phone up your Council parking dept and ask if a ticket has been issued to your vehicle.

Slow Driver
Yellow lines do not mean no parking.

As stated in the highway code the mean "No Waiting". Waiting is exactly what you were doing.

No idea if TWs can post tickets, I only do decriminalised parking and currently we can't but I got a feeling T/Wardens can.

Thing is, making a complaint about the traffic warden won't get you off the ticket, and he won't even hear about it - He's doing his job even if it does distress you. As far as they are concerned, if he caught you, it's your fault because you should not of been waiting in the first place.

Only real advice I can offer is WAIT AND SEE. It might of simply been a scare tactic to move you away from the yellow line. I do this myself on a daily basis - it gets the job done. Many traffic wardens (outside of london) are well known for being lazy and only issuing 2 or 3 tickets a week. Unlike Parking Attendants who are far more proactive..

IF you receive a ticket, then come back and update this thread. Until that time though, don't worry! You'll stress yourself out!
Slow Driver
QUOTE (Nimbus @ Fri, 15 Feb 2008 - 11:02) *
A TA has to either put a ticket on your car or hand it to the driver. They can't write up PCN's later (But some do!).

If you want to put your mind at rest, phone up your Council parking dept and ask if a ticket has been issued to your vehicle.

The TRAFFIC WARDEN came from the POLICE station. It is a TRAFFIC WARDEN not a PARKING ATTENDANT at the council. There is a very distinct difference and the powers the 2 have are very different.
cgsweety
So what powers does a traffic warden have which are different to a attendant? It was definately a Traffic Warden as there is only one where I live and he works from the police station, unlike the council attendants who look after the car parks etc.
Glacier2
They can get you for things like obstruction and parking on zig zags.
Bernie the Bolt
Authority to direct traffic.
Glacier2
I forgot that one.
Slow Driver
They can also have vehicles removed by tow truck, have it clamped, impounded, they can even endorse points on your licence as a very last resort.

Don't mess with Traffic Wardens basically. Unlike PAs from councils, they can have a nasty sting in their tail. Next time you get a PCN from a PA working for a council, be grateful that it doesn't come with 3 points or other serious consequences.

Most TWs are rather lazy though - they don't do much work.. unless they work within the M25 - thats different, even I had a memorable 'conversation' with a TW in london...
Glacier2
Most TWs are rather lazy though - they don't do much work.. unless they work within the M25 - thats different, even I had a memorable 'conversation' with a TW in london...

You must have never met me! I was a pretty lazy TW in London. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.