Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pregnant Ladies and Supermarket Parking- you thoughts please
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Lisa
Hello,

Apologies if this has been raised before but i am interested in your views please.

3 years ago my local Asda had 4 spaces for pregnant ladies near its store. I tried to use these spaces once i was heavily pregnant and never could. I witnessed a guy loading his car with cases of beer one time on one of these spaces and threw a hormonal strop and he did say sorry and we ended up having a laugh, but seriously what id like to know is if you agree that these spaces are needed then would you agree that pregnant ladies using such spaces would have to be say 6 months or more to warrant needing such a space?

As i am currently 6 months pregnant i would love such spaces but sadly Asda changed them to Mother and Child spaces after a year.

I wish all supermarkets would have these spaces and also enforce who uses them but not in a corrupt way.

Thoughts please......

Alexis
All these spaces are a nice idea, but obviously they can't be enforced save for having people to tell people off or have them signing contracts.

90% of people wouldn't use them inappropriately anyway. I think the scourge of people parking in disabled spaces has been vastly over reported!

If I was heavily pregnant I'd park anywhere really. Some disabled people have less physical 'disability' than a pregnant lady with a strained back!
Lisa
In Leicester where i live i see a lot of single people without kids parking on Mum and child spaces rather than walk that bit further. I try not to shop with children if i can help it but what id like to see is these spaces being enforced by way of a person working for that store patrolling the said carpark and telling people to move. I dont think that will happen though its just a thought.

Oh and normally when im not pregnant and shattered im happy to park as far away as possible for the extra walk!
Alexis
You make it sound like people are less considerate in Leicester!

Maybe a sign informing people why it's not considerate to park in the spaces would be more effective?
sarahg1969
They are a lovely idea, but if pregnant women "need" them, then maybe fat people do too? Or people who have very wide cars? Or old people who don't have blue badges, but are having a bad day? Or people who have to get a bulky item into the car?
Cupid_Stunt63
normally i would not use these spaces. however if someone tried to "enforce" it you would find me using them every time, just to make a point. i know how to behave and i dont need "enforcing" to do it. thankyou
and to me the idea of "enforcing" goes against the whole idea of this site.
spanner345
QUOTE (sarahg1969 @ Mon, 11 Feb 2008 - 16:58) *
They are a lovely idea, but if pregnant women "need" them, then maybe fat people do too? Or people who have very wide cars? Or old people who don't have blue badges, but are having a bad day? Or people who have to get a bulky item into the car?

My father, 84 years old, with a heart condition, made to walk further than a young healthy pregnant woman.

COBBLERS
Lisa
Thanks for all your replies.

Some interesting replies. What i will add is that if supermarkets didnt think these spaces were needed then they wouldnt allocate them in the first place.

If anyone here has been heavily pregnant with a split pubis then you will know that it is very hard to walk and when you do its very slow.

I agree that it would be nice if elderly people with medical conditions could have allocated spaces and id say they need to be nearer the store then mum and child spaces. I think at the end of the day a lot of it is down to who spends when all is said and done. Mums with kids get spaces, they spend more cash then most elderly people. That is wrong but then shops arent out to be nice are they?

saracengb
QUOTE (sarahg1969 @ Mon, 11 Feb 2008 - 16:58) *
They are a lovely idea, but if pregnant women "need" them, then maybe fat people do too?

"Does my bum look big in this parking bay?"

Sorry - couldn't resist it biggrin.gif

Seriously - there's another thread in here which might be of similar interest?

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=27106
giblets46
From what i have seen, 'with child' these days seems to mean you only have to have a baby seat in your car, whether your child is with you or not!
Weevil
IMHO it would make more sense to simply mark five or six spaces in the corner of the car park away from the front doors of the shop with a large "N" which would variously denote

• Not pregnant
  • Not with a child
  • Not old
  • Not disabled

and then those few people who don't have a special excuse to justify parking fractionally closer to the shop doors could be left to park in peace. The remaining 99% of spaces could be fought over by everyone else, all of whom seem to have a special case these days. Taking this approach would obviate the need to paint symbols across the whole car-park. Moreover, anyone who was pregnant / with a child / old / disabled and caught parking in a specially reserved N place would have their car taken away and crushed.

Slow Driver
QUOTE (Alexis @ Mon, 11 Feb 2008 - 16:11) *
All these spaces are a nice idea, but obviously they can't be enforced save for having people to tell people off or have them signing contracts.

90% of people wouldn't use them inappropriately anyway. I think the scourge of people parking in disabled spaces has been vastly over reported!

If I was heavily pregnant I'd park anywhere really. Some disabled people have less physical 'disability' than a pregnant lady with a strained back!

a) People do abuse disabled parking frequently - You would be surprised at the number of people I book on a weekly basis for parking in disabled bays without a valid disbled badge.

b) physical disability or not, being disabled is different from being handicapped. Disabled is still disabled no matter how able bodied someone may look. Just because they are not in a wheelchair crippled, does not mean there is nothing wrong with them. Though it should be said, I do think that the use of the wheelchair symbol for disabled people is a bit stupid and confusing..
Wayne Pendle
Common sense is becoming a rare commodity unfortunately. Why has it become such a huge struggle for those that are pregnant, mothers with children or are disabled, about having to make the 100 metres or so distance from the car park to the store, yet these same people have little problem making their way 500 metres+ around an often packed store, through narrow isles with trolleys etc, with items that have often been moved to the other side of the store only then having to unload their trolleys/baskets. The having to go back to the car with shopping doesn't wash for staff are generally on hand to help load shopping.
I think this is much more about asserting ones' rights, than it is of genuine need and where does it end? Will we be fined for not keeping to the left of an isle, will fat people be given bays, how about shelters for customers with dogs, spaces for car accident victims or those who have had operations, are on crutches etc; how about fathers with children bays etc. We have become so oversensitive to people's needs that we tend to lose touch with what the reality sometimes. These schemes are there to induce a 2hour turnover on parking at the store, they pacify such an arrangement by providing various 'services' en pretence that a valuable service is being provided for those considered less fortunate. Lastly, I find it quite incredible that someone who is heavily pregnant with split pubis on one hand finds it too difficult to to travel the short distance from the car park to the store is able to find the energy to remonstrate with one who has parked in pregnant only spot without 'entitlement', maybe we should have man with beers bays too.
sarahg1969
QUOTE (Wayne Pendle @ Tue, 12 Feb 2008 - 00:03) *
Common sense is becoming a rare commodity unfortunately. Why has it become such a huge struggle for those that are pregnant, mothers with children or are disabled, about having to make the 100 metres or so distance from the car park to the store, yet these same people have little problem making their way 500 metres+ around an often packed store, through narrow isles with trolleys etc, with items that have often been moved to the other side of the store only then having to unload their trolleys/baskets. The having to go back to the car with shopping doesn't wash for staff are generally on hand to help load shopping.
I think this is much more about asserting ones' rights, than it is of genuine need and where does it end? Will we be fined for not keeping to the left of an isle, will fat people be given bays, how about shelters for customers with dogs, spaces for car accident victims or those who have had operations, are on crutches etc; how about fathers with children bays etc. We have become so oversensitive to people's needs that we tend to lose touch with what the reality sometimes. These schemes are there to induce a 2hour turnover on parking at the store, they pacify such an arrangement by providing various 'services' en pretence that a valuable service is being provided for those considered less fortunate. Lastly, I find it quite incredible that someone who is heavily pregnant with split pubis on one hand finds it too difficult to to travel the short distance from the car park to the store is able to find the energy to remonstrate with one who has parked in pregnant only spot without 'entitlement', maybe we should have man with beers bays too.

Spot on.

AFCNEAL
HEAR HEAR to that last posting. Pregnancy is a matter of personal choice - so if you want/decide to have children you live with the consequences during pregnancy and many years afterwards. It's not for supermarkets, Governments, local authorities etc to make any dispensation where a choice is made.

More sympathy with the less-able - except blue badges seem to be dished out like confetti for the most minor disabilities. As a previous poster comments - one can't always know by looking, but for as long as the nanny state mandates a certain proportion of disabled bays per car park capacity (the majority of which lie empty!) I'm not very supportive........

Rant over! If you want children - that's you choice. No-one else should be disadvantaged or pay more as a consequence.
Lisa
I find it quite incredible that someone who is heavily pregnant with split pubis on one hand finds it too difficult to to travel the short distance from the car park to the store is able to find the energy to remonstrate with one who has parked in pregnant only spot without 'entitlement', maybe we should have man with beers bays too.

Wayne Wayne i said i was pregnant now but didnt state i had a split pubis this time. I had one with my last pregnancy 3 years ago when the beer incident occured. If you read properly yes i am 6 months pregnant this time and very tired, oh my gosh yes its by choice, and as i spend a lot of money in the supermarket if i want to park nearer to the door when i need it then id like that choice. I have also stated that normally i park as far away as possible for thr extra walk, i am not a lazy individual by all means.

Its great i asked for opinions and i have gotten them. Please lets stop this getting too personal that is unfair to the people that run this board.
Wayne Pendle
QUOTE (Lisa @ Tue, 12 Feb 2008 - 09:25) *
If you read properly yes i am 6 months pregnant this time and very tired, oh my gosh yes its by choice, and as i spend a lot of money in the supermarket if i want to park nearer to the door when i need it then id like that choice.

Its great i asked for opinions and i have gotten them. Please lets stop this getting too personal that is unfair to the people that run this board.

One trait I have with English, is that I read perfectly well thankyou, you didn't explain yourself properly not that it matters for it does not change the content of what I wrote. If you do not wish for 'personal' comments, then might I suggest you take out the I, if I, me, I did, Thoughts please...... etc. Other than that, I hope you find the opinions useful.
spanner345
Many differing opinions on pepipoo. Long may it stay that way.
Wayne Pendle
QUOTE (spanner345 @ Tue, 12 Feb 2008 - 10:49) *

I'll icon_jook.gif to that!
spanner345
QUOTE (Wayne Pendle @ Tue, 12 Feb 2008 - 10:55) *

Not if using the disabled mother with baby spaces to load the drink!
Wayne Pendle
QUOTE (spanner345 @ Tue, 12 Feb 2008 - 10:59) *
QUOTE (Wayne Pendle @ Tue, 12 Feb 2008 - 10:55) *

Not if using the disabled mother with baby spaces to load the drink!

Hmm, difficult choice, crate of beers, in a hurry cos the rugby's on, clock.gif or being on the receiving end of a hormonal pregant woman willing to chop off the dangly bits icon_axe.gif for parking in a pregnant only spot? Hell, who needs fines biggrin.gif
jdfi
Presumably a pregnant lady has a child under 12 (albeit in their, erm, tummy).

Do Asda's signs stipulate that the child must be in a pram?
Glacier2
Where would you get a pram for an 11 year old?
Cargy
QUOTE (Glacier2 @ Tue, 12 Feb 2008 - 12:09) *

I dunno, but I'd certainly negotiate for a better deal than that !! laugh.gif
spanner345
QUOTE (jdfi @ Tue, 12 Feb 2008 - 12:02) *
Presumably a pregnant lady has a child under 12 (albeit in their, erm, tummy).

Do Asda's signs stipulate that the child must be in a pram?

Pregnant ladies have been accused of some things, but cannibalism???
truCido
a close friend of mine is getting quite pregnant now and I think she should be able to park in the "child" bays not due to the fact she cant walk but because her parking skills have somewhat deteriorated and will probably anilate any cars around her in a normal bay, also when she is about 7 / 8 months pregnant she will struggle to get out of her car therefore her door will be flung wide open, denting innocent motorists cars.

The people you usually see parking in disabled / parent bays are usually young blokes or builders that can't be a**ed to walk across a car park
spanner345
QUOTE (truCido @ Tue, 12 Feb 2008 - 12:26) *
a close friend of mine is getting quite pregnant now and I think she should be able to park in the "child" bays not due to the fact she cant walk but because her parking skills have somewhat deteriorated and will probably anilate any cars around her in a normal bay, also when she is about 7 / 8 months pregnant she will struggle to get out of her car therefore her door will be flung wide open, denting innocent motorists cars.

All this carnage seems to be suggesting that insurance premiums should increase for the pregnant.I think you are being unfair!
jdfi
QUOTE (Glacier2 @ Tue, 12 Feb 2008 - 12:09) *

Asda!
jdfi
a close friend of mine is getting quite pregnant now

How close - are you requesting parking spaces for expectant dads?
truCido
QUOTE (jdfi @ Tue, 12 Feb 2008 - 14:52) *
a close friend of mine is getting quite pregnant now

How close - are you requesting parking spaces for expectant dads?

laugh.gif parking spaces for friends of people expecting would be better tbh
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.