Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whats this letter mean???
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
tinowrx
i was cuaght speeding in my works van in mid august, i was doing 99mph in a 60mph, i didnt really notice the speed i was doing. they recieived the NIP, saying it was me and sent it back to the police. then i recieved the NIP of the police, i replied saying it was me. i didnt want the hassle of futher letters to and froim the police querying the situation with whether the camera was calibrated or not etc. got to jaunary and thought hopefully nothing will come of this as i havent heard anything yet.

but alas ive received a letter from them which ill try and scan. but bare with me as im not use to scanning so might not show correctly!!
tinowrx
what is the maxium time from the offence to when they can still proscicute???? i have a clean licence and have held it for over 11 years. does this mean that i will have to attend court, and am i likely to be banned????
martinbiz
Unfortunately the bib and scammers enjoy lulling you into a false sense of security and often leave it until the very last minute before issuing a summons its their lttle sadistic game.

All you can do at the moment is wait, if the worst happens, then do the NIP wizard so people can see an accurate timeline and try to help.
tinowrx
thanks. aint they kind by playing games!!! gits!! how long am i likely to wait after this letter???
picko
you may want to remove that letter form here, take off anything personal. i.e name address, reference numbers etc and re-post.
martinbiz
QUOTE (tinowrx @ Sat, 2 Feb 2008 - 11:41) *
thanks. aint they kind by playing games!!! gits!! how long am i likely to wait after this letter???

6 months from the date of offence. May I suggest you remove the letter and wash it of your personal details and repost
tinowrx
QUOTE (picko @ Sat, 2 Feb 2008 - 11:41) *
you may want to remove that letter form here, take off anything personal. i.e name address, reference numbers etc and re-post.

thanks. ive taken it off then ill rescan, with that info taken off
nemo
Timescales for Prosecution.

QUOTE (tinowrx @ Sat, 2 Feb 2008 - 11:41) *
how long am i likely to wait after this letter???

The police have 6 calendar months from the date of the alleged offence to commence proceedings. This is achieved by the laying of an information (applying for a summons) at the Magistrates' Court.

The summons itself can be printed / issued a few weeks later and, as long as the information was laid within 6 months, can lawfully be served on (ie received by) the defendant outwith this 6 month window..

Your alleged offence occurred on xx August 2007. If it reached xx February 2008 without proceedings having been commenced, it would then be too late to do so. If you so wish, you can contact the court which deals with motoring matters in the area of the alleged offence and ask whether any informations have been laid in your name..

saracengb
QUOTE (nemo @ Sat, 2 Feb 2008 - 16:05) *
Your alleged offence occurred on xx August 2007. If it reached xx February 2008 without proceedings having been commenced, it would then be too late to do so. If you so wish, you can contact the court which deals with motoring matters in the area of the alleged offence and ask whether any informations have been laid in your name..

I wanted to post something along these lines - just didn't want to jinx anything wink.gif Glad you posted first.

Would it be worth waiting a week or so after the deadline just to be safe? 've noticed a few people on here contacting the court just after the cut off date only to find the info had "just been laid" in time!
nemo
QUOTE (saracengb @ Sat, 2 Feb 2008 - 16:16) *
Would it be worth waiting a week or so after the deadline just to be safe? 've noticed a few people on here contacting the court just after the cut off date only to find the info had "just been laid" in time!

I'd leave it until a few days after 'timeout' before calling the court. If no informations had been laid, I'd want to know the full name of the court official who dealt with the enquiry and I'd request that the content of the call was logged. I might even ask for faxed confirmation of the conversation details..
saracengb
QUOTE (nemo @ Sat, 2 Feb 2008 - 16:22) *

I'd leave it until a few days after 'timeout' before calling the court. If no informations had been laid, I'd want to know the full name of the court official who dealt with the enquiry and I'd request that the content of the call was logged. I might even ask for faxed confirmation of the conversation details..

Nice one - I'll remember that should I ever need it biggrin.gif
tinowrx
QUOTE (saracengb @ Sat, 2 Feb 2008 - 16:24) *
QUOTE (nemo @ Sat, 2 Feb 2008 - 16:22) *

Nice one - I'll remember that should I ever need it biggrin.gif

the offence occured on the 8th of August 2007 so if i wait til around the 11th-14th feb and then contact the courts, i think it will be either milton keynes or aylesbury for where i live. its the thames valley police and i live in aylesbury. if when ive contact either court on these dates dates and they have nothing, then can i presume i will not be attending court???

thanks
steve
saracengb
QUOTE (tinowrx @ Sat, 2 Feb 2008 - 22:16) *
the offence occured on the 8th of August 2007 so if i wait til around the 11th-14th feb and then contact the courts, i think it will be either milton keynes or aylesbury for where i live. its the thames valley police and i live in aylesbury. if when ive contact either court on these dates dates and they have nothing, then can i presume i will not be attending court???

thanks
steve

As Nemo said - that should be fine. If those are the local courts then it should be OK. Let us know how you get on - we're always up for a success story

Fingers crossed biggrin.gif
The Rookie
The court will be local to the scammers, not you, I think TVP use Banbury.

99 in a 60 is a ban, unless you come up with something very good!

Simon
martinbiz
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 4 Feb 2008 - 15:01) *
The court will be local to the scammers, not you, I think TVP use Banbury.

99 in a 60 is a ban, unless you come up with something very good!

Simon

That's a bit pesimistic Simon, he has'nt even had a summons yet! wink.gif Fingers crossed.
andy_foster
The court will be local to the alleged speeding offence, if he is only charged with speeding.
tinowrx
hi,

thanks for the replies.

well its definately not banbury, it is aylesbury! i recieved a letter today, well home did as im in ireland. its the SUMMONS :-( the query with it is the date on the letter is the 4th Feb 2008 and the date the envelope was franked is the 20th. now is TVP trying to be clever and back dating the letter??? surely it doesnt take 16days to type the letter then post it??? and should i go off of the franked date of the letter date??? i well be back home tomorrow to read the letter, but my dad says there is about 10 pages to go through and one saying about pleading guilty and ban etc????? i will post tomorrow evening the letter if that is any help

thanks
again
steve
Pikachu
Somewhere on the summons form itself should be the date the information was laid. That is the only important date.

tinowrx
that i wont be able to check until im home tomorrow.

information being laid, does that mean with the court???
saracengb
QUOTE (tinowrx @ Thu, 21 Feb 2008 - 21:46) *
that i wont be able to check until im home tomorrow.

information being laid, does that mean with the court???

AFAIK yes Tino. The information is initially laid with the court and must be within the 6 month time limit - it must be more than just name and address AIUI. Has to be enough to show what the subsequent summons will be for. After that's done they can take their sweet time with the summons!

HTH
andy_foster
Check the date that the summons was printed as well as the date the information was laid.
tinowrx
im nowe back home and had quick look over the vaious poages!! here are two pages that i hope will help.

tinowrx
do bans count as a criminal record? just wondering if it is better to for the ban (hoping it to only be 56day) or the possible 6/9points and silly fine??? thinking for future with insurance etc
The Rookie
Speeding is a non recordable criminal offence, so no, you don't get a record.

Simon
nemo
QUOTE (tinowrx @ Sat, 23 Feb 2008 - 11:30) *
just wondering if it is better to for the ban (hoping it to only be 56day) or the possible 6/9points and silly fine???

If you have been summoned for the offence of excess speed only, you would not receive 9 points upon conviction - it would be a short period ban (56 days or less) OR 6 points. And any fine awarded would should be proportional to your means (you will be required to complete an appropriate form and declare your disposable weekly income).

QUOTE (tinowrx @ Sat, 23 Feb 2008 - 11:30) *
..thinking for future with insurance etc

Try running some dummy quotes through Tesco, go compare, confused, money supermarket etc..wink.gif
saracengb
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sat, 23 Feb 2008 - 11:50) *
Speeding is a non recordable criminal offence, so no, you don't get a record.

Simon

It's funny you should say this Simon, as after my 6 points/£200 fine at Forfar I had a CRB check done for a supply teaching post. And guess what came up on the CRB check? Yep, full details of the offence - fine, endorsements etc.

Could be a north of the border thing? I've been meaning to ask someone about this but this thread prompted me to ask.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.