Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: registering a car under someone else`s name
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
peter8169
Hi, just woundered if anyone can give advise on this:
if another family member has the V5 on theyer name `even though they cant drive`
as the car is also a disabled car which i can no longer afford to keep- up on my own,
but the family member who the disability has offered to `take charge` of the car
i would be insureing the car, so that im legally entitled to drive-it, so could
anyone give advise or potential problem leading from this thanks
nimh999
I don't think there will be a problem as long as you disclose all of the relevant information that an insurance company require in order to assess the risk they are insuring. In other words you mustn't lie to the insurance company. If you are the main driver you need to disclose.
peter8169
Hi, thanks for the reply
like i said, i would be insuring the car, but the other family member would
be the owner of the car so all legal there
but on another note, as the other family member `has no liencence`
what would happen if the car had a speeding ticket?
andy_foster
Cars don't get speeding tickets.
peter8169

i know what your getting at, but i ment if the `registered keeper` of the car
has no liecence, then they have a `duty` to name the driver of the car at the
time of the offence
but if that person would not know the driver of the car at the time of the offence
they would probably be sommonsed, but not given them any points,
its not relevent, but just interested
Barking Mad
QUOTE (peter8169 @ Sun, 20 Jan 2008 - 23:50) *

i know what your getting at, but i ment if the `registered keeper` of the car
has no liecence, then they have a `duty` to name the driver of the car at the
time of the offence
but if that person would not know the driver of the car at the time of the offence
they would probably be sommonsed, but not given them any points,
its not relevent, but just interested

Although I can't say I condone this sort of behaviour, it has to be placed on record that this is the type of outcome when vehicle registration is abused with invoices in the post.

If the police forces up and down the country weren't out to filch cash off of people; people would not be considering and asking about the consequences of legally trying to protect their licences!

I have to place on record that if I had a child under 10 years of age I would seriously consider making that child the "registered keeper" for the very reasons alluded to in this fellow's post. The car is clocked speeding at some incredibly small, very non-dangerous, innocuous amount, by some personality-free parasite sitting like a recluse in the back of van with its windows open - followed by the "we want to know who to invoice" letter arriving in the post - your 6 year old can ignore it and by the time they find out "it's a ruse", it's too late to do anything about it and they can't prosecute a child.

And the police should be catching real criminals - not people seeking to avoid having money extorted from them for what are "absolute" but nevertheless technical motoring offences devoid of any mens rea whatsoever.

You know what to do: Write to your MP and put them on notice that you want this changed or you'll be voting them out!

Evington
Someone may correct me but would there be problem when the RFL becomes due.

The V5 in one persons name and the insurance in another, I am aware that the vehicle is registered 'disabled'. But I'm sure the taxation office would want the details to be the same ie. reg keeper and insurance.

Evington
peter8169
thanks for the reply`s

as above, i cant see this as a problem, as many cars are owned by `disabled` drivers
who cant drive themselves, and who dont own a liencence
many `disabled` cars are owned by the person who claims the `disability benifit`
and another member of the family is the driver of the car
as long as the car is `used as` a disability car and not used for day-to-day`say` for traveling back and forth work, i cant see a problem
but any thoughts appreciated
Glacier2
I could see the old bill cooking up a conspiracy to pervert the course of justice charge where a car is registered to a child.
The Rookie
They could cook one, up, making it sticky enough to stick may be harder......the child receives a NIP, doesn't know what to do with it so writes on it with crayon and throws it in the bin, no conspiracy! After all they clearly say its for the addressee ONLY and not to be passed on!

Simon
roythebus
Many vehicles are registered in others names, company cars, lease cars etc. It's not illegal to have a car owned by one and insured by another, as long as the driver at the time is insured to drive and it has a current tax disc and MOT where required.

Ellie the cat now owns a Range Rover!
The Rookie
QUOTE (roythebus @ Tue, 22 Jan 2008 - 11:58) *
Ellie the cat now owns a Range Rover!

Sorry that's just all wrong, how can you make a cat own a vehicle made by Rover, at least register it to your dog!

Simon
jobo
sorry to get away from the levity, is there any prescribed relationship betwwen the RK and the vehicle, kept at same address etc, i all ways thought lease companies keeping the Rk status was ify
Glacier2
It is to stop the person the vehicle is leased to from selling it.
jobo
yea i know that but they are not under any definition the keeper are they, they are the owner what constitutes keeper
jobo
if this holds up what in theory would stop you from picking ageing or even dead relatives and Rking them.

there must be a legal relationship between the RK and the car shurely
Glacier2
QUOTE (jobo @ Tue, 22 Jan 2008 - 19:51) *
if this holds up what in theory would stop you from picking ageing or even dead relatives and Rking them.

there must be a legal relationship between the RK and the car shurely

Or the whole country would be at it.
facade
Just a thought, but the RK (or a representative in the case of a company) has to sign the registration document to record a change of keeper, can a minor [ or dead relative] sign a legal document ( I mean legally, not physically rolleyes.gif )?

If they can't the registration and change of keeper must be invalid, reverting to the last keeper.
The Rookie
You can be the owner/keeper and RK of a moped as a minor....

RK does not confer ownership, however it does make it hard for someone else to sell on if they aren't!

You can't make a dead person the RK clearly!

Simon
Faraway
Clearly you couldnt make someone already dead the RK of a car that you were RK too but a dead person could be the RK if they'd died leaving a car that you inherited and didnt re-register it. The correpondence would come to the dead person's estate excutors to deal with one presumes. Would there be any incentive to change the RK in this case?
jobo
Hi I was initially kidding when I said dead person as rk, but since then Ive got more concerned (read paranoid ) about the whole thing. There has been numerous case of identify theft from the recently deceased ( not sure if you can technically steal a dead persons identity but you know what I mean) as obituary notices give quite a lot of information and there is no one around to receive letters, this particularly where sheltered accommodation is involved and people have access to the mail.

Also I have heard anecdotal stories of people with a grudge getting a similar car to the grudgee, changing plates and driving through as many cameras as possible leaving the RK with 20 or 30 NIPs to resolve, even where they haven’t took the trouble to closely match the exact model and colour this must still be a real pain to sort.

If some one decided to RK you as a driver (either on purpose or randomly) of their car usually one bought for a couple of hundred quid with 3 months tax you would not know anything until the log book dropped though the door, then unless you were clued in you would just return it to the dvla saying it wasn’t yours and they would do precisely nothing about it and the first thing you would know is when NIPs start dropping through your door. Having read the threads defending yourself against a sucession 172 prosecutions with ‘I never owed or drove this car’ would be extremely difficult or at very least time consuming

Has any one any advice how to protect yourself from this

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.