Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice please on Crossing Double White Lines
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Longy
I was stuck behind a tractor late last night and the road had double white lines. We got to a big hill and the tractor slowed down to about 5mph! A massive queue behind me by this time.

Anyway he moved far to the left to allow me to overtake. I waited and waited due to the double white lines. When we got to the top of the hill I could see the road miles ahead which was clear and the double white lines stopped couple of metres ahead. Unfortunately I went a little to soon and sod's law a traffic police car was far back in the que and spotted me!

I was yards off the broken line!! but the Grumpy Police man issused me 3 points and £60 fine.

I was very polite - I was just expecting a warning at the most! Was two officers in the car. He hard a real chip on his shoulder to say the least.

Having looked at:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTrans...ycode/DG_070306

Anyone think it's worth going to court on this? I swear he was doing less than 10mph (was a farm tractor with a big trailer going up a steep incline).
bama
against two BiBs in car you have next to no chance. especially as you accepted their offer.
You adit to crossing the double white lines just yards before they switched.
also a tractor is not mentioned in " to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph"

what basis for appeal you have is beyond me - but I am not a lawyer.

it does look like a hard call by the BiB, maybe it was the way you overtook as well. if the road was clear for miles you could havee waited for the double whites to end and smootly gone past without raising a flicker. if you have hung back a bit before overtakingyou would have allowed visibility for the drivers behind you and everyone could have streamed past quite safely and quickly. You sure you weren't impatient and so may have been a bit ragged....or a bit too soon for safe visibility when you started overtaking... I can see that earning a pull.

Longy
Thank you for the reply - Yes I did admit to crossing the line but wasn't sure if a slow moving vehicle traveling at less than 10mph can be classed in this situation?

Suppose I did feel pressured to get the line of traffic flowing as quickly as possible but did so in a safe manner especially when the tractor pulled far to left I presumed I was ok to move as it was going so slow. In my head I couldn't remember what the highway code rules on this and just made a decision.
bama
if you were up its back end before you pulled out and a tad early then I can see the BiBs wanting to pull. You never know if they are making targets or have just come from a (similar) RTA.....

Harsh lesson I think but one that won't need repeating. being pressured by traffic at the back does cause all kinds of problems on the road, better to control the traffic behind you.
Spur of the moment decisions behind the wheel tend to cause unpredictable stuff to happen my bet is the Bibs saw you 'jump'..

With two BiBs in the car you are pretty stuffed anyway regardless of events.... Move on and take it as a learning experience for your driving that way it won't happen again.
leegomery16
I'm afraid the exceptions do not apply to you. As usual the DirectGove site has provided only a synopsis of the law, which in full reads:

Nothing in paragraph 26(2)(b) above shall be taken to prohibit a vehicle from being driven across, or so as to straddle, the continuous line referred to in that paragraph, if

it is safe to do so; and
it is necessary to do so -
and it is

(a) to enable the vehicle to enter, from the side of the road on which it is proceeding, land or premises adjacent to the length of road on which the line is placed, or another road joining that road;
(b) in order to pass a stationary vehicle;
© owing to circumstances outside the control of the driver;
(d) in order to avoid an accident;
(e) in order to pass a road maintenance vehicle which is in use, is moving at a speed not exceeding 10 mph, and is displaying to the rear

the sign regulatory arrow sign (white arrow on blue) - traffic to proceed either left or right as indicated by sign or
the sign for vehicles to stay right of vehicle involved with mobile roadworks (white arrow on blue, but mounted on yellow board with flashing amber lights);
(f) in order to pass a pedal cycle moving at a speed not exceeding 10 mph;
(g) in order to pass a horse that is being ridden or led at a speed not exceeding 10 mph; or
(h) for the purposes of complying with any direction of a constable in uniform or a traffic warden.

Harsh of them but strictly legal.
Longy
Thank you all for clearing that up - nevermind you live and learn. Just seemed abit harsh to me sad.gif
bigboy69
every day on the way to work there are two tractors in front of me.

they both travel at about 15 mph and do not pull over to let vehicles pass.

it is an offence to overtake them when there are double white lines - most of the journey - so a simple 25 mile journey can sometimes take over an hour.

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

I do not overtake as you never know when pc doppler will be watching.

one day someone will report the driver.

bama
these tractors got license plates ?
I recall that there is some limit to the extent that farmers are supposed to use off road tractors for on-road use. summat to do with lower priced agricultural diesel my memory tells me.

25 miles.... worth a a bit of googling maybe...

....so I did...
seems there was change in 95.. however
"if tractors are used to haul loads further than 24 kms from their usual base they require a vehicle operator’s licence."

from
customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD1_024841&propertyType=document
leegomery16
Not to mention that their driving is without reasonable consideration for other road users - s. 3 RTA 88.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.