Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Daniels Silverman Advert
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
jdfi
Just noticed this - I realise that pepipoo do not control these messages, however I do find it rather ironic!

Maybe the advertiser should speak to their ad agency about targeting adverts better?

bama
You gotta laugh.

I wonder if they would take instructions to act against a PPC that owed a victim money ?

clark_kent
I think it places ads based on the content of the page which is why the ads appear to be loosley linked to the site.
NeilNeil
QUOTE (clark_kent @ Fri, 4 Jan 2008 - 20:45) *
I think it places ads based on the content of the page which is why the ads appear to be loosley linked to the site.

Indeed it does. They are adverts from Google's "Adsense" programme. Any web site owner who gets significant amounts of traffic can sign up with Google online for free, and they are given an automatically generated piece of html code which they should insert into a free space on their website. When the page is read by users, google automatically looks at the text content of the page and places the most relevant adverts into the spot.

In this case, it will read the words "parking charges" and look at its database of advertisers, and see Daniel Silverman as targeting that market (they have selected those keywords). But they can't tell that in our case, "parking charges" is meant in a sarcastic way.
Glacier2
Also the website receives a fee from google based on click thrus. I know it takes an awful lot of clicks to earn that 100 dollars.
nemo
How it works..
NeilNeil
QUOTE (Glacier2 @ Fri, 4 Jan 2008 - 23:34) *
Also the website receives a fee from google based on click thrus. I know it takes an awful lot of clicks to earn that 100 dollars.

Of course - forgot to add that essential point wink.gif
And yes it does take ages to make any money. I have it on one of my websites, and so far it has generated $10 over three years lol.

But I expect pepipoo make a little more money than that!
gbhxu
If you don't want the ads, be like me and just look at the lo-fi version of the board.
Fredd
QUOTE (gbhxu @ Sat, 5 Jan 2008 - 13:40) *
If you don't want the ads, be like me and just look at the lo-fi version of the board.

Before this degenerates into an "I don't like ads, they're evil, they compromise our integrity" topic, I'd just like to point out that they are the only reason we're able to provide these forums free of charge.

QUOTE (Glacier2 @ Fri, 4 Jan 2008 - 23:34) *

Which coincidentally is about what it costs each and every month just to host the site!
gbhxu
I use the lo-fi version because you can't change the size of the the text in the main version of the forum
Fredd
I must admit I'd never noticed that - presumably because I don't use Internet Explorer. You can change the text size if you're using a decent browser, including Firefox, Opera or Safari. Just not Internet Explorer (IE6 at any rate; I haven't checked IE7).
saracengb
QUOTE (Fredd @ Sat, 5 Jan 2008 - 21:24) *
Just not Internet Explorer (IE6 at any rate; I haven't checked IE7).

Nope - can't do it with IE7 either - you can zoom in/out which increases the text size but it looks crap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.