Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radar Trap
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
petebrown
I'm something of a novice to the world of speed traps etc, 17 years accident & conviction free motoring (touch wood), but I got nipped today and I'm wondering what to do about it.

I was driving along the A75 near Stranraer in Scotland earlier, single carriageway trunk road, and came upon what I assumed to be a pair of bin men standing at the side of the road. They were wearing black jackets and high viz trousers, no hats, and only as I got nearer did I realise that they were cops with a radar gun. Their car was practically hidden in a gateway, but they were standing outside it. I was doing approx 70 in a 60 zone, clear road with good visability, but like a tit I hit the brakes immediately and obviously and came down to 60. The guy pointing the gun dropped it down at this point. I drove on as normal, and they didn't follow.

What I am wondering about is if anything is likely to happen about this? Obviously if you get photographed by a camera then you will get an NIP through the post, but would a mobile hand held radar picket do the same thing or would they pursue you at the time to give it verbally? Also, could the fact that they were not obviously police officers to the casual observer have a bearing on any appeal which could be made if an NIP is issued? They were dressed like road workers!

As a side issue, I was nipped on my way back from Stranraer. While on my way earlier in the day travelling in the other direction I was overtaken by a marked police volvo estate; I was travelling at about 60 with an HGV in front doing about the same, and the idiot in the police car swerved past me doing about 70-75, no indicators or blues&twos, and then did the same to the lorry. If he was responding to a genuine emergency surely he should have had his lights on? As it was, he just seemed to be driving like a boy racer. The reason I mention it is that I think it was the same pair of buffoons who caught me later, and I'm damned if I'm going to accept any guff from someone who drives like that, police officer or no.
Monster 900
Please visit the READ ME FIRST section (Click Here), answer all the questions in the NIP Wizard, and the Wizard will then post its output back here to enable us to help you.
petebrown
Mmm, I've visited the links suggested above and neither are of any use to me. I've not received a NIP, but I realise that using the phrase "nipped" in my post above is probably confusing. I used it in the context of "pinched" or "caught", rather than referring specifically to NIP. As I said above, what I was looking for was general advice about what the police usually do in a mobile radar trap situation re prosecution, and also to consider what my options are regarding the behaviour of the police with their dangerous driving and camoflaged speed trap. Perhaps I've come to the wrong place, sorry for any inconvenience, feel free to delete the thread if inappropriate.
The Rookie
If you weren't stopped at the scene, the Plice have 14days to issue a NIP to the reg keeper, so all you can do is sit back and wait, if that doesn't happen, then nothing more will happen!

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.