Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Controlled Parking zone sign with different times!
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
barnet
Hi,
I got a PCN on Thursday evening for parking in a CPZ. I parked on a single yellow line and could not see any signs indicating this was not allowed (now i know that if in a CPZ this is acceptable).

When walking away from my car I kept an eye out for signs. I saw a big CPZ sign when exiting the road saying the zone was until 6.30pm. As I returned from dinner I entered the road and saw that the CPZ sign on the other side of the sign I had seen (the flip side) said the zone was until 9pm.

I honestly did not see the 9pm sign when entering the road (i will check tonight to make sure it was the correct format and on both sides etc). As there were no signs around where I parked I took the first one I saw as the right one - which stated 6.30pm. This was the only sign that was visible to me.

There is a lot about CPZ signs in this forum but i couldn't find anything regarding signs having two sides on it saying different things! which side was i supposed to adhere to? any help would be greatly appreciated as i really can't afford a £50 fine (or £100 if i don't pay up soon!)

Many thanks
barnet
Wayne Pendle
QUOTE (barnet @ Mon, 22 Oct 2007 - 11:38) *
Hi,
I got a PCN on Thursday evening for parking in a CPZ. I parked on a single yellow line and could not see any signs indicating this was not allowed (now i know that if in a CPZ this is acceptable).

When walking away from my car I kept an eye out for signs. I saw a big CPZ sign when exiting the road saying the zone was until 6.30pm. As I returned from dinner I entered the road and saw that the CPZ sign on the other side of the sign I had seen (the flip side) said the zone was until 9pm.

I honestly did not see the 9pm sign when entering the road (i will check tonight to make sure it was the correct format and on both sides etc). As there were no signs around where I parked I took the first one I saw as the right one - which stated 6.30pm. This was the only sign that was visible to me.

There is a lot about CPZ signs in this forum but i couldn't find anything regarding signs having two sides on it saying different things! which side was i supposed to adhere to? any help would be greatly appreciated as i really can't afford a £50 fine (or £100 if i don't pay up soon!)

Many thanks
barnet

Neil Herron 07776 202045 Office 0191 565 7143, he is an expert on CPZ signage and would be interested in your case.
Teufel
the sign facing you applies as you enter the zone

as you go back the sign on the other side is now facing you
and applies for the zone you are re-entering
whitewing
sounds like the sign is on a boundary between 2 cpzs with differing times - may be worth a read of TSRGD to see if this is allowed, e.g. if it states that there must be zone ends signs at the exit.
clark_kent
QUOTE (whitewing @ Mon, 22 Oct 2007 - 23:29) *
sounds like the sign is on a boundary between 2 cpzs with differing times - may be worth a read of TSRGD to see if this is allowed, e.g. if it states that there must be zone ends signs at the exit.

The controlled area has not ended just the time of operation changed it would not be possible to have a zone ends and zone starts next to each other since they would by definition contradict each other. It is the same as a change in speed limits if you were in a 40mph limit and went into a 50mph limit a 50 mph sign would indicate the end of the 40 restriction there is no need to say 40 limit ends.
Teufel
signs for CPZ hours of operation are required when you enter a zone (not when you exit)

thus at the boundary there are hours of operation signs for entering the zones in each direction

if exiting a CPZ into a non-CPZ there should be signs saying 'zone ends'
jdfi
QUOTE (Teufel @ Tue, 23 Oct 2007 - 09:22) *
signs for CPZ hours of operation are required when you enter a zone (not when you exit)

thus at the boundary there are hours of operation signs for entering the zones in each direction

if exiting a CPZ into a non-CPZ there should be signs saying 'zone ends'

But in this situation, does it not appear that we are going straight from CPZ1 into CPZ2, with no non-CPZ area between?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.