Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mistake on Fixed Penalty Notice
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
burnroyd
Received a fixed penalty notice at the roadside from a mobile radar gun-toting constable (evidently 40mph in a 30 zone - a genuine lapse !). Under "Offence Code" he has written "40mph" and under "Speed" he has written "1502". I assume this is is a simple transposition which would not necessssarily invalidate the FPN. But what is "1502" - I was expecting an SP30 ? Any suggestions - should I raise it when I go to surrender my licence or keep quiet and hope it confuses the system - long shot I know, but this gives me 9 points and I have been trying my best - honest !
The Rookie
FPN's do not contain the DVLA offence codes but they use the forces own codes that may reperesent anything but also tell the person who wil enter the code later what the correct code is (SP30 as you say).

You can't challenge the validity of the FPN, you either accept it, or opt for court, in court the FPN will merely be an item of evidence and the rest of the details will be entered seperately, so there is nothing there that would help you fight it. (if say they changed the road name so that reasonable doubt could be inferred that would be different).

Simon
burnroyd
Glimmer of hope extinguished - thanks for the info anyway. Out of interest, how close do they have to be for the reading to be valid ?
The Rookie
I presume it was a handheld speed gun, in which case its laser, can be used handheld to 500m

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.