Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buggeration, let my tax expire.
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Des
Great start to the week, DVLA wheelclamp on my vehicle this morning, ran out end of July, I had no idea, time goes so fast, never received the reminder which I suppose is down to the postal strike, I'm sure I'm not the only one, they must be dining out on this at the moment. There's no way I would avoid tax on purpose as there are regular 'stings' in my area. I dug out the papers and found that I've let the MOT run out as well, so I then booked it in for an afternoon test, removed the clamp and moved the vehicle to my drive. Don't worry I haven't damaged the clamp, just had to disconnect the top suspension joint, track rod, and brake pipe, thankfully everything came apart easily.
So I've saved £80 for clamp removal, £120 surety, but obviously still have the problem of being caught with an untaxed, un sorn vehicle on the road. I don't suppose I can use the fact that it's been taken for a test to get out of it, as I'd imagine that only covers going to and from the station as opposed to being parked on the road, the only dodgy thing I can see is that the 'Ticket' left on the screen was in a plastic wallet marked penalty charge, but it's not a penalty charge, it's a card stating clamp removal fees. I'm a bit pissed off about this, I know I have to keep my tax up to date but if I had been reminded I would have kept everything up to scratch.
Everyone, unless you know otherwise, check when you're tax is due, in the past we could rely on being reminded, but not anymore. Funny coincidence that when charges get introduced for failing to tax/sorn, the system of reminders seems to become less efficient, a similar coincidence to the timing of local councils losing out on the outrageous cash cow that was poll tax and the birth of decriminalised parking that has turned out to be an outrageous cash cow.
Regards, Des.
muckychimney
icon_hang.gif DOH!!!!
clark_kent
QUOTE (Des @ Mon, 17 Sep 2007 - 14:53) *
Everyone, unless you know otherwise, check when you're tax is due, in the past we could rely on being reminded, but not anymore. Funny coincidence that when charges get introduced for failing to tax/sorn, the system of reminders seems to become less efficient,

When was not taxing a vehicle NOT liable to a fine? The system is computerised I always get mine maybe they just programmed the computer to forget you?

I think your cunning plan has one fatal flaw the DVLA are not going to forget the clamp removal fee just because you was dumb/resourceful (delete as appropriate) enough to remove it. Plus you are still going to get hammered for the back tax and the fine. Any sympathy or mitigating circumstance kind of got lost as soon as you got your socket set out.

ps Don't forget to check your insurance to as that also runs out once a year.
Ocelot
Was your car involved in an accident, written off or subject to a vehicle identity check that hasn't taken place? If so, they won't send you a tax reminder as there is a mark on your file. If not, they should send you one a few weeks before expiry, just as they always did. It might be as well to check.
anotherticket
Not always do you get a reminder, my car has just turned 3 years old, "registered in my name & address" their was no notice that i would need an MOT, luckly for me, i spotted it 2 days before it run out.
So yes, it is a cash cow, set up to catch us out.
Same for my brother with road tax, no reminder.
Grrr
RD400E
My car tax expired over a similar period due to me riding a bike and the wife using the car !! She didn't bother and when we realised the oversight (yes we did get a reminder) I contacted the DVLA. They asked me to tax the car from the current month and they then sent me a request for payment of the oustanding previous month.

As I had approached them first I escaped a penalty. It's when you are reported by the BIB or a member of the public or PA that things can get sticky.

Des, it's likely that someone shopped you to the DVLA as in my experience their computer system is not that hot !!!

Edit to add: If their computer system was so good then why do they feel the need for all those intimidating TV ads ?
clark_kent
QUOTE (RD400E @ Mon, 17 Sep 2007 - 21:36) *
My car tax expired over a similar period due to me riding a bike and the wife using the car !! She didn't bother and when we realised the oversight (yes we did get a reminder) I contacted the DVLA. They asked me to tax the car from the current month and they then sent me a request for payment of the oustanding previous month.

As I had approached them first I escaped a penalty. It's when you are reported by the BIB or a member of the public or PA that things can get sticky.

Des, it's likely that someone shopped you to the DVLA as in my experience their computer system is not that hot !!!

Edit to add: If their computer system was so good then why do they feel the need for all those intimidating TV ads ?

The TV ads are to remind those like the OP to check their tax is in date, their computers and enforcement are pretty hot (in london anyway). The problem in enforcing is that not every car is parked outside the registered address 24/4 so its not like checking a TV licence. The most common approach around here is number plate recognition vans patrolling the streets followed by removals and clampers. The DVLA depot near me is very busy with lifted cars being bought in and then sent off to be crushed.
Gaza
QUOTE (anotherticket @ Mon, 17 Sep 2007 - 21:33) *
Not always do you get a reminder, my car has just turned 3 years old, "registered in my name & address" their was no notice that i would need an MOT, luckly for me, i spotted it 2 days before it run out.
Grrr

You never get a reminder for an MOT. It is your responsibility to check it is valid.
whitewing
QUOTE (clark_kent @ Mon, 17 Sep 2007 - 19:38) *
QUOTE (Des @ Mon, 17 Sep 2007 - 14:53) *
Everyone, unless you know otherwise, check when you're tax is due, in the past we could rely on being reminded, but not anymore. Funny coincidence that when charges get introduced for failing to tax/sorn, the system of reminders seems to become less efficient,

When was not taxing a vehicle NOT liable to a fine? The system is computerised I always get mine maybe they just programmed the computer to forget you?

I think your cunning plan has one fatal flaw the DVLA are not going to forget the clamp removal fee just because you was dumb/resourceful (delete as appropriate) enough to remove it. Plus you are still going to get hammered for the back tax and the fine. Any sympathy or mitigating circumstance kind of got lost as soon as you got your socket set out.

ps Don't forget to check your insurance to as that also runs out once a year.

Is there a specific offence of removing a DVLA clamp? If not then I can't see how they can demand a fee for a service they have not performed....
The Rookie
QUOTE (Gaza @ Mon, 17 Sep 2007 - 22:27) *
QUOTE (anotherticket @ Mon, 17 Sep 2007 - 21:33) *
Grrr

You never get a reminder for an MOT. It is your responsibility to check it is valid.

The last MOTing station is now meant to send off a reminder for the next three years to the invoicing address of the customer, make sure you give them your address and get your free reminder!

Simon
bertz
I may be well off the mark here but i thought i read in one thread on here that should the DVLA have you down (incorrectly) as the owner rather than RK then their computer system can get confused and not send you a reminder?
Des
Thanks all for the comments, I accept I've messed up, but the whole wheelclamp thing is very heavy handed considering that simply sending a letter would have prompted me to keep the tax up to date, ok, the strict enforcement is in place to deal with those who purposely evade tax, (insurance, mot) only problem is, the worst offenders are hardly going to be traceable, so when a law abider makes a little slip up they are hammered. The leaflet left on the screen states that it's an offence to remove the clamp, but without video footage of me doing so it would take some proving, as far as anyones concerned, on realising the vehicle was untaxed I had it uplifted to a yard so as not to be further commiting an offence, and when the clamp fell off the wheel under it's own weight I retained it so a not to present a hazard.
Now what figure would be a reasonable handling / daily storage charge for a clamp.
I'll update here with whatever the outcome is, for reference to anyone who may get caught out, my previous experience a few years ago with penalty charges for failure to re-sorn, (again when no reminder was received) was that completely ignoring them worked. Funny thing, but they have never bothered chasing me for a few very old free to tax cars.
The Rookie
QUOTE (bertz @ Tue, 18 Sep 2007 - 08:33) *
I may be well off the mark here but i thought i read in one thread on here that should the DVLA have you down (incorrectly) as the owner rather than RK then their computer system can get confused and not send you a reminder?

Nope the DVLA only know who the registered keeper is.

Simon
Glacier2
QUOTE (Des @ Thu, 20 Sep 2007 - 00:16) *
Thanks all for the comments, I accept I've messed up, but the whole wheelclamp thing is very heavy handed considering that simply sending a letter would have prompted me to keep the tax up to date, ok, the strict enforcement is in place to deal with those who purposely evade tax, (insurance, mot) only problem is, the worst offenders are hardly going to be traceable, so when a law abider makes a little slip up they are hammered. The leaflet left on the screen states that it's an offence to remove the clamp, but without video footage of me doing so it would take some proving, as far as anyones concerned, on realising the vehicle was untaxed I had it uplifted to a yard so as not to be further commiting an offence, and when the clamp fell off the wheel under it's own weight I retained it so a not to present a hazard.
Now what figure would be a reasonable handling / daily storage charge for a clamp.
I'll update here with whatever the outcome is, for reference to anyone who may get caught out, my previous experience a few years ago with penalty charges for failure to re-sorn, (again when no reminder was received) was that completely ignoring them worked. Funny thing, but they have never bothered chasing me for a few very old free to tax cars.

Have the DVLA been in contact with you since the clamping date? I take it you got a new tax disk by now?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.