Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 76 in a 50 zone - own up or ignore?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
pointless
I have received a NIP for 76mph in a 50 zone which I find hard to believe. I saw the officer in his roadside van having just begun to accelerate from under 30 having driven from a built up area to a dual carriageway. However, I accept I could have hit 65mph as I was overtaking. Having checked out guidelines and posted examples I could get a fine of between £185 and £350 and a certain 6 points. The NIP says if I fail to respond I could get 3 points and a max fine of £1,000. Is failure to respond a better option or do they still pursue a speeding offence as well? Any advice would be appreciated.
pointless
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I have completed the wizard as suggested. Kind regards

NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? - Lancashire
Date of the offence: - August 2007
Date of the NIP: - 8 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 15 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A59(T) Liverpool Rd 50mph nr Lindle Ln (SW), Hutton (C Div) Mobile
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - Not known
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - I had followed a car through a built up area at 25mph. I waited until we left town and the road turned to a 50mph dual carriageway. At the 50mph sign I pulled out and overtook the slow moving vehicle. As I pulled in and slowed down I noticed a mobile camera van in the layby with a camera pointing at me. I drove past at 50mph. I didn't think I had hit a speed higher than 65mph and I had only accelerated for a few seconds prior to braking.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v2.2.3: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 00:01:17 +0100
jeffreyarcher
QUOTE (pointless @ Thu, 30 Aug 2007 - 17:30) *
or do they still pursue a speeding offence as well?

Depends on the constabulary, I don't think that Lancashire do.
In any case, even if they do, the speeding should be easily defeated.
Check your insurance before you decide; some companies charge considerably more for S172 (MS90) points than for speeding (SP30).

Check the dates, though. The NIP Wizard seems to be wrong. On the one hand, it says that you got the NIP on day 15, OTOH it syas that you got it within 14 days. confused2.gif
The day of the offence is day 0.

In any case, do you know why it appeared to take 7 days to reach you?
pointless
Many thanks for your comment Jeffreyarcher.

Unfortunately, I threw away the envelope, but I do know it was not recorded mail. I opened the letter on a Monday with the rest of my post so it may have arrived on the Saturday. I have no other explanation other than a lot of my mail goes next door because we share the same house number but they have a suffix.

The date of the letter was 8 days after the alleged offence.

I don't think it will be a good idea to ignore the NIP as it says on the back they will drag you before a maggotsrate. Am i correct in thinking that the best course of action is to complete the PACE?

You seem to suggest the speeding will be dealt with easily. How come you are so confident?

Kind regards
jeffreyarcher
QUOTE (pointless @ Fri, 31 Aug 2007 - 13:05) *
so it may have arrived on the Saturday.

To utilise late service, you would have to be certain that it arrived on day 15.

QUOTE (pointless @ Fri, 31 Aug 2007 - 13:05) *
You seem to suggest the speeding will be dealt with easily. How come you are so confident?

Clark v DPP.
pointless
I've just read wvm2's thread and I was very interested to find that he didn't get a COFP for the 6 points or more expected and came away with only 3 points and £60 fine. Do all constabularies make this offer when they get a PACE ws or was he lucky?
jeffreyarcher
That sort of decision would be very much down to the particular constabulary.
Noit related to this particular question, but to a previous one.
You don't say what date you received the notice, but assuming that it was on ao after the 27th of August, the tariff for S172 has just gone up to six points.
pointless
Thanks for that titbit, JA. This is getting complicated with goalposts moving faster than a gatso's flash! My NIP was dated and received before 27th Aug so am I right in thinking its only 3 points for not responding in the manner they require or can they slap 6 points in effect backdating the law?. Is an S172 for not filling in the NIP? These offence codes are all new to me.

I am not happy that I'm supposed to have done 76mph and I wonder if it is just coincidence that this is the common cut off point from 3 to 6 points. I know the police can lie about the speed you are doing as I once got stopped on a motorway with my cruise control on 75mph and was shown a Vascar reading of 89mph. I was given the option of a breathalyser or a ticket. No brainer that one! I was so incensed at this lie I still have the caution ticket 8 yrs later. So I intend to send a PACE ws and ask for photo evidence. What's the worse they can do to me?
Bing o
That's exactly the speed I got done at - you'll get an SP30 and 6 points and a £250 fine (not a weeks wages, it's not even a days wages)

If you were overtaking, it may be possible that the other car has affected the reading - may be worth pleading guilty to a lower speed?

Not declaring who was driving will have a bigger impact than an SP30 (Mine did nothing to my insurance, and my car is group 17)
pointless
Thanks Bing O, that's just the kind of info I needed. Its a lot more than a day's wages for me at £250 though! I'll do the PACE ws and hope I get a 3 point COFP and £60 fine. I might have mitigating circumstances as the car I pulled out to overtake did the usual b****rd trick of speeding up as I went past. Don't think he'll have got pulled though.
Bing o
QUOTE (pointless @ Tue, 4 Sep 2007 - 21:02) *
Thanks Bing O, that's just the kind of info I needed. Its a lot more than a day's wages for me at £250 though! I'll do the PACE ws and hope I get a 3 point COFP and £60 fine. I might have mitigating circumstances as the car I pulled out to overtake did the usual b****rd trick of speeding up as I went past. Don't think he'll have got pulled though.

Speeding is an absolute offence - my excuse at the same speed was that I was showing my mate what my car could do, given the obligatory clear road/dry conditions that accompany 9/10 speeding offences.

I'd be interested to see if PACE lowers your punishment - 76-79 is a 6 point penalty with a means tested fine that isn't so far off £250 in a mag court - you can't take a fixed penalty at that speed.

If you want any court fashion tips, get in touch!!

I made the mistake of wearing a £600 suit, and got stung, most of the kackers who racked up in trackies got £50 fines for TWOCing, no insurance etc...
The Rookie
No point using PACE if you intend to plead guilty! If anything, using (as a defence) the PACE ws, will increase the fine over pleading guilty.

Simon
pointless
I didn't get to read Simon's advice before I sent off the PACE which I did because other people on the forum got a COFP back with 3 points and £60 fine, whereas people that didn't PACE got 6 points and £300 fine for similar alleged heinous crime.

I have now received a reply dated 11/9/07 which acknowledges my communication and saysI have not provided admission on the statutory form but in a form attempting to satisfy CJA 1967 and sect 9 of MCA 1980. It says it amounts to an admission satisfying sect 12 of RT Offenders Act 1988 and will be used in evidence, if required.

Regarding Funke v France it says I am subject to English legislation. It says PACE Act 1984 does not apply to such requests. The questions on the NIP were to elicit evidence for the prosecution.

They go on to say I have been misled regards Mawdsley v CC of Cheshire 2004 as the judge said a signed form/statement amounted to confession under sect 82 PACE Act 1984 which fell outside need for caution.Admissibilty has been confirmed by Jones v DPP 2004.

They then say if I want to avoid court ( which I do!) I should complete and return the COFP.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a COFP attached so I don't know what to do. Any advice?

Many thanks for everyone's help so far. Regards, Mark
pointless
I've now managed to scan my reply from Lancs Constabulary into a word document but I can't work out how to include it in my posting. It does seem to be a different letter to what other people have as it does appear to imply that I have complied with the sect 172 requirements and now they just want to make me accept a COFP. Is anyone interested? If so please let me know how to post a copy of the letter.

In the meantime, although the letter invites me to complete and return the COFP none was enclosed with the letter. Any ideas on what I should do next? Regards, Mark
Glacier2
QUOTE (pointless @ Thu, 13 Sep 2007 - 16:23) *
I've now managed to scan my reply from Lancs Constabulary into a word document but I can't work out how to include it in my posting. It does seem to be a different letter to what other people have as it does appear to imply that I have complied with the sect 172 requirements and now they just want to make me accept a COFP. Is anyone interested? If so please let me know how to post a copy of the letter.

In the meantime, although the letter invites me to complete and return the COFP none was enclosed with the letter. Any ideas on what I should do next? Regards, Mark

If it is a £60 and 3 points offer, I would bite the hands off them.
pointless
Hi Glacier

I would dearly like to snap their hands off and while I was at it take 3 points and a £60 fine. However, I have no idea what they have offered me as the COFP referred to was not attached. Does anyone have any experience of this? Does it arrive in a seperate letter? Should I contact them or just wait in the hope that they have forgotten to generate a COFP and this will all die a death? Regards, Mark
picko
QUOTE (Glacier2 @ Thu, 13 Sep 2007 - 20:35) *
If it is a £60 and 3 points offer, I would bite the hands off them.

Which the op would if he had it. You could ring the scammers office asking where it is.....

After recieving it you can let us know
phalanx
Just send them a letter/phone to get it cleared up...
The Rookie
My suspiscion is that it is a stock letter and they have neglected to correct it for your speed, which is why the CoFP isn't in there, however, if you phone and ask its possible they will make another oversight! If you phone be really casual and matter of fact about it and DON'T mention your speed!

Simon
pointless
Thanks for your comments Simon. I also suspect that it is a standard letter. So presumably I wait to get a summons? Or should I ring and risk them realising they have forgotten to send a COFP or even worse forgotten to send a summons? This is a real dilemma. Has anyone else come across this problem?

Regards

Mark
picko
If a summons is likely then ring them up "casually" asking for the COFP will do you no harm
pointless
I finally managed to get through to the number on my letter ( it only accepts calls between 10am and 2 pm and even then its hard to get through) and the helpful lady said she had no idea of the content of the letter they sent but knew it had been sent out. She said that as the speed was 76mph in a 50mph I would not get a COFP but would get a summons, despite the standard letter asking me to complete the COFP (which wasn't attached). Looks like I am now in a waiting game. How long should I wait beofre it times out?

Pointless regards
nemo
QUOTE (pointless @ Sat, 13 Oct 2007 - 17:55) *
How long should I wait beofre it times out?

They have to commence proceedings (by the laying of an information at the Magistrates' Court) within 6 calendar months of the date of the alleged offence.
nimh999
QUOTE (Bing o @ Tue, 4 Sep 2007 - 23:37) *
If you want any court fashion tips, get in touch!!

I made the mistake of wearing a £600 suit, and got stung, most of the kackers who racked up in trackies got £50 fines for TWOCing, no insurance etc...

QUOTE (Bing o @ Mon, 3 Sep 2007 - 16:06) *
£250 fine (not a weeks wages, it's not even a days wages)

If you had turned up in your normal work clothes (a balaclava or stocking on your head) you too would have got a £50 fine.
pointless
What do you think of this? The local constabulary have admitted to the local press that they incorrectly calibrated their speed guns and as a result a large number of drivers in my area have been unfairly targetted as murderous criminals. The laugh is that they won't admit when it happened or what locations it affects as they would be unindated with claims from hundreds of innocent motorists. What a swiz. So they are now slowly working through hundreds of cases to contact motorists who have either been convicted or who await conviction. That means that I could be innocent of my alleged offence (which I am), but could still be convicted whilst awaiting confirmation that the camera that got me was faulty. How does anyone know whether they contact the correct people, knowing how incompetent the case handlers appear to be? Surely the information should be placed in the public domain to ensure that everyone has a chance to see if they have been caught by these dodgy scameras? if I go to court can I take the newspaper article along and ask for my case to be adjourned until it can be confirmed which cameras/locations were affected?

Regards and good luck to you all, still Pointless
The Rookie
You just have to play a waiting game right now....but if you get a summons we can guide you on the right questiuons to ask...for simplicity they will probaby make sure no further action is taken on live cases first anyway...

Simon
roythebus
You don't have the misfortune to live in Kent do you? Land of the totally useless police, mags, cps...I could go on.
The Rookie
...combined CoFP/NIP/S172.....

Simon
pointless
I was scammed in Lancashire, land of hot pots and suspended speed gun calibrators.

Incidentally, my car is made of fibreglass. Is this of any relevance to the accuracy of laser guns?
The Rookie
None at all, radar perhaps, but not laser...

I hadn't heard of lancs having a problem, where have you heard this from?

Simon
pointless
Hi Simon

It was in the Lancashire Evening Post and several smaller papers in the area. I'd give you the website details but I haven't got the time to dig them out as my wife is about to kick me off the computer. Do a google search on 'lancashire speed calibration error' and you will get all the info you need.

Regards

Pointless (but far how long!)
pointless
It's now several months since I lasted posted on this topic so to recap..... I received a NIP for doing 76 in a 50 zone. I remembered seeing the police van and wasn't sure whether I was speeding or not as I had pulled out to overtake on a dual carriageway then tucked back in again. I certainly didn't think I was doing 76mph. I completed the wizard and sent off the NIP unsigned but with the wizard standard letter attached. I then got a letter back saying that my wizard letter was no defence and I would be prosecuted if I didn't accept the attached conditional offer which I was prepared to do if it was only 3 points and £60 fine. However, there wasn't a COP attached so I left it a couple of weeks and rang up. The girl was very vague but said that there was no COP attached as I would be seen in court due to the 76mph allegation. Apparently, the letter I was sent was a standard letter hence the reason it referred to an unattached COP. I was told to wait for a court letter. That's the last I heard.

It is now more than 6 calendar months and 2 weeks since the date of the incident. What happens next? Has there been a court hearing I don't know about? Does this thing ever time out or do I just keep waiting? Any advice would be much appreciated. Regards, Still Pointless
saracengb
You could always ring the court and ask them if an information has been laid against you. However this isn't foolproof as other on here have found. One member even contacted the court, was told categorically no information laid. Then received a summons. Apparently an email was sent but the clerk wasn't aware of it I think.
Search function isn't working at the moment so I can't find the thread mad.gif
Court would be local to the scammers btw - not to you.

pointless
Thank you for that reply, but I don't think I'll be making any phone calls for a while yet! Although I didn't complete the NIP I do have a response from the police scammers dept that clearly states that my PACE letter is an accepted admission, even quoting case law. I have had no response since so I don't think I should have any problems with S172. Is there any time limit applicable to the issuing of a summons after details have been laid at the mag court? Surely they can't leave this hanging over me for years to come? Regards, Hopefully Pointless

Bradders
You've nothing at all to lose by ringing the Mags court IME...they were helpful in my case, scanned their systems and confirmed that no informations had been laid (which are the golden words that you want to hear). Just make sure that you get the full name of the person you're speaking to and record it. Some people on here have managed to obtain letters confirming the conversation.

They don't ring the scammers if thats what you're concerned about!
pointless
Its a couple of months since I last posted and I would just like to thank everyone for their help and advice. It looks like there are no charges laid against me since the supposed 'offence' in August last year. I am convinced that it was the use of the Pepipoo letter that stalled them enough to forget about me. What a great site for advice. You have saved me lots of cash and points. Many thanks, Mark
The Rookie
One for success strories, well done.

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.