Im 19 and have been driving for 2 years.
I had a crash on the 24th May on the motorway, mway was pretty busy, car in front of me braked and i went into back of it, this then went into another car. Officer at scene said he intended to send me on a driving improvement course.
Got a letter from court last thursday saying that they were charging me for driving without due care and attention, charging me for driving without insurance and failure to produce insurance on time.
I can understand the driving without due care and attention, yes she braked but if i was a safe stopping distance away etc. etc.
However the insurance is a different matter, i was insured on the car but had recently changed my numberplates to private ones, i had done everything it said on the registration document such as telling the dvla and getting a new v5 document, mot certificate, tax etc. Insurance wasnt mentioned, i thought i had done everything i needed to do and assumed that insurance would have been updated by dvla. When i rang about crash they asked numberplate and i said the private one, they said the old one so i told them i had changed it and sent a new certificate through. New certificate is dated starting on the 29th may, had to send the old one back. Therefore police have only seen new one dated 29th so are doing me for not having insurance even though i was insured on the car but unfortunately an oversight on my part i hadnt told them of number plate change.

And as for not producing insurance, i went to police station, gave the woman everything, she said insurance didnt match because of registration. I told her i was waiting for amended one to be sent through and would she send it through anyway, she wouldnt so therefore producer was late by time amended one got sent through.

What should i do? I am going to try see a solicitor tonight, my initial thought is to plead guilty on driving without due care and attention and not guilty on the insurance ones. I have been given very little time to respond to this, got it on thursday, they want a reply within 7 days and bearing in mind work, the weekend and the bank holiday dont think theyve given me much of a chance.

HELP PLEASE!