Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speed trap
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
futilisticfem
I was accused of speeding recently in N Yorks on the A1m by PC in a patrol car with a Prolaser 3. He said he had logged at 91 mph at 1200 ft. I was a bit fed up and had been driving for over 6 hours in heavy traffic due to an RTA on the M1 earlier. He told me to get out of my car and sit in the back of his vehicle.I said id rather stand as I had been sat down for such a long time but he insisted. He wrote out a ticket and asked me to sign it. I refused. He then said he would have to take me to court.
17 days later I received the NIP together with a calibration certificate for the 5 yr old laser gun and the PC's statement which in no way ressembles anything I said and makes me out to be an out-and -out ignorant lawbreaker.
Im wondering why he picked on me as there was heavy traffic and lorries passing between me and the gun. he has written in his statement that I "wanted to be taken to court as I would not have to pay to fine". (The court is a 600 mile round trip and will mean staying over night).
Don't suppose the 14 day rule applies to this? And does anyone know anything about the range of the prolaser?
NEJ
Ref: Pro Laser Guns:

Try reading the ACPO Guidelines, page 66:

Laser or optical hand-held devices may be used from within a vehicle provided there are no radio transmissions during the measurement. Any GSM phones must be turned off and any TETRA radios turned off unless they have a transmission inhibit switch, which is activated.
The beam must not be projected through glass or mirrors.
The power source must not be taken directly from any vehicle but always from the type approved independent supply.
futilisticfem
Cheers NEJ...I will get the book and have also come across an article from the Daily Mail 17/02/06 stating that a court ruled that readings from pro laser 3 guns were unreliable after a man was aussused by police of doing 132 mph. the car had an electronic speed limiter which had not been deactivated. Also the police once visited my sons primary school and he asked if he could 'have a go with the gun'. He pointer it at a cyclist coming up the road and it gave a reading of 42 mph! The officer, however, informed him that it shouldnt be used on cyclists!

Not sure how im going to plead on this one though as the expense worries me to death.
busman
You need to find out if the pro laser lll had anything attached to it(cctv for uinstance),as some forces were using cctv with the pro laser ll even though they weren't type approved at the time.Any item attached to a speed camera device needs to be type approved.
futilisticfem
Thanks Busman. Dont think anything was attached and even if there was I dont think I have the kind of money to fight this. I argued with the scammer and so he hit me with a summons straight away even tho the speed table states that I should have got a ticket. I refused to sign the ticket so whenever you dont show enough humility you get well and truely hammered.
busman
I'm sure that if you contacted the police and asked for information on the pro laser lll and if there was anything attached to it,(If yes,then check for type approval),then they would release the info. to you.You can request info. under the freedom of information act. It may also cover the Disclosure of Expert Evidence act 2003.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.