Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When does the limit change?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
supervan
Alright guys, here's what happened today...

On a dual carriageway, national speed limit, there are roadworks.
A contraflow is in force, and a temporary 40 limit.
At the end of the contraflow, cones end and signs indicate end of roadworks, but then, nothing else. No signs tell us that national speed limit is reapplied.
So, like everyone else, I assume the road is back to normal, and proceed to overtake an HGV.
Then, the camera van in a layby. Saw the van half a mile off and anchored back down to 40, so I think I was OK, but the HGV driver didn't see it as quick and gave me a hoot for braking as soon as I pulled back in front of him... sorry mate!

So does close of roadworks automatically mean NSL is reapplied? Or should I have waited until the next reminder NSL sign (about 4 miles further on?)
SMURF POWER
QUOTE (supervan @ Mon, 20 Aug 2007 - 19:00) *
Or should I have waited until the next reminder NSL sign (about 4 miles further on?)

only 4 miles laugh.gif laugh.gif

yep wait until told diff
Ziltro
It depends what the traffic order says. The speed limit can only be there if there is a traffic order saying it is.

It is very common now to extend the (already un-nessecary) speed limit way, way beyond the road works in both directions, so you can never be sure.
jeffreyarcher
0/10 SP & Ziltro. wink.gif

cones end and signs indicate end of roadworks, but then, nothing else. No signs tell us that national speed limit is reapplied.

It seems to be a state secret (well almost; it's in the regs.), but it is widely unknown by motorists at large, (and many councils and contractors) that there should not normally [*] be a NSL speed limit signs at the end of a temporary road works limit. The normal red triangle 'Road Works' sign + a 'End' plate [#] signifies the return to the pre-road works limit.
[*] The only exception is if the underlying 'real' limit changed during the temporary limit, in which case there should also be a pair of terminal signs to indicate the new limit.
[#] Or the combination sign showing these two on a yellow backing with the 'Highways Agency Sorry for any Delay' sign.

So, like everyone else, I assume the road is back to normal,

Chill cool.gif, it was.

does close of roadworks automatically mean NSL is reapplied?

Not the end of actual works, but the 'Road Works' + 'End' sign, as above.

the next reminder NSL sign (about 4 miles further on?)
Well that's wrong for a start;
There shouldn't be NSL rreminders unless there are street light, in which case, they should be far more frequent than every 4 miles (500 m IIRC).
The Rookie
QUOTE (jeffreyarcher @ Tue, 21 Aug 2007 - 02:02) *
the next reminder NSL sign (about 4 miles further on?)

Well that's wrong for a start;
There shouldn't be NSL rreminders unless there are street light, in which case, they should be far more frequent than every 4 miles (500 m IIRC).

UNLESS the road works weren't in a lit section and the repeater was at the start of a lit section of course (tenuous I know, but not impossible!)

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.