Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3 points for parking on zig zags
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
robdjbenson
Hi all,

Im after some info on what exactly the law states when parking on zig zag lines just before a zebra crossing.

On wednesday morning i was at work in my works van, working as a courier driver. My boss rang me and asked me to do a collection from a local buisness in Nantwich cheshire, so off i went and parked up just a few yards from where i was collecting from and parked in the same place i always park when delivering or collecting to this particular buisness. The goods we collect are often very heavy hence why we park there. Outside there premises there is a zebra crossing with zig zag lines either side of it and after the zig zags there are double yellow lines either side that run all the way down the street.
When i pulled up a police car drove past me and the copper had a good look at me then drove off round the corner, i then went into the premises i was collecting from to find out the order i was collecting would not be ready for another 10 minutes. whilst i was waiting i nipped round the corner to the post office to get 6 months tax for my own vehicle and was gone for about 7-8 minutes.
When i returned to my works van the same copper was parked up behind my van and had already written out a ticket and told me i was having a fixed penalty notice of £60 and 3 points on my licence for parking a vehicle dangerously on zig zag lines, ( it wasn't parked dangerously at all ) not only that i was unlucky in the fact the copper was a complete twat with me, talking down to me like i was a little kid and basically being a prat about the whole situation. The copper told me he had given me every available oppurtunity to move the vehicle which in my eyes was a load of bollocks as all he had to do when he first drove past me was to stop and say excuse me sir but you cannot park there and i would of happily moved the van to another location. Now im not moaning about being given a fine for this but i am very angry at the way i was treated and the fact i am getting 3 points on a clean licence all because of a copper on a power trip.

Below is a pic i took from inside my van as evidence of just how far i was from the zebra crossing, i was parked half on the curb and half on the road.

In my view the copper couldn't wait to issue a ticket and gave me no oppertunity at all to move and i need to no where i stand as i have to take my driving licence to my local plod shop to surrender it within 7 days of the offence. The copper told me he was also reporting me for the offence so what does that mean ????. Does that mean he wants to see me in court cos if it does then he's got 2 hopes - Bob hope and no hope.
The copper also told me that if i had of parked on the double yellow lines i would of also got a ticket for this, i parked where i parked because i wont park on double yellows unless its an emergency.

Can anyone help me get out of this as i feel as if i have been unfairly treated over this, fine yes - points no...

Thanks.....
oldone
The policeman is correct, it is dangerous to park on zig zag lines.These lines are there to prevent oncoming vehicles view of people using the crossing being blocked by parked cars.Perhaps the policeman 'talked down at you' because you demonstrated a lack of awareness as to what the zig zag lines are for.
chadders
Highway Code - MUST/MUST NOT = law
Gumby
I'm afraid, I will have to agree too. It is dangerous for children and other pedestrians crossing if they cannot see, or if other vehicles approaching the crossing cannot see pedestrains crossing, because of your vans obstructing the view. Hence why zig-zags are marked out. It is illegal to park on these markings or the crossing itself. The copper was correct in issuing the ticket and why should he give you an oppourtunity to move? You parked there to make a delivery and then go to the post office. There is also no time limit that you are allow to park there. The offence is complete as soon as you park on the markings. In hindsight you would have been better off parking on the double yellow lines, at least then you would have only suffered with a £30 fine and 0 points.

The way, the officer spoke to you is a different matter entirely, it may have seemed he was taking down at you, but hopefully he was trying explain to you about not parking on zig-zags as obviously you obviously didn't know it was an offence
nimh999
QUOTE (robdjbenson @ Fri, 6 Jul 2007 - 09:52) *
When i pulled up a police car drove past me and the copper had a good look at me then drove off round the corner, ..............

............. The copper told me he had given me every available oppurtunity to move the vehicle which in my eyes was a load of bollocks as all he had to do when he first drove past me was to stop and say excuse me sir

I agree with the previous comments, in that you really shouldn't have parked on the Zig Zags. Instant ticket in my opinion. If you saw him as he drove past and still left it there don't you think you were being a little arrogant. Zig Zags really are there for a reason.

The Police Officer driving around the corner was giving you the opportunity to move. He could have/should have stopped there and then.

It's like leaving your van parked on yellow lines, a traffic warden walking past. You toddle off to do your business and when you come back 10 minutes later to find a ticket stuck to your windscreen. And then you ask why the traffic warden didn't ask you to move?
redloner
You're bang to rights I'm afraid!

The coppers' word against yours.

As you parked on the zigzag lines on the approach to the crossing, half on the curb, (also on the exit of a 90% right-hand bend) you were in a dangerous and obstructive position. The fact you decided to take an eight hundred yard round trip walk to the Post Office, with the inevitable delay while you taxed your vehicle suggests you pretty much didn't care about where you were, or what you were doing.

Chances of mitigating factors, nil.

You'll have to swallow the penalty.
borsicorn
Im after some info on what exactly the law states when parking on zig zag lines just before a zebra crossing.

Shocking, really, isn't it?

How much is a Highway code these days? About £2.49 last time I looked.

The typical white van man, parking on the footpath, never mind pedestrians or disabled people trying to go about their lawful business.

I'm curious how long the OP has been driving, if he still doesn't know what the road markings mean.
sarahg1969
"Im after some info on what exactly the law states when parking on zig zag lines just before a zebra crossing."

Everyone knows you don't park on zig-zags.

And if you don't, maybe you need a refresher course, or something?
borsicorn
An indication of the mentality of the OP can be gleaned by reading some of his previous posts here. Just read this:

Wheel clamping firms should be made illiegal as what they are doing is an absolute travesty, i was parked in a supermarket car park in birmingham and come back to my car to find it had been clamped, and ordered to pay £96 for its release..... so i paniced and then threatend to ram there van if they never moved, i gave them 3 chances to move and after the 3 time of asking them i rammed there van then drove off, what a result, they lost a wheel clamp, got a smashed bumper in the process and i gained a wheel clamp and no damage to my own vehicle I hope yer get yer case sorted mate..... I did.....
roythebus
Quite dangerous in my opinion. The ONLY vehicle allowed to stop on a zig-zag (apart from the usual emergency/street repairs and breakdowns) is a bus on zig-zgas beyond a crossing to pick up and set down passengers at a bus stop.

Sorry white van man, you're justifiably nicked. At least on DYs there's a chance you'll get away with it, lines without T bars etc.
Gaza
When i returned to my works van the same copper was parked up behind my van and had already written out a ticket and told me i was having a fixed penalty notice of £60 and 3 points on my licence for parking a vehicle dangerously on zig zag lines, ( it wasn't parked dangerously at all ) not only that i was unlucky in the fact the copper was a complete twat with me, talking down to me like i was a little kid and basically being a prat about the whole situation.

In my view the copper couldn't wait to issue a ticket and gave me no oppertunity at all to move and i need to no where i stand as i have to take my driving licence to my local plod shop to surrender it within 7 days of the offence. The copper told me he was also reporting me for the offence so what does that mean ????.

As others have said your are bang to rights.

What is not clear is the two conflicting statements above. Either he gave you a fixed penalty or he was reporting you for consideration of prosecution.

Does that mean he wants to see me in court cos if it does then he's got 2 hopes - Bob hope and no hope.

If they do summons you then ignoring it won't make it go away. Expect to find a warrnat issued for your arrest.
The Rookie
Not sure why the OP doesn't just put the cuffs on himself, as he certainly seems to e pressing the self destruct button, that or he's full of **IT and none of his tales is true, just provoking us!

Simon
BaggieBoy
If you look back at the OPs old posts he talks about being on 9 points and about to lose 2 jobs. Now all of a sudden he has a clean licence, I don't believe a word he says.
Gumby
Gaza - to clarify the statement the original OP gives isn't conflicting. It seems he was reported for the offence on parking on zig-zags and then issued with a fixed penalty notice, (instead of being reported for summons). Also no verbal NIP is required for an offence of zig-zags, like it is for speeding, no entry sign etc...

I think it is safe to say, as the original OP hasn't posted any follow up post that he now accepts he was wrong in parking there and hasn't got any mitigation or defence.
Fight it
I see this everyday outside two schools in my street and I feel like running up the side of every car parked where they shouldnt be and ripping there wing mirrors off!!! bunch of lazy self indulged people!

More tickets from the police please for this offence please, just as bad as folk who arent disabled parking in disabled spaces, self indulged tossers, rant over ohmy.gif
patdavies
QUOTE (Fight it @ Mon, 9 Jul 2007 - 22:06) *
I see this everyday outside two schools in my street and I feel like running up the side of every car parked where they shouldnt be and ripping there wing mirrors off!!! bunch of lazy self indulged people!

More tickets from the police please for this offence please, just as bad as folk who arent disabled parking in disabled spaces, self indulged tossers, rant over ohmy.gif

For most of these, tickets are not possible.

The YELLOW zig-zag markings are painted on by Councils, who in the vast majority of cases do not bother the the time , trouble and expense of a TRO.
robdjbenson
hmmm this should be interseting where do i start, well for a start everything i wrote was true exactly as it happend. Ive excepted i was in the wrong on this ocasion, i came here for advice and advice is what i got , i miss understood the law about zig zig lines for which im fully aware now thankyou and i will be looking at the highway code again as it is 17 years since i looked at one and that was when i passed my test.

Quote.....

The typical white van man, parking on the footpath, never mind pedestrians or disabled people trying to go about their lawful business

Reply.....

no typical white van man about it. everyone has it in for white van man, now how the hell are we supposed to do our job when there is lack of parking spaces close to buisnesses, the goods we sometimes collect are far to heavy to maul around town and someone like me who already has a problem with his back is not good news, i certainly dont make a habit of parking on zig zags and if i can get my works van as close as possible it helps in the long run and i dont get ball ache off me boss. the road where i parked had a plenty big enuff path so it caused no obstruction to the pensions or passers by.

Quote...... benson - BORSICORN

Wheel clamping firms should be made illiegal as what they are doing is an absolute travesty, i was parked in a supermarket car park in birmingham and come back to my car to find it had been clamped, and ordered to pay £96 for its release..... so i paniced and then threatend to ram there van if they never moved, i gave them 3 chances to move and after the 3 time of asking them i rammed there van then drove off, what a result, they lost a wheel clamp, got a smashed bumper in the process and i gained a wheel clamp and no damage to my own vehicle I hope yer get yer case sorted mate..... I did.....

I see you only copy n pasted the bits that make me out to be something im not, i was threatend by these illiegal clampers with acts of violence hence the reason i panicked, i was out numbered for a start and they were'nt small guys either. first they threatend to call the police so i asked them to call them then they did'nt like that so i was threatend further. Wot would you do in that situation being told there is a van full of there mates up the road on there way.... people react in different ways to threats i had no mobile phone with me to call the police myself and my car was boxed in with only 1ft of space in front and behind my car.. im not pleased with myself for the action i took that particular day but it done the job and got me out of a very threatening sitution.

Quote......

What is not clear is the two conflicting statements above. Either he gave you a fixed penalty or he was reporting you for consideration of prosecution

Reply.....

He issued me the ticket first and just before he let me get back on with work he said he would be reporting me for the offence, those were his words.... so im confused myself as to what now happens, does it go to court or not, im gettin back in touch with the copper concerned to try and clarify the matter so im fully aware.

Quote.....

Not sure why the OP doesn't just put the cuffs on himself, as he certainly seems to e pressing the self destruct button, that or he's full of **IT and none of his tales is true, just provoking us!

Simon

Reply....

believe what you want mate, if it wasn't true i wouldn't be wasting my time on here now would i, asking advice, i have better things to do with what little bit of time off work i get. as for self destruct very very far from it....

Quote....

If you look back at the OPs old posts he talks about being on 9 points and about to lose 2 jobs. Now all of a sudden he has a clean licence, I don't believe a word he says.

hahahaha beleive it cos those 9 points became extint last november, 6 were taken off speeding and the other 3 also for speeding were removed november, since then i have tried to abide to the laws of the road as best as i can as im sick of having a points on my licence, its been 3 n half years now since i was last convicted of a motoring offence. would you like to come visit me at my house and come and view my licence your more than welcome, just as soon as DVLA have returned it with the 3 new points for the zig zag.

Quote....

I think it is safe to say, as the original OP hasn't posted any follow up post that he now accepts he was wrong in parking there and hasn't got any mitigation or defence.

Reply....

i have'nt been able to reply till today due to work, i have accepted i was in the wrong and wont be contesting it, i came on here as i wanted to find out exactly what the law stated about zig zags as for some strange reason i was confused about it.... i now know the law and wont be parking on zig zags again.....

Thanks.....
BaggieBoy
QUOTE (robdjbenson @ Thu, 12 Jul 2007 - 14:07) *
Quote....

hahahaha beleive it cos those 9 points became extint last november, 6 were taken off speeding and the other 3 also for speeding were removed november, since then i have tried to abide to the laws of the road as best as i can as im sick of having a points on my licence, its been 3 n half years now since i was last convicted of a motoring offence. would you like to come visit me at my house and come and view my licence your more than welcome, just as soon as DVLA have returned it with the 3 new points for the zig zag.

So what happened about the two more recent NIPs from May and September last year?
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry134635
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry106878
Gumby
Robdjbenson - I wouldn't worry about going to court. The officer reported you for the offence and dealt with it there and then by means of a fixed penalty ticket. As long as you pay the fine within 28 days and produce your documents (if it was a provisional ticket) and surrender your driver licence at the same time, this will be sent off to DVLA for the 3 points to be endorsed. As long as this is done, police will not take any further action.
robdjbenson
QUOTE (Gumby @ Thu, 12 Jul 2007 - 16:31) *
Robdjbenson - I wouldn't worry about going to court. The officer reported you for the offence and dealt with it there and then by means of a fixed penalty ticket. As long as you pay the fine within 28 days and produce your documents (if it was a provisional ticket) and surrender your driver licence at the same time, this will be sent off to DVLA for the 3 points to be endorsed. As long as this is done, police will not take any further action.

Yeah its all sorted now, ive surreneded my licence for points to be added and paid the fine, the only thing i was worried about was if the copper was taking it further as in going to court.
robdjbenson
So what happened about the two more recent NIPs from May and September last year?
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry134635
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry106878

The september nip - i wrote to the manchester office in december and i haven't heard anything else from them since then.

The one in may - turns out it wasn't me driving, it was another of our drivers also working in the area at the time who had blatently tried to pass the points on to me, that matter has been sorted out now and the other driver recieved the points and no longer works for the company i was working for at the time.
Steve_k
This crossing make me laugh every day a bus stop on the zigzag lines a copper could have all the bus drivers in the city banned within a few weeks if he wanted

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=e...c=addr&om=1
patdavies
QUOTE (Steve_k @ Fri, 13 Jul 2007 - 21:24) *
This crossing make me laugh every day a bus stop on the zigzag lines a copper could have all the bus drivers in the city banned within a few weeks if he wanted

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=e...c=addr&om=1

No, a marked bus stop within the zig-zag after the crossing is lawful
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.