Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Am I iin the clear??
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Casey
I was caught speeding by a camera last September.

I filled in the form admititng that I was the driver.

I was offered the chance to pay £60 and get three points if I paid by 25th October

Eventually I decided I'd better send off my cheque and licence. (23rd October)

To my horror, I discovered that I'd misplaced my paper counterpart and phoned the Sheriff's Clerk. She advised that if I didn't have all documentation then they weren't interested and a court summons would be issued, though it might take a while.

Here we are some seven and a half months later and all is quiet.

I am in Glasgow and am dealing with Strathclyde's boys in blue.

This is my first post, so apologies if this is covered elsewhere. I've read loads of the threads today but didn't see anything to perfectly match my situation.
Quattro
QUOTE (Casey @ Mon, 11 Jun 2007 - 15:53) *
I was caught speeding by a camera last September.

I filled in the form admititng that I was the driver.

I was offered the chance to pay £60 and get three points if I paid by 25th October

Eventually I decided I'd better send off my cheque and licence. (23rd October)

To my horror, I discovered that I'd misplaced my paper counterpart and phoned the Sheriff's Clerk. She advised that if I didn't have all documentation then they weren't interested and a court summons would be issued, though it might take a while.

Here we are some seven and a half months later and all is quiet.

I am in Glasgow and am dealing with Strathclyde's boys in blue.

This is my first post, so apologies if this is covered elsewhere. I've read loads of the threads today but didn't see anything to perfectly match my situation.

I bet she is a nice person really rolleyes.gif

They have until March (same day as the day in Septemeber) to lay an information with the court.

If you know which court it would be, phone them and ask if an information has been laid.

It could be that

1/. It got lost in the post (or they didnt bother sending it) and have set a court date.

2/. They couldn't be bothered or have given up - you have got away with it. Probable biggrin.gif

3/. You have already been convicted in your absence - best to phone the court to find out.
Casey
I bet she is a nice person really rolleyes.gif

They have until March (same day as the day in Septemeber) to lay an information with the court.

If you know which court it would be, phone them and ask if an information has been laid.

It could be that

1/. It got lost in the post (or they didnt bother sending it) and have set a court date.

2/. They couldn't be bothered or have given up - you have got away with it. Probable biggrin.gif

3/. You have already been convicted in your absence - best to phone the court to find out.

I was happy to let sleeping dogs lie rather than giving them a wake-up call.

I assume you meant March 2007 (6 months from offence)
jeffreyarcher
Quattro refers to the position in England & Wales.
Assuming that you have not changed your address, or anything like that, you're off; forget it. thumbsup.gif occasion16.gif
Why was it the Sheriff Court? Were there any unusually serious circumstances, e.g. a particularly high speed (although the issuance of a COFP would seem to indicate not)?
Casey
QUOTE (jeffreyarcher @ Wed, 13 Jun 2007 - 01:15) *
Why was it the Sheriff Court? Were there any unusually serious circumstances, e.g. a particularly high speed (although the issuance of a COFP would seem to indicate not)?

1. Pass
2. Nothing unusual - 40 in a 30

Hope you're right. That would be good news (or lack of).

Would you risk phoning them???
Gaza
QUOTE (Casey @ Wed, 13 Jun 2007 - 08:12) *
Would you risk phoning them???

There is no real risk in doing so. As stated above they must lay the information with the court within 6 months of the date of the offense. You are well past that date. By phoning the court you are only verifying that nothing has been laid. If it has, and it was within the 6 months, then the chances are the summons has gone astray. This in its self will not be enough to get you off the hook but may lead you to being convicted in your absense. A phone call will put your mind at rest once and for all.
nip me baby one more time
And get the name of the person you spoke to and write up a memo of the interview recording what was said.

Just in case.
Casey
Cheers guys, I'll let you know how I got on.
Dylan
How did you get on? mellow.gif Happy ending to this story, I hope!? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.