Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Illegal turn- PCN by CCTV
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Adenuff
We have just received a PCN (CCTV) for one of our vehicles "failing to comply with a sign indicating a prohibited sign".

The sign was a no U turn sign at a set of traffic lights with a pedestrian island. However our vehicle proceeded 50 yards past the island before making the turn.

The question is for how far does a restriction indicated by a sign apply?

Appreciate any advice
Box Clever
QUOTE (Adenuff @ Thu, 24 May 2007 - 11:05) *
The question is for how far does a restriction indicated by a sign apply?

Having spoken to taxi drivers I know this is a common problem. I have never researched it but I would imaging that the will be a number of appeals on record at PATAS dealing with, and clarifying, this issue.
legaladviser
You might also challenge whether there was a "turn" at all. See Kennedy v LB Camden in the PATAS newletter here:

http://www.parkingandtrafficappeals.gov.uk...decembert04.doc
angelman
I've looked at the Highway Code as well as Tfl's site on signs, and there is no mention of distance what so ever (and I presume that this was in London). http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/finesandregulations/959.aspx

Although I am sure that others will bring up case studies, I really do think that this is a bit harsh. For all you know the U turn ban might extend for 5 miles. Surely in order for the sign to have any meaning it should state the distance the order applies to.

Appeal.
eddie1234567
Isn't No U turns one of those that once you see one, unless it says a distance on it, is in play until you see and End of restriction sign (or change streets), with the saving grace that it must be repeated along the road (or at least after each entrance onto the road )
MAGOO
QUOTE (eddie1234567 @ Thu, 24 May 2007 - 14:04) *
Isn't No U turns one of those that once you see one, unless it says a distance on it, is in play until you see and End of restriction sign (or change streets), with the saving grace that it must be repeated along the road (or at least after each entrance onto the road )

i might be wrong - and oftern am but after taking several driving tests for different vehicles over the last few years this has never been mentioned. a no u turn surely aplies to the junction where it is sited. if it aplied to a stretch of road surely at the end of the restriction there would have to be an 'end of no u turn' sign - what would that look like??
isnt it like a 'no right turn' at a junction, it means at the junction where it is sited - if the next junction doesnt have a sign indicating 'no right turn' you couldnt be prosicuted for turning right based on the sign at the previous junction!
Adenuff
Thanks for the input, all.

Think I feel a challenge coming on
Adenuff
OK - for anyone that is interested or has a similar issue, I am appealing this.

This is my thinking.

In Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002, a no U turn sign is diagram 614.

In Traffic Signs General Directions 2002, direction 10 indicates certain signs which may be sited to indicate the "beginning of a restriction, requirement, prohibition or speed limit".

Sign 614 is not listed as one of the signs, therefore a no u-turn sign on its own does not indicate the beginning of a prohibition but a prohibition only at the point it is sited.

However Sign 614 may be varied by sign 570 ( plate indicating "for X distance") and sign 645 (plate indicating "end")

Since the sign concerned in my case was not varied the PCN was issued incorrectly

Any views on my logic???

Cheers all
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.