Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NIP received after 23 days - advice needed
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
d.hd
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice regarding a NIP i've received. The NIP was received on the 16/05, and the offence was on the 23/04 (I was caught by a Gatso at 38mph in a 30 zone). I'm not sure where I stand with this, as the car is registered at my old address (I moved in Dec 06 but forgot to update my details). The NIP is dated 15/05, so it appears they haven't tried to send it to my old address, it's just come directly to the new one.

This is my first speeding offence so I'm not sure whether to just accept it, as I may get away with a caution and the speed awareness course, as I wasn't much over the limit. Does anyone know if this is likely, it's in the Lancashire constabulary.

Thanks for any advice
andy_foster
Please visit the READ ME FIRST section (Click Here), answer all the questions in the NIP Wizard, and then post the Wizard's output back here to enable us to help you.

QUOTE (d.hd @ Sun, 20 May 2007 - 18:18) *
The NIP is dated 15/05, so it appears they haven't tried to send it to my old address, it's just come directly to the new one.

Where would they have got your current address from if they didn't send a NIP to the address on your V5C?
d.hd
Hi Andy,

Here's the details from the wizard:

These are the answers you've given so far:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - No
Was there a valid reason for the NIP's late arrival? - Unsure
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

No idea where the police got the new address info from, all my insurance, bills etc are at my new address, so they may have found it from there. I updated my V5 several months ago, I checked this to see which address I'd put as I couldn't remember whether it was before or after i'd moved, but the address on my V5 is my old one.

Thanks for your help
jeffreyarcher
They would have no cause to check the Motor Insurance Database, as a amtter of course, because the 28 days from the first one (if sent) wasn't up. I think it's more likeley that the current occupant has returned it, either giving your new details, or marked 'not known at this address'.
Even if that's not what happened, because the delay was due to you not having updated the details, that would be a reason for late service (assuming that they did send one to the RK as recorded by the DVLA in time).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.