Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help, Dodgy parking ticket?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
sibber
I recieved a ticket (parking charge) last tuesday for parking in a superbowl car park which i have used for the last year or so. However the part i parked in has now signs up saying it is private land and there is no parking allowed. Obviously i didnt see these signs as i am used to parking here but im not contesting the ticket itself per se. It just seems to me that the company (parksafe.uk.com) seems a bit dodgy to me. Apparently i can only pay by post or online but i cannot get onto their website as it seems to be down and has been for the last week. Furthermore there is no signiture from a parking attendent or any attendent number whatsoever on the ticket. There is no option of a reduced charge if i pay early but as i am currently on jobseekers allowence i wrote off to them on the day i recieved the ticket for a schedule of payment structures as described in part 3 of the ticket.
I was just wondering if any of your experienced minds could help me.

Regards, Neil (I will try to scan the ticket in a.s.a.p as i realise it will help more than my vague ramblings)
Teufel
sounds like a privarte ticket

probably unlawful

plenty of info here - start with stickys, BP and legalpete threads
muckychimney
Get your ticket scanned and washed of personal details then post it on here along with any photos of the signage in the car park, the more info you give to all the other members on here the better, they are a damn good crowd after all we are all after one thing yes ? justice.
sibber
thanks guys, will get it scanned in tomorrow, or at least will take a picture of it if i can.
sibber
sibber
im not very technical but this is the best i can do without scanning....
Will get a pic of the actual sinage tomorrow, but any advice is EXTREMELY appreciated.
From reading these forums i feel i might of made an error sending them a letter asking for a schedule of payment structures, is this an admission of guilt/acceptence of breaking the contract?
sibber
Ok i got some pictures of the signage, seems legit to me but you guys may be able to pick some holes in them. Took quite a few more pictures so if you need anything else just let me know. Further photos can be found here
legaladviser
QUOTE (sibber @ Wed, 16 May 2007 - 11:19) *
Ok i got some pictures of the signage, seems legit to me but you guys may be able to pick some holes in them. Took quite a few more pictures so if you need anything else just let me know. Further photos can be found here

This is private parking and totally unenforcable. Do not have contact with them and ignore all threatening letters. They will eventually go away.
nellyb
Although I know this is unenforceable, how do they know you're not a customer of superbowl?
Teufel
the signs seem totally contradictory and thus not capable of forming an offer of a contract
Higs
I like the idea of the vehicle entering into a contract.
Is that restricted to 'Smart' cars - I know my Ford wouldn't be capable!
legaladviser
QUOTE (Teufel @ Wed, 16 May 2007 - 13:24) *
the signs seem totally contradictory and thus not capable of forming an offer of a contract

Just putting up a sign, however big it is or however clear the wording, will never be able to constitute acceptance, which is one of the 3 vital elements needed for a contract (the other 2 elements - offer and consideration - may well be absent as well). There is no possibility for any kind of implied acceptance from just reading the sign. The only way that a private parking ticket would be enforcable is for the motorist to sign a piece of paper agreeing to the charge.
sibber
Thanks for the views guys, mucho appreciated. Do you think the fact that i asked for a schedule of payment structures (as soon as i got the ticket and before i found this site) could be construed as an admission of guilt and/or acceptance of the contract? Im not quite sure what the next step is for me, write to them with the arguments above or just ignore there demands?

I really do appreciate all the help people, i will be spreading the word of this website!
Ziltro
I would be tempted to reply saying something like...

On re-reading the contractial agreement I have noticed that the contract, if one exists, is between yourself and my vehicle.
Therefore as I owe you nothing please could you let me know that this is the end of the matter.
I'm sure that contacting me was an honest mistake on your part, if you wish to take up the matter with my vehicle you are welcome to attempt to correspond with it.
DW190
QUOTE (Ziltro @ Thu, 17 May 2007 - 20:17) *
I would be tempted to reply saying something like...

On re-reading the contractial agreement I have noticed that the contract, if one exists, is between yourself and my vehicle.
Therefore as I owe you nothing please could you let me know that this is the end of the matter.
I'm sure that contacting me was an honest mistake on your part, if you wish to take up the matter with my vehicle you are welcome to attempt to correspond with it.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
spaceman
QUOTE (legaladviser @ Wed, 16 May 2007 - 13:48) *
QUOTE (Teufel @ Wed, 16 May 2007 - 13:24) *

Just putting up a sign, however big it is or however clear the wording, will never be able to constitute acceptance, which is one of the 3 vital elements needed for a contract (the other 2 elements - offer and consideration - may well be absent as well). There is no possibility for any kind of implied acceptance from just reading the sign. The only way that a private parking ticket would be enforcable is for the motorist to sign a piece of paper agreeing to the charge.

Minor detail, but signing a piece of paper is not required in order to enter into a valid contract.

If it were, the queues outside shops would stretch for miles! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.