Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: red light and uninsured
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
se7ensport
I'd let my dad borrow my car and he went through a red light, he thought he had insurance to drive 3rd party but as he had recently changed to commercial insurance for his van it's no longer part of the standard policy angry.gif

The car is insured in my name and able to provide proof easily, will they ask for proof of insurance for the other driver? If so, what kind of fine / additional points can be expected?

Cheers for any advice/info.
Tamara-D
Does your insurance allow him to drive third party?

Driving without insurance is 6-8 points. Permitting someone to drive your vehicle without insurance is I believe the same, but it is up to the courts to decide.
se7ensport
I'll have to dig out the policy, but don't hold out much hope as it's only 3rd party insurance, looks like the insurance could be a bigger problem than the initial points
Hampster
Was your Dad stopped and reported at the roadside by an Officer or caught by camera. If it was the first and he was asked to produce insurance at the station you both have a problem. If the later, it is unlikely they will ask for proof of insurance they will just proceed with the red light offence.
se7ensport
Caught by camera, I need to find my policy and read through it properly, theoretically it might be easier if I take the points.
Blackbird
.............. and theoretically I could be a scammer and have a good idea who you are ohmy.gif
Don't even think about the 'theoretical possibility', have a read of your paperwork and only act within the law!
mob
QUOTE (se7ensport @ Sun, 13 May 2007 - 16:41) *
Caught by camera, I need to find my policy and read through it properly, theoretically it might be easier if I take the points.

If plod finds out you have done that you will do jail time.

If it was a camera that snapped your Dad it is highly unlikely they will go diging around for anything else.
kingjohn
The scammers don't care about anything but the money. Fill in the NIP for your dad, and he'll have to cough up. Just be grateful he wasn't in an accident.

John
kingjohn
Just so it's clear, and to prevent any misunderstanding (tamara wink.gif ):

Get your father to admit to the red light offence and he will almost certainly get away with the fact that his paperwork wasn't in order. The scammers are only interested in processing cheques and sending out threatening letters.

John
se7ensport
QUOTE (kingjohn @ Mon, 14 May 2007 - 12:09) *
Just so it's clear, and to prevent any misunderstanding (tamara wink.gif ):

Get your father to admit to the red light offence and he will almost certainly get away with the fact that his paperwork wasn't in order. The scammers are only interested in processing cheques and sending out threatening letters.

John

Thanks for the advice, I'll be following it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.