Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speeding conviction received (Tower Bridge, London)
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
66stephen99
Hi - i'm new to this forum and whilst i know the Tower Bridge average speed camera (SPECS) has been mentioned before i'm wondering what are my chances of appealing against the conviction.

The details: SPECS photographed 43mph (average) over Tower Bridge, London which has a 20mph lmit. I've waited almost 2 years for the conviction (Due to taxi drivers union taking it to court over the legality of 20mph road signs - black rim round the outside was apparently the debating issue) and it is 6 points and £335 fine including £35 court fees. Both the fine and the points seem a tad harsh for drving at 43mph at half 11 at night in a non residential area.

Can anyone help or advise whether an appeal is worthwhile or should i just swallow it?

I have 3 points already on my licence, earnt in October 2004, so 9's gonna hurt a tad.

Thanks in advance

Stephen
andy_foster
QUOTE (66stephen99 @ Fri, 11 May 2007 - 13:16) *
Hi - i'm new to this forum and whilst i know the Tower Bridge average speed camera (SPECS) has been mentioned before i'm wondering what are my chances of appealing against the conviction.

The details: SPECS photographed 43mph (average) over Tower Bridge, London which has a 20mph lmit. I've waited almost 2 years for the conviction (Due to taxi drivers union taking it to court over the legality of 20mph road signs - black rim round the outside was apparently the debating issue) and it is 6 points and £335 fine including £35 court fees. Both the fine and the points seem a tad harsh for drving at 43mph at half 11 at night in a non residential area.

Can anyone help or advise whether an appeal is worthwhile or should i just swallow it?

As the High Court appeal failed, what are your grounds for appealing against the conviction?
Unless there is something you haven't told us, it would seem that your only argument is that the evidence that you were the driver was obtained under compulsion. You have 21 days to lodge an appeal. If the ECtHR rules in favour of O'Halloran before your appeal is heard, you should win.

As you were doing over double the speed limit, I wouldn't advise appealing against sentence.
mudmover
Andy beat me to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.