Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm afraid i'm going to be banned HELP!
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
VespaGirl
Hello,
I'm a nervous wreck right now so please be gentle.

Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - No
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

So, i'll get to the point. I've been riding a Vespa LX125 for a little over a year now, i'm a new road user, Provisional licence holder, and enjoying the liberating inexpensive experience of riding around on a moped in London. biggrin.gif

I recieved 2 NIP's in the mail last week. Dated offenses one week apart. By the same camera (Gatso) in NW10 at roughly the same time.
Two Sunday's in a row on a clear, dry road.
1. (30mph restricted road) of 36mph on 15th April at 12:38
2. (30mph restricted road) of 40mph on 22nd April at 12:01

I already have three points from last August doing 36mph at 11pm on an empty road.
I'm so annoyed angry.gif

I recieved them in the mail 12 days from the offense.
I found this website accidentally and i'm so thankful that i did, i've been reading everyone's posts intently to get some idea's.
It seems that i only really stand a chance if the NIP's arrived later than 14 days though. sad.gif
I'm thinking about asking for pictures for proof. When i do this do i send the note of request with the NIP's blank just so they have reference details
I'm really scared and i don't have the funds to pay for legal fee's
Is this worth fighting?
What are my options?

Thanx
davepoth
You say in the wizard you are not normally responsible for the vehicle? does anybody else ride it?
VespaGirl
No, not really, i have let a few people test ride it as i was going to sell it.
davepoth
QUOTE (VespaGirl @ Mon, 7 May 2007 - 21:20) *
No, not really, i have let a few people test ride it as i was going to sell it.

Were people test riding it on those dates do you reckon?
VespaGirl
Only, if it works out in my favor blush.gif , honestly, the same camera, the same time, a week apart.
I'm going to send a request for pictures tomorrow, do i send back both NIP's?
davepoth
QUOTE (VespaGirl @ Mon, 7 May 2007 - 21:35) *
Only, if it works out in my favor blush.gif , honestly, the same camera, the same time, a week apart.
I'm going to send a request for pictures tomorrow, do i send back both NIP's?

It would be best to hold off on sending the NIPs back just yet. Write two separate letters, one for each case, saying something like

Case No. xxxxxx

Dear Sir/Madam

Further to your recent correspondance regarding the above case, I was wondering if it would be possible to supply me with any photographs you might have in relation to the request for information, to aid me in the idenitification of the rider at the time.

Yours Faithfully

Even if there were other people riding the bike at the time, you'd still need to be able to prove it (insurance details etc), which is always a bit tricky.
VespaGirl
Ok, Will get that sent out first thing tommorrow. smile.gif thank you
Now, what if they take a long time getting back to me and it infringes upon my 28 days time limit to fill out the NIP form, will i get in big trouble? sad.gif
davepoth
QUOTE (VespaGirl @ Mon, 7 May 2007 - 21:44) *
Ok, Will get that sent out first thing tommorrow. smile.gif thank you
Now, what if they take a long time getting back to me and it infringes upon my 28 days time limit to fill out the NIP form, will i get in big trouble? sad.gif

Strictly speaking yes, they could kick up a fuss, but it's not especially likely they would. If it gets a bit close, it would probably be a good idea to ring and check with them to find out if there's a delay or something. Make sure you send everything by at least registered post to make sure it can be traced.
VespaGirl
Great, thanks for the advise. Will keep you updated. smile.gif
Mad Mick V
Google the Road Traffic (New Drivers) Act 1995 and see if it applies to you or whether there is a complementary act for bike riders rather than drivers.

I can't see that they will revoke a provisional licence but there is bound to be some catch-all clause.

Mick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.