Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Overtaking on the left
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
silversquirrel01
Could anyone clarify whether it is an offence to undertake / overtake on the left? I thought it was but I have been reading the Highway code and it strongly suggests that it is only recommended that, on standard roads and the motorway you should overtake on the right and not the left. The Highway code is clear about what are offences and undertaking doesn't seem to be one. I would be grateful if someone could advise me what the legal situation is. Thank you!
kingjohn
You should not "undertake". But you should also keep left on roads with more than 1 lane. If someone is travelling below the speed limit in lane 2 or 3 and you are travelling at the speed limit in lane 1, then you are not "undertaking", but driving correctly.

This doesn't apply if you are speeding to pass someone on the left or weaving in and out of traffic on the motorway for instance - both of which could land you with a prosecution for careless or even dangerous driving.

Hope that helps.

John
silversquirrel01
So as long as I don't exceed the speed limit or drive in a manner which could be construed as careless driving, then it is legal to undertake (regardless of whether this is recommended or not)?
Bing o
I would advise against it, as you are throwing yourself on the mercy of whichever cop pulls you over.

However, with the array of speed fixated numpty's who are incapable of maintaining pace AND observing correct lane discipline, often one has little or no choice.

I would try, where possible, to attract their attention and get them to move over.

I recognise that this doesn't always work, but loud little sportscars are better at this than a hatchback smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.