Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aquisition Time with Lastec
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
quattrodriver
Hi,

A friend and I have just received NIPs through the post. We were unaware at the time but supposedly were clocked at 101mph by Lastec whilst travelling in formation one eve last week. We definitely were not crusing at this speed at anytime along the stretch of road cited.....90mph for at leat the mile approaching the junction where we figure the trap was set and a different speed altogether the rest of the time (talking about an empty motorway, good visibility).

The evidence for the alleged offence is 'photographic' which I presume is video, or critical frame grabs..

I'm just wondering if its possible to distinguish the speed of vehicles in formation, how they are targetted and whether its possible to actualy take two readings accurately so quickly. What could/should I look for in the evidence assuming I can get it released to me.

Is there any obvious advantage to be had from this situation over a single driver fighting a ticket?

Thanks
HissingSid
Hi,

Lastec is a video system approved for use the the LTi 20.20 laser. So you need to look for information on the accuracy of the LTi 20.20.

There's some interesting information here http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/further.htm

This is what one of our Police Forces thinks about their accuracy http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/dcsc/e...tech/mobile.htm

Sid
quattrodriver
QUOTE (HissingSid)
Hi,

Lastec is a video system approved for use the the LTi 20.20 laser. So you need to look for information on the accuracy of the LTi 20.20.

Sid

Thanks.

I'm guessing that the threshold speed was set to 100/101mph and he just got photos identifying the cars or possibly tagged the lead. I'm quite suprised he managed to get a clear shot of both reg plates.

Does anyone know Cheshire's practice/policy with regard to releasing evidence, calibration certs, officers notes etc

QD
firefly
Hi qd,

QUOTE (quattrodriver)
Does anyone know Cheshire's practice/policy with regard to releasing evidence, calibration certs, officers notes etc

I would imagine it is the same as the rest of the forces in England. That is, you are legally entitled to hee-haw until you plead not guilty to the charge.

Once you have done this (plead not guilty), the CPS are legally required to furnish you with evidence you think pertinent to your case.
The Rookie
From Cornwalls website, "The 'red dot' sighting scope of the LTI 20.20 remains the targeting medium and the evidential picture carries a superimposed crosshair clearly identifying the offending vehicle.", so the 'evidence' isn't anything of the sort, the damn thing could be clocking a car driving the other way!

Simon.
nigeldunne64
Simon I just looked at the photo in the link - the damn crosshairs are in the middle of the two cars and not hitting either car. So that square of road is doing 93.7mph is it!!!!!!
Anyone wondering about the accuracy of the dodgyscope and wondering why they need disclosure should look at the link. You would have though they would have had the brains to show one where the crosshairs are bang on the number plate - DOH rolleyes.gif
dave99
doesnt it show 25mph at a distance of 97.3m? Does the speed update all the time - I note it is on timeout, maybe those details are locked once it goes to timeout (a photo with timeout on cannot be used as evidence can it?)
The Rookie
Yes, the display stays locked after the timeout.....
quattrodriver
QUOTE (The Rookie)
Yes, the display stays locked after the timeout.....

Thanks to all.

qd
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.