Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: flashed over-taking
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
the_only_dave
Hi everyone,

Today I was driving along, and became stuck behind someone going stupidly slow, think about 10-15mph in a 30, the road was clear ahead, and it was relatively straight so i knocked it down a gear and passed her, i gave her plenty of room but as i was coming back in, I got flashed by a GATSO (yellow) camera on the opposite side of the road.. I believe there were only road markings on the opporsite side too. I didnt think i was speeding but i guess if it flashed me....

I know this is a bit premature, I haven't recieved a NiP, and they may have been no film etc..but if i do get one, my question is..where do i stand?? Can a gastso on the opposite side of the road flash me, will the road markings not apply then, does the fact i was overtaking relevent at all...

Thanks for reading!

Dave
g_attrill
You will know within 14 days, if you get a NIP then make a reply using this post as a guide.

A question first, did it flash in your face, or from behind? If it was a Gatso then they only operate in receding mode, ie. it takes a photo of the rear of your vehicle. If it was a Truvelo or Redflex then they can operate in approaching mode.
the_only_dave
It was a normal single lane, two way road, and the Gatso (i assume) was facing me, so it took a photo of the front of my car... Obviously they are meant to get drivers going the other way, but it still flashed me driving towards it...
the_only_dave
i mean i say it was a gatso but who knows... it looked like http://www.suffolksafecam.co.uk/images/fixed_250x178.jpg

it came out of no where unsure.gif
Monster 900
It's a Gatso.
the_only_dave
so does that mean i could be recieving a NiP...or can no readings be taken when approaching from an opposite direction.
the_only_dave
on the other side of the road..
borsicorn
QUOTE (g_attrill @ Mon, 9 Apr 2007 - 16:52) *
You will know within 14 days, if you get a NIP then make a reply using this post as a guide.

A question first, did it flash in your face, or from behind? If it was a Gatso then they only operate in receding mode, ie. it takes a photo of the rear of your vehicle. If it was a Truvelo or Redflex then they can operate in approaching mode.

If only this were still true.

Alas, it's not. Bradford, part of the West Yorkshire Scameraship has just proved this untrue. Gatso's work by radar, approaching or receeding. They have successfully prosecuted 4 people who overtook within Gatso lines. Snapped by the camera and distances between consecutive flashes measured.

Done. Then reported in the Yorks Evening Post.
the_only_dave
QUOTE (borsicorn @ Mon, 9 Apr 2007 - 18:42) *
QUOTE (g_attrill @ Mon, 9 Apr 2007 - 16:52) *

Alas, it's not. Bradford, part of the West Yorkshire Scameraship has just proved this untrue. Gatso's work by radar, approaching or receeding. They have successfully prosecuted 4 people who overtook within Gatso lines. Snapped by the camera and distances between consecutive flashes measured.

Done. Then reported in the Yorks Evening Post.

Oh dear
Hotel Oscar 87

Interesting, seeing as the Gatso is only type approved for receding traffic and rear photography only!! (ACPO RPET Manual, page 94)
Lynnzer
QUOTE (Hotel Oscar 87 @ Tue, 10 Apr 2007 - 02:42) *

Interesting, seeing as the Gatso is only type approved for receding traffic and rear photography only!! (ACPO RPET Manual, page 94)

There HAS TO BE two measurements made. The primary evidence is the camera itself, tow flashes at a known time apart, and the secondary evidence, ie the distance travelled shown by means of the white lines.
If any court has been successful in making a case stick based putrely on the photographic evidence of the camera without the secondary distance check, then it's abusing the system. An appeall should always be mounted in such cases.
To answer the original question; If you're snapped by a forward facing STATIC Gatso then it really doesn't matter what speed you were doing as it is not being used in accordance with its Conditions of Type Approval.
The Rookie
As usual Lynnzer the scammers/CPS will say what they need in court to convict, an unprepared defendant who cannot counter their more ludicrous claims with factual evidence (such as the terms and condistions attached to the type approval) will be found guilty.

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.