Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Their reply to my pace - what next PLEASE
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
riverboat
Hi

My question is, what do i do next.....i have seen on the forum from a number of posts that when NIPS response is recieved then ignored while waiting for court date nothing more has happened...(should i do this)
BUT, on the other hand,
Do i write to them asking for the photographic evidence.

As brief as possible

I WAS FLASHED BY A FORWARD FACING TRUVELO THAT HAD A VERY BRIGHT FLASH - THAT CAUSED ME TO BRAKE HARSHLY
NOT THE MAGENTA FLASH THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE INVISIIBLE.
Does this mean that the camera was mal-functioning (possible defence)
I have contacted the Truvelo company asking whether this should flash and blind drivers (awaiting thier response)

Nips for 39mph in a 30mph (was delivered within the 14 days)
on 26/02/07 at 23:53
contrary to S81(1)RTRA 84 sch RTOA 88

"this allegation is suported by photographic and/or video evidence"

I submitted the pace statement from the template on this site

Herts Police response

"You have furnished us with a statement advising who the driver was at the time of the alleged offence. Please find enclosed a Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty which is offered as an alternative to prosecution"
Should you choose not to accept the Conditional Offer as an alternative to prosecution within the 28 day time scale stated this file will be prepared for Court Action"
davepoth
can you fill out the NIP wizard to give us all the information?
riverboat
These are the answers you've given so far:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England
riverboat
Have filled out the nip wizard, and, results posted here....It's recommended action was to send pace statement, but i have already done that. Not sure what my next course of action should be!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
riverboat
Any ideas as to whether i have a chance with the FLASH in FACE defence......

I have been back to site to see the camera and it does seem to have a magenta filter.
So why did the flash blind me?

HELP wink.gif
Hotel Oscar 87
RB

IMHO the argument that you were blinded by the flash will meet simply with the reply that had you not been speeding the camera would not have been activated in the first place. You cannot argue that the flash so distracted you that you sped as a result. This is a dead duck I'm afraid. I can't tell you why you were blinded. The magenta filter is not designed to make the flash invisible merely less bright and there are a host of potential causes that could explain the way it affected you at the time.

Going back the davepoth's post he invited you to complete the NIP Wizard and post the output. In order to help you a little more it would be useful if you posted the entire details not just the final section. Seemingly insignificant details can be of great value.
The Rookie
Do the NIP wizard again, this time on page 2 fill in the boxes before ticking yes/no just like it tells you to do, then we have all the info we need!

The photo will show if the magenta filter is fitted or not, its worth asking for a photo 'to help confirm the ID of the driver' or similar, however its not true that it doesn't blind you dangerously!

Simon
riverboat
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? - Hertfordshire
Date of the offence: - 26/2/07
Date of the NIP: - 8/3/07
Date you received the NIP: - 12/3/07
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - at Eastbury Road, Watford, Northeast of, Kingsfield Road travel
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - Not known
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - Was driving uphill, road flattens out, there are two different speed camera warning signs. got flashed in the face and blinded by a Truvelo camera...Not sure of speed, but didn't think it was 39mph

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • Complete the PACE witness statement.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v2.2.0: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:43:58 +0100

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Were you driving? - Yes

IS this right?
riverboat
Okay
so summons states

"On 26/02/2007 at 23.53HRS the defendant drove the vehicle index blahblah on Eastbury Road at a speed exceeding the legal limit of 30 miles per hour the speed recorded by Gatsospd was 39 miles per hour.

Included with the summons was a signed statement from the Hertfordshire Constabulary stating (amongst other things) that i was snapped by a "Truvelo Combi S-mc speed Detection Camera System"

Does the fact that they have got the wrong camera help

If so do i include this in my reply to the Court now (and give them a chance to change it)
or
leave it until we actually get into Court (then get done for failing to disclose)
[b]

I have completed pace statement

Were you driving? - Yes

Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • Complete the PACE witness statement.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v2.2.0: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:43:58 +0100

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Were you driving? - Yes

[/b]
The Rookie
Can you do the Wizard again, this time use the additional info button on page2 please, we need all the info.

The mistake will be corrected under the 'slip' rule to allow typos' to be corrected.

Why have you got a summons? What is the history of the case?

Simon
riverboat
What is the name of the Constabulary? - Hertfordshire
Date of the offence: - February 2007
Date of the NIP: - 10 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 14 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - Eastbury Road, Watford, Northeast of, Kingsfield Road travel
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - Was travelling up the road in my car with my husband (didn't know name of road at the time.) was flashed in the face and temporarily blinded for quite a while after. Thought therefore that camera had malfunctioned as i didn't think anything so dangerous could possibly be allowed.

NIP Wizard Responses
Were you driving? - Yes

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v2.2.3: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:51:59 +0100

Were you driving? - Yes

Wizard version 2.2.3
riverboat
I'm very new to this and have had a licence for over 20 years. Full PSV / Motorbike / Car
Never had any points or convictions. Basically never been in trouble.

so please be gentle with me rolleyes.gif
sorry if it's laid out all wrong

offence 26/02/07
nips recieved 08/03/07
pace sent 11/03/07
summons recieved 24/02/07

I have just recieved my first summons to which i'm going to fill out part 1 and plead not guilty.

I also recieved "notice to defendant: Proof by written statement"
And
"Excess Speed Section 20, Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988"
And
"Witness statment" Signed by ~~~~~ but the "signature witnessed by" part hasn't been signed
letters (i can scan them in if needed - but don't know how to host/post them)

i had hoped my defence would be "that the camera flashed and blinded me (suported by my husband) therefore it must have been faulty"
i have also found a number of "official websites" that state quite clearly that the Truvelo has a magenta flash that is unseen by the naked eye, and have printed these off.

I also thought that the fact that the summons had the wrong type of camera on it would've helped!

Also the location of the offence on the nip is Eastbury Road, Watford, Northeast of, Kingsfield Road travel
the location on the witness statement says Eastbury Road, Watford, Northeast of, Kingsfield Road travelling southwest
Any help?

I'm going to ask for the photo that was taken, and the calibration certificate
do i need to ask for anything else and can anyone point me to any templates for these as i don't want to get it wrong and make it easy for them?

The summons also says i can request their witness to give oral evidence, does this mean that if i don't i can't argue against their witness statement?

Do you think i have a chance or am i gonna get done for wasting the Courts time?
I honestly believe that i wasn't doing 39mph and that the Truvelo flash is bloody dangerous.

Just as an aside how come a friend of mine got offered the speeding course and no points?
BaggieBoy
QUOTE (riverboat @ Wed, 25 Jul 2007 - 15:52) *
i had hoped my defence would be "that the camera flashed and blinded me (suported by my husband) therefore it must have been faulty"
i have also found a number of "official websites" that state quite clearly that the Truvelo has a magenta flash that is unseen by the naked eye, and have printed these off.

The magenta flash of Truvelos is very much visible, I don't think there is any defence there.
dan8139
I'm very new to this and have had a licence for over 20 years. Full PSV / Motorbike / Car

offence 26/02/07
nips recieved 08/03/07
pace sent 11/03/07

I have just recieved my first summons to which i'm going to fill out part 1 and plead not guilty.

And
And
"Witness statment" Signed by ~~~~~ but the "signature witnessed by" part hasn't been signed

I also thought that the fact that the summons had the wrong type of camera on it would've helped!

Also the location of the offence on the nip is Eastbury Road, Watford, Northeast of, Kingsfield Road travel
the location on the witness statement says Eastbury Road, Watford, Northeast of, Kingsfield Road travelling southwest
Any help?

do i need to ask for anything else and can anyone point me to any templates for these as i don't want to get it wrong and make it easy for them?

The summons also says i can request their witness to give oral evidence, does this mean that if i don't i can't argue against their witness statement?

Do you think i have a chance or am i gonna get done for wasting the Courts time?
I honestly believe that i wasn't doing 39mph and that the Truvelo flash is bloody dangerous.

Just as an aside how come a friend of mine got offered the speeding course and no points?

QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Wed, 25 Jul 2007 - 17:17) *

The magenta flash of Truvelos is very much visible, I don't think there is any defence there.
dan8139
QUOTE (dan8139 @ Thu, 26 Jul 2007 - 01:18) *

offence 26/02/07
nips recieved 08/03/07
pace sent 11/03/07

And
And

Any help?

QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Wed, 25 Jul 2007 - 17:17) *

I didn't mean to quote previous posters, however this is stupid that someone who has commited the terrible crime of 'speeding' can be treated in a greater way than yobs who 'vandalise things with their lovely grafiti which apparently makes them feel 'big', in other parts of the country yobs are up-turning water-bowsers and letting the water out because they're so dense and should be shot through the head! I could go on for ages in this upside down world but i can't be arsed I'd rather leave!
riverboat
Rookie
The reason for the summons is because i sent in the PACE statement, and refused the offer of a Fixed penalty. They then sent me the summons
It wasn't because of the fine it was because of the points. I know 3 points might not be major to some people but it is to me.

so should i just apply for the photos and see if they actually have me?
And if i feel i'm gonna get a guilty in court, will they increase the points or will i still only get 3?
Getting nervous now as my two defences seem to be a bit weak now
riverboat
Well it seems okay for them to slip!
Can i use this as my defence, i slipped up and went over the speed limit? laugh.gif

No i didn't think so!
riverboat
It seems that my possible defence won't work so can any tell me what will happen if i plead guilty to the speeding charge.
Clean licence forover twenty years. will they just give me the 3 points or will they increase it because i changed my mind?
Sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong place, just getting worried, bit of a scardey cat.

PS Many thanks for such a great website, thenks for all the advise recieved so far.
nemo
QUOTE (riverboat @ Thu, 26 Jul 2007 - 17:30) *
It seems that my possible defence won't work so can any tell me what will happen if i plead guilty to the speeding charge.

What speeding charge ?

Or have you committed the cardinal sin of starting a new thread for an existing case ? wink.gif
riverboat
newbie.gif
QUOTE (nemo @ Thu, 26 Jul 2007 - 17:37) *
It seems that my possible defence won't work so can anyone tell me what will happen if i plead guilty to the speeding charge.

What speeding charge ?

Or have you committed the cardinal sin of starting a new thread for an existing case ? wink.gif

Hi yes sorry it seems i have.
My "excuse" being that as each question has been answered then another one has cropped up, which seemed (to my tiny mind) to be on a different topic newbie.gif
nemo
Clean licence forover twenty years. will they just give me the 3 points or will they increase it because i changed my mind?

The current Magistrates' Sentencing guidelines suggest no more than 3 points should be awarded upon conviction for 39 in a 30.

Out of interest, have you received a copy of the photograph yet ?

IIRC, it is a condition of type approval for front facing 'Truvelo' cameras that they are fitted with a coloured filter over the flash unit. If you could prove that the camera in question did not have a filter fitted and, as such, was operating outside of its type approval conditions, then any evidence produced by that camera would be inadmissible in court. The problem, however, almost certainly lies with proving a breach of type approval conditions, if indeed there was a breach.

QUOTE (Section 20 RTOA 1988)
(4) A record produced or measurement made by a prescribed device shall not be admissible as evidence of a fact relevant to proceedings for an offence to which this section applies unless—

(a ) the device is of a type approved by the Secretary of State, and

(b ) any conditions subject to which the approval was given are satisfied.
riverboat
Cheers for the info Nemo

I watched a Crimewatch program last night and it seems that serial rapists and murderers get to say “no comment “throughout and therefore have more rights than me! It really made my blood boil. Might go and see my MP about this one!

I only got the summons yesterday, and have spent today researching on the forums for the best course of action for me.

Now I know that the court won’t impose more than 3 points for me changing my plea nearer to the trial date, I AM going to ask to see the photos. If the magenta filter was applied then there should be a pinkish tinge to the photo.

Do i also ask the Clerk to the Justices for the calibration certificate, or does that request just go to the Chief Constable?

I am also going to include this defence statement (also found in this excellent forum)

" I believe I was not exceeding the speed limit and believe the equipment used or method of operation was defective"

Do you think I’ve covered all my bases? As I’m going to print this and send it recorded to all parties tomorrow.

Clerk to Justices

Dear Sir,

Case number xxxx

I enclose notice of ‘not guilty' plea in relation to the above case. I note that the preliminary hearing scheduled for []March will be adjourned and that my attendance at court on that day is not required.

I refer to the Attorney General's disclosure guidelines dated
29 November 2000
and in particular paragraph 43, as follows:

SUMMARY TRIAL
43. The prosecutor should, in addition to complying with the obligations under the CPIA, provide to the defence all evidence upon which the Crown proposes to rely in a summary trial. Such provision should allow the accused or their legal advisers sufficient time properly to consider the evidence before it is called. Exceptionally, statements may be withheld for the protection of witnesses or to avoid interference with the course of justice.

and from the first paragraph of the Commentary on the Guidelines:

"The guidelines are applicable to all investigations and prosecutions undertaken by the Crown, and therefore relate to prosecutions by government departments as well as prosecutions by the Crown Prosecution Service. The guidelines are binding on all public prosecutors...".

I give notice that I have not received copies of prosecution exhibit xxx, mentioned in the witness statement dated [] of PC[] [] nor prosecution exhibits [] mentioned in the witness statement dated [] of the aforesaid [] (both statements enclosed with the summons).

Therefore, I require full disclosure of the said exhibits in accordance with the disclosure guidelines referenced above

I have not been provided with the address of the applicable office of the Crown Prosecution Service dealing with this matter so I am unable to make this request directly to the CPS. However, I have sent a copy of this letter to the xxxxPolice Camera Enforcement Unit which dealt with the alleged offence.
fboy2
QUOTE (Section 20 RTOA 1988)
(4) A record produced or measurement made by a prescribed device shall not be admissible as evidence of a fact relevant to proceedings for an offence to which this section applies unless—

(a ) the device is of a type approved by the Secretary of State, and

(b ) any conditions subject to which the approval was given are satisfied.

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?...ideCommentary=0
riverboat
Well i've sent off a the reply to the summons stating that i believe the equipment was faulty and also requested from the Clerk to the justices and the relevent chief Constable, all the associated paperwork, eg calibration certificate, photos etc....will post thier replies on here as soon as i get them.
I am also going to pursue as much evidence about the Truvelo having an invisivble flash.....

One last point though, can anyone tell me whether there is any point in calling their witness to appear in court?
nemo
QUOTE (riverboat @ Fri, 27 Jul 2007 - 18:23) *
I am also going to pursue as much evidence about the Truvelo having an invisivble flash.....

Never been 'flashed' by a front facing Truvelo myself, but as I understand it (and as already posted by others), the flash with the magenta filter in place is very much visible to the naked eye..
riverboat
I know have the pictures that i requested, however nothing else has been forthcoming.

I have committed the Cardinal sin of ignoring this in the hope that it would go away. blush.gif

I am on holiday next week, and i return on Monday 8th October, and my court date is for the 11th October!!!!

Now if they don't send me any additional paperwork i requested in that time, is that enough for an aquital?
If they do send me the paperwork, i won't see it as i'm away, can i change my mind and plead guilty if i see it upon my return, i know this only gives them THREE days notice......

One last point, the camera that flashed me is sited on a hill, is that correct? (near top of hill where road flattens out)

ANY HELP GRATEFULLY RECIEVED biggrin.gif

riverboat
Can no-one give me any info? am i "bang to rights"
Do the pictures prove thier case?
riverboat
Please can anybody look at the photo to see if it is correct.
nemo
QUOTE (riverboat @ Mon, 1 Oct 2007 - 21:49) *
Please can anybody look at the photo to see if it is correct.

Nothing from the photographs stands out as being amiss.

The primary evidence from a Truvelo camera comes from two pairs of sensors embedded into the road surface which allow the speed of a passing vehicle to be calculated.

If the speed of a vehicle is in excess of the 'trigger' threshold, the unit calculates / predicts the time required until the vehicle's front wheels would be astride the 3 closely spaced lines painted onto the road surface and a photograph is taken at precisely this time interval. Corroboration of the primary evidence (required by law to 'prove' the offence) is obtained from this photograph.
Chas820
The primary evidence from a Truvelo camera comes from two pairs of sensors embedded into the road surface

I`m sure i read something once that these strips had to be replaced at specified intervals.Please don`t take this as gospel,you might find it in the type approval docs or maybe somebody knows more.
riverboat
Thanks very much for looking guys....I have asked for all the relevant paperwork to be sent to me. But so far nothing has arrived!
THanks again, for your help
The Rookie
I'm suspicious of the photo's, the Magenta filter gives a purplish/pink tinge to teh photo's, this looks very blue, almost like its been photoshopped to try and add a tinge (well more than a tinge) of blue - either that or a home made blue filter has been used, its worth searching on here for examples of truvelo photo's with the right hue to them as a comparison!

Simon
riverboat
I haven't altered the images, i have held the original up to the computer screen, and the images on the website are only slighty darker, but they are a very close match.

Or did you think the other side had altered them?

I am also at the mercy of the Postal Strike as i haven't recieved any of the paperwork i requested from the CPS/ Chief Constable, such as the calibration certificate, and information related to the site,etc

I am due in court on the 11th of October, is the fact that i have not recieved any of this info going to "get me offf" as i have not had any chance read the paperwork and prepare my defence.

cheers

PS Below is a page i managed to leave out of the scans i posted last time

riverboat
I have searched using google ask wiki flickr etc for any photos posted anywhere of a night time truvelo picture taken of a car, to get an idea of what the colour should be but no joy, can anybody send any link....Thanks
riverboat
As far as i can tell by reading untold websites, the truvelo measures your speed by taking a reading from the strips in the road.
My question is the photos i have been sent only show my car on the first strip (the second strip can clearly be seen!), surely at this moment i haven't committed an offence!

Can you guys shed any light on this?
The photo is posted earlier in this thread

"The Truvelo Combi S speed camera is approved for use with either 3 or 4 piezo sensors. If four sensors are used, it makes one measurement from the first sensor to the third sensor and the other from the second sensor to the fourth sensor. If three sensors are used it makes one measurement from the first sensor to the middle sensor and the second measurement from the second sensor to the third sensor"
firestarter
Hi riverboat,

I'm afraid you've misunderstood Nemo. He was referring to the wires that are buried in lines across the road. There are three or four of these and the machine can pick up the presence of a vehicle from the difference it makes to the current flowing in the wires. It calculates the speed of the vehicle from the times between these disturbances, then, knowing the exact distance to the three white lines you see in the picture, it delays the photo until the time when you'll be directly over the lines. The fact that your wheel is on the lines shows that it had correctly calculated your speed.

The fact that there are two pieces of information from the camera that agree, means that they are corroborated by one another, making them admissible as evidence.
The Rookie
You'll have to search and trawl on here for photo's but there have been a few such as http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...20&start=20

Sorry I wasn't accusing you of editing it, but certain others who have been known to 'bend' the law....

On what basis did you ask for details from the CPS (and it should only be from the CPS - although everything should be copied to the court - and did you submit a defence statement to justify the requests? If not you won't get the stuff you asked for.

What 'information related to the site' have you asked for?

Simon
riverboat

Hope this image shows up okay

Basically i asked for the calibration and maintenance certs

And info rleating to the siting, (as i thought i read somewhere about speed cameras not being allowed on hills)
and whether it meets guidlines with regard to amount of accidents, lenght of site etc

With regard to a defence statement i stated "i believe i was not exceeding the speed limit and believe the equipment used or method of operation was defective"

Thanks v much
The Rookie
Accident statistics are irelevant to the substantive charge of speeding..

You can't request cal certs and maintenance record going back without constructing an argument as to why, you may get the latest (or relevant cal cert).

As for sight criteria, they will say it complies even if it doesn't, you will have to show otherwise.

Search on here for example compliant defence statements and I suggest you submit a new one to get what you want AND are likley to get, 'fishing' trips are not allowed and you will have to show reasoning for each request, you HAVE to send this request to the CPS (copy the court for referenace) if you can't find the address, contact the court, they will know who laid info for the summons after all!

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.