Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 Month rule
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
jhefin
Hi Im a newbie. On january the 6th i received a NIP for dangerous and careless driving. In march a police officer rang to ask me to come to the station, but because of snow I could not make it. After infroming the police officer in the morning he said he understood and said that it would be best if i rang him at 10pm in the night later that week, when i rang i was told he was not on duty, having been told when he was on duty next i rang and was again told that he was not on duty, as a result i left a message with the station informing that i had rang twice but could not get an answer. After this i have received no communication from him since, as a result I am wondering whether the six month rule applies in this case, i have been told that it does apply, but i would like some clarification.
jhefin
So does anybody know whether if i will get away with it, if there is no court date set within 6 months
jimmy ferrari
jhefin, i think the same rules apply, in that the papers have to be laid with the court within 6 months. Normally they will do that just before, after hassling you for as long as possible. Were you stopped and read your rights? Why have you received this NIP? A little more info on the specifics of your case may help to get a response.
jhefin
Right on to the problem , I was driving along a dual carriageway, at about 1:45 in the afternoon (5th january). As I knew that eventually I would need to get into the left hand lane, I decided to indicate left, having done this the car in front of me in the left decided to brake quickly therefore with cars behind me I decided to pull back out to the right hand lane, by now I had pulled back out in front of the car that was in front of me when I was in the Right hand lane,

Now in the right hand lane the car that i had to pull out in front of decided to flash his lights constantly so my friend in the back attempted to wave a thank you and an apology, but the car continued to flash therefore i pulled away from the car at about 80mph. Having left the car behind i eventually pulled back into the left hand lane and indicated left at the countdown marker to turn off the dual carriageway. By this time the car pulled up side by side with me as i looked right i noticed that the passenger in the car was holding up (which i later found out to be a warrant card), and also was laughing at me, having attempted to again wave an apology at the driver i left the cariageway. Now This happened on the 5th of January, a couple of days later I had a letter off SOuth Wales Police asking me to declare who was driving as i had been charged with, Driving without due care, and Dangerous driving.

In March I received a phone call from the police officer involved asking me to appear at the police station for questioning. During the course of the phone call he alleged that I had undertook him and travelled at up to 95mph and had weaved in and out of traffics, these allegations were put to me without me being cautioned. Now the thing is I did not travell at 95mph and did not weave in and out of traffic, as i also had 3 other witness in the car, who agree that this did not happen. Now he claimed on the phone that he could not keep up with me, but surely with him driving a Mondeo or a Focus he could keep up with a 1.5 Honda civic with 4 ppl in the car.

By the way he was off duty, and continually flashed his lights at me for a couple of hundred metres, as a result i pulled away fro him at 80 mph.

As a result of snow i could not make it to the police station and he said this was fine, we arranged for me to speak to him when he was next on duty at 10pm later in the week but he was off duty, for some strange reason. Having been told when he was on duty next i rang again but he was away I then left a msg with the officer answering the phone asking to be called back but i have not received any communication from him since.
Captain A
'I was driving along a dual carriageway, at about 1:45 in the afternoon (5th january)......'
'On january the 6th i received a NIP for dangerous and careless driving'

You have to admire the speed with which the system works, including Royal Mail. For you to receive an NIP on the 6th January it must have been posted on the 5th, and so the 'alleged offence' must have been reported (after 1345 on the 5th), processed, typed up, put in an envelope, stamped (or franked) and posted by the last post - 1700hrs for you to receive it on the 6th.
jhefin
Sorry to confuse you my mistake I received it on the 8th, I wouldnt put it past them to do it so quickly though lol
S500L
I was driving along a dual carriageway, at about 1:45 in the afternoon (5th january). As I knew that eventually I would need to get into the left hand lane, I decided to indicate left, having done this the car in front of me in the left decided to brake quickly
I was cruisin' along a dual carriagewayand realised I wanted to come off at the next junction. Not leaving enough space to do this safely I cut in to the line of traffic on the left. As the car in front of me, only being about 6 inches from my front bumper, braked and not leaving enough room to brake myself I swerved back to the right.

Now in the right hand lane the car that i had to pull out in front of decided to flash his lights

No bloody wonder as I'd nearly swiped the front corner of his car

so my friend in the back attempted to wave a thank you and an apology
So my friend gave him the Vs and the w*nkers.

surely with him driving a Mondeo or a Focus he could keep up with a 1.5 Honda civic with 4 ppl in the car

Especially a Honda Civic with distorted bass pumpin' out taking power from the spark plugs 'cos the alternator can't keep up, the weight of the fake gold, burbery caps and rockport boots and 3 of my mates admiring my drivin'.

Why is it every Honda Civic driven by a Pakistani or Bangladeshi has two dinted wings and either the front or back bumper hanging off.

Now he claimed on the phone that he could not keep up with me
as a result i pulled away fro him at 80 mph.

Probably because he already had your number and didn't feel the need to drive like a tit.
jhefin
Right then some points been as your a racist idiot.

I feel that I did not nearlyt ake his fro bumper off, nor did any of the other people in the car.

ive been the victim of road rage so I would not have gave him any signs or called him a wanker, and neither would my friend.

On to my next point, I dont wear Burberry as its 2 common, and too many fakes around. The same for the rockport.

I dont have a sub, nor do i like them, as i feel their over the top and 2 many boy racers have them.

Secondly im not Asian, and any whats wrong if they choose to dirve a civic good quality cars. Sorry i forgot what did u say u drive again.?

So in your racist opinionated head would u constitute flahsing repeatedley your lights safe driving. Well I wouldnt I frankly feel that this is road rage and could ause accidents. Im the first to admit I was in the wrong but I think u should keep your views to yourself unless you have something good to say but i doubt u have, so keep out, I came here for honest opinion not bull"$&*.
DW190
Dictionary

Attitude

Leading

II

Keyboard

Rage
mb1rgw
QUOTE (jhefin)
Right on to the problem , I was driving along a dual carriageway, at about 1:45 in the afternoon (5th january). As I knew that eventually I would need to get into the left hand lane, I decided to indicate left, having done this the car in front of me in the left decided to brake quickly therefore with cars behind me I decided to pull back out to the right hand lane, by now I had pulled back out in front of the car that was in front of me when I was in the Right hand lane.

While I understand your annoyance at the manner of the comments above (including what does indeed appear to be racism), the extract above does raise some questions. In particular, how did you come to pull out ahead of a car in the outside lane which you had been behind? I find it difficult to think of a way this could have happened without you having been guilty of poor driving, at the very least. It sounds like you had not looked ahead far enough to make sure you could pull into the inside lane safely. The less charitable interpretation is that you came up the outside line much faster than the car ahead, pulled into the inside lane and then found that that wasn't safe and so had to pull out again. It does sound loike DWDCAA to me.

That's not to excuse the headlight flashing etc.

But you weren't wanting comments on your driving. As far as the primary offence is concerned, you'll be off the hook if they haven't laid papers by 5 July. Did you complete the s172? You could still be open to an s172 charge until 8 August. However, it sounds more like your case file dropped down the back of someone's desk - as anyone who's had hosptial appointments knows, missing an appointment (even if you tell them and ask to rearrange) is the best possible way of being lost "in the system". Or they may have decided there was no evidence - one policeman's opinion would not be enough.

robin
jhefin
thanks for your help, Im the first to admit it was Driving Without Due Care and Attention, but not something that would warrant Dangerous Driving.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.