Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st NIP-STAFFORDSHIRE POLICE
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
chris74
I was caught going 59 in a 30mph zone on 21st march. I have just received my NIP from Staffordshire police which just details my offence but has nothing attached to it for me to send back. is this correct
thanks
Bluedart
QUOTE (chris74 @ Wed, 21 Mar 2007 - 17:44) *
I was caught going 59 in a 30mph zone on 21st march. I have just received my NIP from Staffordshire police which just details my offence but has nothing attached to it for me to send back. is this correct
thanks

At that speed you are most likely to receive a summons and not a conditional offer.
Double the limit is bording on a ban, just under and they could relieve you of some of your cash. Notice I said could, it depends on how you handle it.
chris74
so am i correct in assuming i will have to attend court?
Bluedart
QUOTE (chris74 @ Wed, 21 Mar 2007 - 17:59) *
so am i correct in assuming i will have to attend court?

Well seeing that it is only the 21st March today, who did you receive the nip from, or shall I get someone to rub the crystal ball?
harrier
Hi Chris 74,
What Bluedart is saying is if you post all the relevant details i.e when, where, who by etc we can all have a butchers at the info and maybe give some considered opinions on your next course of action.
However still take the trouble to look in Frequently Asked Questions, you'll be amazed the amount of info available, mindboggling!!
regards Harrier
chris74
hi
I have now received a summons for doing 59mph in a 30mph zone from north staffs police and my court date has been set as the 9th july. can anyone advise on my best course of action as i do have the option not to attend court

thanks
nip me baby one more time
Chris - complete the NIP Wizard, it gets all the relevant info out for folks to work with.

Plus you say you have received a Summons for speeding, did you ever tell them you were the driver?
chris74
These are the answers you've given so far:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

i was stopped by the police at the roadside after i committed the offence so i had to tell them i was the driver.
nemo
I'm confused as to why, when you were asked by Harrier on 21.03.2007 if you could provide some more details, you chose to post nothing until yesterday when you advised you had received a summons..huh.gif

Anyway, the summons - A plea will need to entered shortly. The Magistrates will consider a reduction in sentence for an early guilty plea. If you do not believe that you are guilty of the offence, or if you choose to defend the allegation (be wary, its unlikely to be easy), then you should enter a plea of not guilty. Note that the trial scheduled for 09.07.2007 will be adjourned until a later date if you plead NG.

Upon conviction for nearly double the posted limit, there exists the possibility of a short period of disqualification. If that's the case and irrespective of an early guilty plea, then its probable that your attendance at court will be required.

On the grounds that we have very little information on which to base any other specific advice, but primarily because roadside pulls can be very difficult to defend successfully, I suspect you could do worse than having a read through the Mitigation Article.
chris74
QUOTE (nemo @ Sun, 17 Jun 2007 - 11:50) *
I'm confused as to why, when you were asked by Harrier on 21.03.2007 if you could provide some more details, you chose to post nothing until yesterday when you advised you had received a summons.. huh.gif

Anyway, the summons - A plea will need to entered shortly. The Magistrates will consider a reduction in sentence for an early guilty plea. If you do not believe that you are guilty of the offence, or if you choose to defend the allegation (be wary, its unlikely to be easy), then you should enter a plea of not guilty. Note that the trial scheduled for 09.07.2007 will be adjourned until a later date if you plead NG.

Upon conviction for nearly double the posted limit, there exists the possibility of a short period of disqualification. If that's the case and irrespective of an early guilty plea, then its probable that your attendance at court will be required.

On the grounds that we have very little information on which to base any other specific advice, but primarily because roadside pulls can be very difficult to defend successfully, I suspect you could do worse than having a read through the Mitigation Article.

thanks for your advice nemo. i think will go along the mitigation route pleading guilty to the offence by post and see what the outcome will be
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.