DumbRS
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? - South Wales Police
Date of the offence: - 04/3/07
Date of the NIP: - 12/3/07
Date you received the NIP: - 13/3/07
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): -
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons -

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - Wales

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v2.2.0: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:55:27 +0000

These are the answers you've given so far:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - Wales
firefly
Hi there.

Since 58mph in a 30mph zone will possibly land you with a ban, and since you seem an honest sort of a guy, I'd be inclined to obtain the photographic evidence to see if the driver is visible. If not, I'd then sit tight and do nowt at all.

In your shoes I'd write a letter to the police stating that you would like to obtain photographic evidence "in order to assist me in identifying the driver at the time". Once you've done that then post back here with the results.
DumbRS
QUOTE (firefly @ Wed, 14 Mar 2007 - 13:52) *
In your shoes I'd write a letter to the police stating that you would like to obtain photographic evidence "in order to assist me in identifying the driver at the time". Once you've done that then post back here with the results.

I have phoned the numbr on the letter and they say it was taken from the rear. The reason I phoned was due to the fact that I lost a front no. plate about 6 weeks ago. Was worried someone had used it. Are there any templates on what to write to request the copies of photos also what about the calibration tests?. I don't want to give the impression of trying to be a "Smart Ass". I was deffinately driving at the time I know. I'm the only one who drives the car.

Any further advice would be grateful.

Cheers

Dumb RS
DumbRS
Can anyone else offer me any advice on my current situation??

I have updated my nip as I think I did something wrong on the first 1.

Cheers

Dumb RS
mob
Are you absolutely certain who was driving?

If you are not and there could be several drivers I would inform the scammers this is the case. They will no doubt do you for failing to supply the details which, as I understand it, carries 3 points and a big fine (but no ban) or you could name the driver and chance your luck with a ban.
DumbRS
I have read a few different cases on this subject and the advice doesn't always seem to be the same.

1 post that caught my attention as it's a similar speed was to not return the Nip and then they will only issue 3 points nd a fine for non producing of driver details! Would this be better to do in my case as my case if I were to go proper route could land me with a ban?

Cheers

Dumb RS
DumbRS
Can anyone explain or provide a copy of what I need to do in my PACE statement?

I am new to all of this and am trying to read different threads to see what i need to do but to no avail.

Any help at this time would be grateful as it is doing my brain in at the moment. It seems to be taking over!!

Cheers

DumbRS
silvers
QUOTE (DumbRS @ Thu, 15 Mar 2007 - 08:52) *
I have read a few different cases on this subject and the advice doesn't always seem to be the same.

1 post that caught my attention as it's a similar speed was to not return the Nip and then they will only issue 3 points nd a fine for non producing of driver details! Would this be better to do in my case as my case if I were to go proper route could land me with a ban?

Cheers

Dumb RS

1. You could do nowt, get 3 points on your licence with a big fine and a TS90 code that puts your insurance up loads.

2. Plead guilty -this as I understand can go either way if you show remorse and offer mitigation. You could get 6 points, a large fine and no ban which will be better for insurance, or get banned for a couple of weeks and a fine, and no points, but get screwed on your insurance as with a TS90 code (checked it on confused.com).

It's a personal choice but in any case there is a punishment to be taken. I am going down the mitigation route.
DumbRS
[/quote]

1. You could do nowt, get 3 points on your licence with a big fine and a TS90 code that puts your insurance up loads.

2. Plead guilty -this as I understand can go either way if you show remorse and offer mitigation. You could get 6 points, a large fine and no ban which will be better for insurance, or get banned for a couple of weeks and a fine, and no points, but get screwed on your insurance as with a TS90 code (checked it on confused.com).

It's a personal choice but in any case there is a punishment to be taken. I am going down the mitigation route.

[/quote]

A TS fixed penalty is a Traffic signal endorsement as I had 1 of these about 17 years ago. I believe if you fail to provide the "Driver details" then you get a MS fixed penalty which doesn't affect your insurance as your not guilty of any motoring offence?

Ami I correct on this?

DumbRS

P.s I am now totally confused as thatis the third differnet response!!!

HELP!!!
silvers
[/quote]

A TS fixed penalty is a Traffic signal endorsement as I had 1 of these about 17 years ago. I believe if you fail to provide the "Driver details" then you get a MS fixed penalty which doesn't affect your insurance as your not guilty of any motoring offence?

Ami I correct on this?

DumbRS

P.s I am now totally confused as thatis the third differnet response!!!

HELP!!!
[/quote]

Sorry I think it is an MS90 code, but you are very wrong if you think it will not affect your insurance premium. I forgot to mention there is a third option, plead not guilty and pay for professional legal representation and hope you get off with a loop hole, but it will probably cost 1000's
firefly
Since your photographs are from the rear, then there is little danger of being identified from them.

In your shoes I'd be tempted to sit back and do nothing. You never know, you might not hear anything else from them (though this is by no means a given).
DumbRS
QUOTE (firefly @ Fri, 16 Mar 2007 - 23:09) *
Since your photographs are from the rear, then there is little danger of being identified from them.

In your shoes I'd be tempted to sit back and do nothing. You never know, you might not hear anything else from them (though this is by no means a given).

Not even return the NIP? Play as if never recieved?

DumbRS
mob
If I was in your position I would consider writing to them stating that I could not recall who was driving (you do seem to be unsure yourself from your posts) and ask for assistance in identifying the driver, as well as providing several people who it could be (the more the merrier). Then ignoring all further correspondence.

There might just be the danger of them do a bit of a fishing trip and prosecuting you for a failing to supply the details and speeding if no other potential drivers are named.

If they have a list of potential drivers then prosecuting one for speeding without any evidence as to the identity is very hard.

This is just my personal opinion of course.

Alternatively you could just ignore the NIP.

Or you could just plead guilty and take your chances with a ban.

It really is up to you how you want to play this. Personally I would opt for 3 points and no ban.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.