Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Execessive speed not specified in NIP
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
proton
Hey guys,

great website here. I've just been trawling through all the emails and there is a wealth of information.

My problem: I have been sent an NIP 16 days after the offence but it is a company car so probably won't get away with "Time out " argument. However, the NIP does not specify the speed I was going. It only says that I exceeded the 30 mph. Are they legally bound to be more specific when sending a threat letter such as the NIP?

Thanks
firefly
Hi proton,

I'm assuming this is the Met that sent you this? They have a history of sending out NIPs with no specified speed on them.

Did the relevant force send out a conditional offer along with it?
FastShow
Norfolk do the same thing, it's becoming more and more common.
Blackbird
Hi proton
It only says that I exceeded the 30 mph. Are they legally bound to be more specific when sending a threat letter such as the NIP?

To answer the specific question - No.

Can you remember the 'event' ? Any chance of 'ban' speed? icon_eek.gif or as ff said Conditional Offer?

Regards
chrizm
I have the same kind of thing in Derbyshire. No particular speed but a range from 55-70 on a summons. :? Already been to court twice and revisiting on 4th June so will soon find out.

If no speed is specified then surely it will be a fixed penalty of 3 points, or maybe soon 2, and £60.

THe best thing to do is have a good read of http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga..._en_2.htm#mdiv1
and aslo http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=1073
proton
Can you remember the 'event' ? Any chance of 'ban' speed? icon_eek.gif or as ff said Conditional Offer?

I remember the event and I don't thin I was going over 30. What is a ban speed?

Yes it was the Met!

Can Gatsos work proeprly if there are no lines on the road like we usually see?
broosta
Proton, I had NIP from Norfolk also without speed specified. I have since received a copy of some photos and whilst 'they' still won't say what speed my car was alleged to have been doing, I managed to smudge away their scribble from the photo which showed a speed of 125mph.
So no speed stated on NIP is NOT an indication of merely a fixed penalty prosecution - unfortunately sad.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.