Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can 3 Points be removed from a license after 18 months ????
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
jbnewms
After discussing speeding and speeding convictions with some friends earlier today, a suggestion was made that anyone is entitled to apply to the DVLA after half the penalised time has expired (eg 18 months for a 3 point penalty on a license for 3 years) to have the 3 points removed off your license ... along the lines of good behaviour (provided you haven't been caught speeding in the previous 18 months of course).

As a bus driver his claim was that very few people are aware of this and as a result very few people do it. Though he claims it is part of their company policy to inform all drivers of this fact.

I am aware that normally the 3 points apply for 3 years for the purpose of 'totting up' towards 12 points and a possible ban if need be, and that the points stay on your license for a 4th year before being removed.

I was just wondering whether this is fact or fiction ?
... has anyone else heard of such a policy ?

JB'
Red Shiney Wheels
This would seem to be a bit of a strange thing to do given the use of the totting up procedure!!

Actually I believe the points stay on your licence for 5 years but are only used for 'totting up' over 3 years.
DW190
Very Strange. Here is theGuide:

Endorsement Guide

You can apply for Disqualifications to be reduced after serving half the term.
Red Shiney Wheels
I don't know if this is true either:

A friend of mine passed me a book on Driver's Survival some while ago. In this book it does suggest that you can get points removed from your licence after 3 years by the following means. Send in the form saying you have lost your licence or stick it in your jeans pocket & wash them - whatever. Allegedly the licence will be returned minus the spent endorsements.

Don't know if this is true or not.... but I suppose its worth a go.

RSW
immy
£19 quid to renew a lost licence
eXOBeX
Move house. That's what I did. Points off, no problem.

Re: getting points off after 18 months, the key word here is DISQUALIFICATION. Disqualifications can be shortened, AFAIK points cannot.
Red Shiney Wheels
eXOBeX,

Funny you should say that - I've just posted a response on another thread about a friend from Leicester who did that!!!

Assuming you are not him I wonder if this is a common occurrance or you've both been very lucky!! icon_wink.gif

RSW
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.