Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Central Scotland NIP
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Not Another NIP?
Having returned the NIP unsigned, you'll see that Central Scotland Police have returned it to me asking me to sign it. What should do now?

ninja.gif

NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? - Central Scotland
Date of the offence: - December 2006
Date of the NIP: - 6 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 18 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A9 Edinburgh/Perth Road, Dunblane, District of Stirling at a part near to Allan Water
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - NK
How many current points do you have? - 6
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - I was travelling on a dual carriageway with a 70mph limit when allegedly I was caught at 81mph although I never saw a tallivan anywhere. I ususally drive with my cruise control set at 80mph as per the speedo so was surprised to receive the NIP.

The car is registered in my name but the address is the company that adminsters the company car scheme. They received the NIP on 15/12/06 and returned it. I then received my copy on 27/12/06.

The NIP was returned unsigned at the end of the 28 day period and actually crossed with another letter from the Police giving me a 14 day extension.

The unsigned NIP has been sent back to me stating it cannot be accepted but doesn't mention what law I'm breaking by not signing it!

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - Scotland
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v1.0.2: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:49:19 +0000

These are the answers you've given so far:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - Scotland
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes

Wizard version 1.0.2
firefly
Where do you live?
popdog28
At 81 on a dual carriage-way, if you put up a bit of a fight, and dont live too close (as Firefly is intimating), you have a good chance of a time-out with an unsigned N.I.P. Depends on if the thought of a personal visit from the police scares you.
Not Another NIP?
I live in Dundee and wouldn't be bothered about a visit from the Police. Should I now just send the unsigned NIP back to them. Do I attach any additional correspondance or just the NIP? Would central Scotland Police come all the way to Dundee or do they pass it to Tayside?

Thanks for the advice.
calum
I'm in exactly the same position - unsigned NIP returned with a letter asking me to complete and return.

Cheers,

Calum
The Rookie
The only consistency in what happens is that its inconsistent, its possible the BiB will come round, but as you've surmised there is no Scottish case law that requires the NIP to be signed (its not specifically in the RTA either, but English case law says we have to sign down here).

Simon
Not Another NIP?
So whats is the next step?
  1. Return unsigned without covering letter?
  2. Return unsigned with covering letter advising that I've satisfied S172 requirement
  3. Not do anything?
Thanks.
Not Another NIP?
Still looking for advice on what to do next? Which of the above should I proceed with? Once I know I'll wait and keep everybody updated with the progress of this.

Does it make any difference that they returned the original NIP to me with big "Central Acotland Police" stamps across it?

Thanks
The Rookie
The advice to return unsigned and no mention of a covering letter has already been given, nothing you have added would change that, but has only reinforced it.

Simon
Not Another NIP?
NIP that was returned unsigned then sent back to me asking for it to be signed has now been sent back to then unsigned and without any covering letter.
Not Another NIP?
Change of plan. The returned and unsigned NIP wasn't returned to them. After reading more posts from memebers I decided just to ignore their request to sign the NIP.

I have now received a Conditional Offer of fixed Penalty dated 13 March.

Am I right in thinking that I just ignore this as well?
On the square...
ignore it
Rev-head
QUOTE (Not Another NIP? @ Mon, 19 Mar 2007 - 14:06) *
Change of plan. The returned and unsigned NIP wasn't returned to them. After reading more posts from memebers I decided just to ignore their request to sign the NIP.

Lucky guy i got sent letter that it was going to PF no COFP ....probably to do with the speed you were doing
Fight it
QUOTE (Rev-head @ Mon, 19 Mar 2007 - 19:31) *
QUOTE (Not Another NIP? @ Mon, 19 Mar 2007 - 14:06) *

Lucky guy i got sent letter that it was going to PF no COFP ....probably to do with the speed you were doing

What was your speed Rev?
Cheers,
Rev-head
88 in a 60
Fight it
QUOTE (Rev-head @ Mon, 19 Mar 2007 - 19:57) *
88 in a 60

Cheers! I was wondering as I am 87 in a 70! back in oct 06 still nowt after 2 cofp's ignored unsure.gif
Rev-head
Not long to go before your 6 month is up..good luck
Fight it
QUOTE (Rev-head @ Mon, 19 Mar 2007 - 20:13) *
Not long to go before your 6 month is up..good luck

ninja.gif cheers!

Not another NIP? as rev head says I am in the same position as yourself and played the game the same way, so its a matter of time! best of luck
Not Another NIP?
Well, the date of offence was early December so time is running out for the Boys in Blue. I've heard nothing after ignoring the Conditional Offer letter and as far as I'm aware there has been no coppers at the door.

Am I right in thinking that if it is not on the Fiscals desk by early June then I'm in the clear?

Got a parking ticket I need to dodge now.

biggrin.gif
The Rookie
There has been some debate about what the 6 month timeout (in Scotland) refers to, but its generally considered to be the first diet date, so as you would reasonably get the citation 2 weeks in advance of that I think you are home free......one for success stories I think!

Simon
Rev-head
QUOTE (Not Another NIP? @ Thu, 22 Feb 2007 - 20:42) *
I live in Dundee and wouldn't be bothered about a visit from the Police. Should I now just send the unsigned NIP back to them. Do I attach any additional correspondance or just the NIP? Would central Scotland Police come all the way to Dundee or do they pass it to Tayside?

Thanks for the advice.

Funny thing!! all the NIPs are processed in Dundee for Tayside
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.