Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not about parking tickets but....
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
stark
First of all, great website, with great people. Just read all 32 page of the Gatwick BP thread took me the better part of an hour (my eyes feel weird)

I work for a facilities management company (looking after the property for a major high street bank) I am getting many requests from this bank to install entry and exit barriers to their car parks. You can enter the car park via a barrier/one way plates, but can only exit by inserting a token (collected from the cashier). This is to try and stop non customers using the car park to go shopping for the day or to park for free all day while at work.

I was informed about an incident the other day where a gentleman (non customer) stormed into the bank and demanded a token, (he didn't even wait in line!) and very loudly stated that "there was sod all we could do about it and he would continue to park freely for as long as he liked in the future."

My question is:

The branch manager was going to refuse to hand out a token, and inform the gentleman that the barrier is left up when the staff leave at 6pm (to avoid vandalism) and he would be able to remove his car then. Does anyone know if this is an option from a legal stand point?

The car park and road leading to the car park is well signed, stating the car park is solely for the use of bank customers (and staff) while visiting the branch.

I personally think that the gentleman in question would be able to contact the police and the bank would be forced to release the car straight away.

I would be interested in hearing anyone’s opinion/advice.

Thanks in advance.

Stark
Mr Grumpy
I'm probably going to get slated here but, i think it would be reasonable to add to the entrance notice that any non bank customers may purchase an exit token for a charge of say £5, they then enter a contract, the fee is reasonable and must be paid, much better than a rip off company
Ziltro
I could say that the main cause is probably some council who got DPE and has put up waay too many restrictions and maybe they should be the ones to solve the problem... But as I don't even know where this is there are too many assumptions there.
oldone
I wonder what the gentleman in question would say if someone parked in his drive and told him they could park
where they liked. The Bank carpark is private property, and as such the owners can set whatever terms they
choose for its use. If the gentleman in question had not been given a token and called the police; I think they
would have said it was a civil matter.I suggest that the Bank makes absolutely sure the signs are clearly seen
and continues to enforce its policy.
Teufel
error
Silver City Tim
I seem to remember people blocking British Gas vans in their drives when they were failing to honour a free gift scheme. As long as you don't damage or sell the car, access could be denied to the driver. I think it was on the grounds that the driver would be trespassing if he entered your property.
Teufel
see arthur v anker

to remove or immobolise or block vehicles on private land
resonable notice must be given to the tresspasser of the danger of such self-help

this covers land to ehich vehicls have access - such as the roads on a private
trading estate

land which is presumed private to whcih access is not invited (eg my front garden)
does not require such notice since it is presumed resonable in such cases
that the tresspasser shoudl be aware
stark
Thanks for your advice guys, will look into arthur v anker.

regards,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.