Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cctv car + parking enforcement?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
flopper
I noticed the other night that my local authority now uses a cctv smart car to enforce parking restrictions. I spoke to the driver and he showed me how the equipment worked. They use a cctv camera mounted inside the car to take a picture of the vehicle whilst recording the whole thing on film. They then send you a ticket through the post with you being none the wiser until it arrives.

My questions (until I have a chance to research myself) are:

Is this a legal method of enforcement?

Are they required to issue a ticket to you at the scene?

Would this be covered by type approval regulations?

I'm asking because after talking to the chaps in the car, i thought that it is a strange way of conducting things. I have had many tickets in my time but not had one from cctv (until now blush.gif ). The parking attendant were very nice and answered all my questions but were shocked when they realised they had just given 'the interested passer by' a ticket.

Has anyone else seen these cars around or had a ticket from them? What do you think guys and gals? icon_idea.gif icon_idea.gif
eddie1234567
QUOTE (flopper @ Fri, 9 Feb 2007 - 19:22) *
I noticed the other night that my local authority now uses a cctv smart car to enforce parking restrictions. I spoke to the driver and he showed me how the equipment worked. They use a cctv camera mounted inside the car to take a picture of the vehicle whilst recording the whole thing on film. They then send you a ticket through the post with you being none the wiser until it arrives.

My questions (until I have a chance to research myself) are:

Is this a legal method of enforcement?

Are they required to issue a ticket to you at the scene?

Would this be covered by type approval regulations?

I'm asking because after talking to the chaps in the car, i thought that it is a strange way of conducting things. I have had many tickets in my time but not had one from cctv (until now blush.gif ). The parking attendant were very nice and answered all my questions but were shocked when they realised they had just given 'the interested passer by' a ticket.

Has anyone else seen these cars around or had a ticket from them? What do you think guys and gals? icon_idea.gif icon_idea.gif

I could only find this
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/locact00/20000007.htm
Part ii para 4

But reading this by the fact that by any device now sort of undermines rta 1991 66(1), give the PA a device, let him take photos (or drive around taking photos) and you no longer need to issue tickets, even if you drive away. He recorded (or started to record) the details on his device

4. - (1) This section does not apply to the council of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.

(2) Where a participating council, on the basis of information provided by the use of a camera or any other device, has reason to believe that a penalty charge relating to a stationary vehicle in a designated parking place or a special parking area in the area of the council is payable under Part II of the Act of 1991 with respect to the vehicle, they may serve a penalty charge notice on the person appearing to them to be the owner of the vehicle.
Box Clever
These smart cars are also used to enforce yellow box junctions. Maybe we should christen them Stupid cars blush.gif

It is difficult to know whether there is any type approval on any of the CCTV equipment used for enforcement. In general it is not being used to measure speed, although that is a debatable point when it comes to assessing whether a vehicle has stopped in a yellow box.

The requirements seem to be good quality, high definition pictures with a verifiable date/time stamp and frames sequentially numbered. With mobile cameras I would guess that GPS can be used to give a location and provide the time.
Teufel
the devices and locations for cctv enforcement have to be spcifically described in the TRO
flopper
QUOTE (Teufel @ Sat, 10 Feb 2007 - 09:57) *
the devices and locations for cctv enforcement have to be spcifically described in the TRO

This would be good. I'm onto getting a copy. As this was a bus top clearway it does not IMU require a TRO. Do you have any more details on this?

Thanks for the replies guys, i'm already known tothe parking department and this will make me even more unpopular icon_hang.gif ninja.gif ninja.gif
peterb
Where was your ticket issed ??
Wouldn't surprise me if your ticket was issued in Haringey.

Councils will try it on left, right & centre merrily issuing tickets without correct Lines/Signs/Authority.

Here's some information on how Haringey Council, London operates:

Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) Enforcement
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/environme...enforcement.htm

Parking Enforcement CCTV camera locations
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/environme...v_locations.htm

Looks like Haringey Council are using all their Bus Lane/Traffic cameras for parking enforcement.
(One of their cameras in Lordship Lane might be highest earner, I'll dig out stats.)

peterb
Box Clever
QUOTE (peterb @ Sat, 10 Feb 2007 - 14:22) *
Here's some information on how Haringey Council, London operates:

And here's some more info on how Haringey operates
(Shameless plug) closedeyes.gif
flopper
Thanks for the useful links. Plug away box clever, the more people that know the better!!

My ticket was issued not too far from Haringey, in the Borough of Enfield. I am familiar with some of the haringey sites and have found some interesting chunks in the links provided.

QUOTE ("teufel")

Actually back to this, how would a mobile cctv car be covered? blink.gif blink.gif

ninja.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.