Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken Stop Line
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Mad DOg
Just b4 xmas i had a bit of a domestic emergency and had to get home and back to work quite quickly. I got stuck in a queue at some lights near where i work and where there are major road works. Stupidly I went thru the lights just after they changed and got caught on a new camera. On the advice of a friend I have requested and recieved the photo evidence and just as I thought, the stop line is very much broken, due to the road works. It is not a pedestrian crossing and I wasnt speeding. Does anyone know whether I could argue aganst the prosecution because of the broken stop line?
Teufel
definitley worth a try

search here for info on the law of lines and signs

for example

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=17816&hl=
jeffreyarcher
QUOTE (Mad DOg @ Mon, 29 Jan 2007 - 23:35) *
Does anyone know whether I could argue aganst the prosecution because of the broken stop line?

Personally I think that you'd be toiling, becasue traffic lights don't actually require a 'stop' line.
Ziltro
The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 (43)
(3) Where no stop line has been provided in conjunction with light signals or the stop line is not visible, references in relation to those signals to the "stop line" are -

(b) in any other case, to be treated as references to the post or other structure on which the primary signals are mounted.
dazfoz
QUOTE (Ziltro @ Tue, 30 Jan 2007 - 15:46) *
The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 (43)
(3) Where no stop line has been provided in conjunction with light signals or the stop line is not visible, references in relation to those signals to the "stop line" are -

(b) in any other case, to be treated as references to the post or other structure on which the primary signals are mounted.

Would it be worth checking the positioning of the broken line?

If the broken line is actually before the lights, then the camera would record the offence Alleged offence as the car crosses the position of the broken white line.

If this is the case, then would the above Traffic Signs Regs help as a defence?

Just a thought.

Daz
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.