Full Version: NIP help
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
evoelf
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? - Essex Police
Date of the offence: - November 2006
Date of the NIP: - 43 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 72 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A126 London Road, Grays, Opposite the junction with Angle Road
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - NK
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - The first I knew was when I got stopped on 13-Dec-2006 in a DVLA/VOSA etc... check and the car had a PNC. At the time and to my suprise i was informed that the DVLA had no record of me being the registered keeper. I was informed by the officer that Essex police were wanting to contact the owner of the car regarding a speeding offence. I cannot remember the camera going off. I've just received a FINAL REMINDER dated the 12-Jan-2007 that states "Original correspondence was sent to you on 14-Dec-2006 and either no reply of insufficient information has been received within the statutory reply period" I DID NOT received this letter)

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - No
Was there a valid reason for the NIP's late arrival? - Unsure
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • Complete the PACE witness statement.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v1.0.2: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:38:54 +0000
Peter_D
You need to establish what details DVLA have on you and the date from which they have been on file. At the same time establish by written letter what address the original NIP was sent to. If they had no record of you where did they send it. If this was a mobile camera unit not a fixed camera then request photos to help identify the driver, do not use the word evidence. If the car in the photo really your car and were you in the area at the time and location they say you were caught. Regards Peter
crystal
Hi,

Were you the RK at the time of the offence, has you recently bought the car. What is update date on the V5C (look in the grey "offical Use Only" section it appers arefer the "Doc Ref No"

Regards
Crystal
evoelf
I only recieved the V5C today.

It doesn't have any date in the "official use only" section, but under section 5 "registered keeper" it has "acquired vehicle on 02/11/2006". The NIP says that the date offence is 01/11/06.

I have scans of everything I recieved with the NIP.

I haven't sent any response yet. I want to be 100% sure of everything first.

Thanks ;-)
Hotel Oscar 87
EE

A couple of important questions:

1. Did you actually acquire the vehicle on 2 November or is this wrong in some way?
2. Were you at the location at about the time of the alleged offence?

If the answer to the first is "Yes" and the second "No" then they have no case against you and the matter should be referred back to the previous keeper.

If the date you acquired the vehicle is going to become an issue you will have to give us some more details.
The Rookie
OK but what date did you ACTUALLY aquire the vehicle on? either the date on your V5 is wrong or the previos owner is trying to get off by saying he's sold the car even though he still owned it when the offence occured.

If you think you were the owner you have 28 days from receipt of the first NIp to reply, as they had to send a reminder.

Have you written to them at all yet? If not I would pop a short letter in the post saying this is the first you are aware of this allegation and you will be replying 'once you have determined the identity of the driver', (should anything kick off later you will have established the valid S172 notice service date) also ask for photo's to 'help confirm the identity of the driver' mention that its diificult as the offence was a while ago. This will also be sueful as a first heads up on the nature of there evidence.

Simon
evoelf
Is there any particular format or template that would be best used when replying?

Regarding the registered keeper the V5C has the previous registered keeper but they do not have any details other than the name.

My license has been clean since the summer and my insurance has become a little more friendy. More points would be a real kick in the nutts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.