Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: not signing the NIP but notifying police of driver
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
chand888
would the police still request your signature even though you have identified the driver but not signed the form. would they then pursue the driver and not registered keeper. help appreciated
Mika
Hi,

If you are the registered keeper, and naming someone else as the driver, there is little point in not signing the form.

This post may help you to understand why.
stephen fleck
When I received the NIP, and my wife was driving, I filled it in correctly, and left it unsigned.
Partly to see what would happen.
Partly to share the points if it all went pear-shaped.
Partly to try and protect my wife from threatening letters.

I expected the police to issue another NNIP to my wife, but Cambs Police returned the original NIP demanding a signature, quoting Broomfield.
I replied, quoting Pickford.
They have sent the case to the CPS, but would not clarify who is to be charged with what !

Maybe they have made a mistake, and just assumed my unsigned NIP was like all the others.
Maybe if they accepted my unsigned NIP as information and complying with the law, and didn't threaten s172, it would be a dangerous precedent even though it was not actually needed as evidence. For instance, if they accepted my unsigned NIP, then they should accept everyones. The s172 law is equally applicable to the keeper's NIP as the driver's NIP, although in one case it is needed as evidence, and in the other case it is only finger-pointing.

I think you've got nothing to lose, by not signing the keeper's NIP. If it did go to court for s172 and speeding, you should be able to avoid both convictions (whereas if the driver is summonsed for both, he's more likely to end up with 1 of the offences unless he manages a Pickford trick)

Juts my thoughts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.