Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got flashed while heading the other way (Gatso)
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
BlackieVTS
Hi all,

I'm new here. Gaz from down Sussex way.

I got flashed the other day heading into Brighton but the camera was on the other side of the road including the grid. There was actually some poor sod in the grid but he was driving slowly and wasn't speeding while I was quite a bit over. Can I expect any repucussions from this or am I safe.

Cheers.

Gaz
Rallyman72
You should be OK as the GATSO camera is not type approved for use on oncoming or forward facing vehicles - it should only take pictures of the rear of a car. Some do trigger the flash when a car goes past in the 'wrong' direction but any photograph taken is not supposed to be used to support a prosecution. You will only know for certain that you are safe 14 days after the camera went off as many SCP's like to try and bluff people into paying up. I would say you would have to be very unlucky to be done.
BlackieVTS
Thanks for reply. Wonder what set it off. My mate reckons it may have been the shadow of my car but I would have been too far back at the time.

Do you think the other motorist would have got a letter? Must have suprised him.
Rallyman72
The checking process should ensure he doesn't get a NIP and these things can go off at below the speed limit - I've been flashed at 25 in a 30 - heard nothing but the camera must have used a lot of film that night!
Peter_D
Gatso Camera work on the Doppler principle but the filtering system does not differentiate between negative ( receeding) or positive ( approaching vehicles ) aar shadows have nothing to do with it. The sytem triggers and two flashes 1/2 a second apart mark the distance travelled against the road markings. It is not unknown for prosecutions/warning to be issued for approaching vehicles but it is normally for things loke overtaking and entering the marked lane, and seriuos speeding detections, sit tight I doubt you will hear anything. Regards Peter
H&Ps
if there weren't any of the white markings (used to measure the speed) on the opposite side of the road how could they work out what speed you were doing anyway?

i was once flashed by a gatso driving toward it and never heard a thing
Ziltro
QUOTE (Peter_D @ Wed, 3 Jan 2007 - 15:56) *
Gatso Camera work on the Doppler principle but the filtering system does not differentiate between negative ( receeding) or positive ( approaching vehicles )

Yes it does, there's a control knob for selecting the direction and "R" (or "A") is printed on the photograph.

It could be a 'dummy' or 'junior' unit, purely designed to fire the flash to scare people. This doesn't have the direction selector.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.