Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can i be prosecuted?????
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Daz
can i be prosecuted as i may have been over the speed limit on a motorway, there was a police car parked on the side with a speed gun in the drivers seat. I thought that if i was speeding then he would have to pull me over to identfy me or is this not the case. Or can the record the vehicle details or take a photo/video with the han held type guns.

Cheers
crystal
Hi,

He does not have to stop you at the time. They have 14 days to send a NIP to the Registered Keeper. Some devices have video some dont.

If you get a NIP come back and complete the NIP wizard

Regards
Crystal
Daz
so it basically depends on whether or not he had a video on the speed gun or not. Otherwise they would have no real evidence of identfying the vehicle or driver other than the officers word of the registration. is this correct, ta.
crystal
Hi,

they only need the officers word they do not need a photo/ video

Regards
Crystal
g_attrill
If it was a normal police car on the motorway there is very little chance you will get a NIP in the post, they almost always stop the driver there and then.

Gareth
Daz
surely the system is then open to abuse by the officers, or perhaps they could easily mis write a reg no. due to poor visability etc...

thats what i thought gareth, theres normally an other car about a mile down the road and i guess they radio through for them to stop you, but theres was nothing.
JME
If the police did miswrite the number plate then whenever the person received the NIp they would state that they were somewhere else on the day in qs and either the number plate was cloned or the officer was mistaken. Generally people would be able to confirm where they were eg work/family/ meeting at the other end of the country.

As for the system being open to abuse by police officers that is certainly the case, but if they wanted to make up an offence against you then they could do better than speeding. Imagine how easily an officer cold say you gave them a shove and arrest you for police assault if you rubbed them up the wrong way. We just have to hope that they aren't al corrupt and I am sure there are enough genuine speeders for them not to have to make up offences. A recent trap near here caught over 150 people in an hour by where the limit changed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.