Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SORN advice
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Wolfie_17
Hi Guys
I'm just about to embark on a nice little SORN exercise & wondered if anyone had any experience or advice?

This is what has happened so far:
My wifes car tax finished at the end of Sept 05 (I am the RK), I know I should have SORN'd it when she stopped using it but I just forgot.
I got a letter from the DVLA dated 3rd Dec 05: Failure to relicence vehicle & requiring a £40 or £80 penalty, which I didn't pay.
I put a SORN notice on it on the 14th Dec 05 at the local PO & got a letter from DVLA dated 15th Dec 05 thanking me & stating that the SORN applies from 1st Oct 05. End of problem i thought.

Yesterday I received a letter from a debt collection agency demanding the unpaid £80 for the offence that occured on the 1st of Oct 2005, thats 14 months later! or court proceedings may result or clamping or removal of the vehicle. The letter is dated 3rd Dec 06 & I had to pay by 13th Dec 06, I only got the letter yesterday!

My questions are:
1) Are you automatically guilty without trial or anything if you dont SORN in time?
2) If they want to start court proceedings surely they are to late under the 6 month rule?

Anybody got any advice or shall I just pay the £80 & shut up?

ps I did Tax the car again at the end of Dec 05 & its been taxed ever since.
Hotel Oscar 87
Anybody got any advice or shall I just pay the £80 & shut up?
Yes!
The Road Vehicles (SORN) Regs, 1997 - Sec. 6 says:
Where, on or after 31st January 1998, a vehicle licence ceases to be in force for a vehicle by reason of the expiration of the period for which the licence was granted and a further vehicle licence (or if appropriate a nil licence) for the vehicle is not taken out so as to run from the expiration of that period, the keeper of the vehicle shall make the required declaration and furnish the required particulars in relation to the vehicle -
(a) if he is a motor trader, not later than the end of the period of three months starting with the day following the expiration of that period; or
(b) in any other case, not later than that day.
Any further delay will start to pile up the debt collection agency's charges as well.

Bad Luck
ChoccieMuffin
Is there any limitation outside of which they cannot pursue you for not having your vehicle taxed?
Fubar
I have 3 bikes, 2 landrovers and a car. some are sorned and a couple of times I have forgotten and got a letter announcing that I was to be fined.
on both occasions, I rang the local licensing office (leeds for me) not swansea, and told them I had posted the SORN and what were they playing at, the bike was in bits in my lounge (true). the bloke immediately squashed it and sent me a letter saying they wouldn't follow further.
I got the main switchboard number subtracted 2 off the end so got through to an office manager somewhere, who just wanted rid of me.
You have a fair chance of sorting it by talking to them, they aren't as bad as the scammeraship in my experience. no doubt other peoples experiences may differ.
Wolfie_17
Thanks Guys
I'll give the debt collecters a ring tomorrow & plead nicely with them although I doubt I'll get anywhere!
Then get the cheque book out!

Cheers W_17
Wolfie_17
Update
I phoned the debt collectors & as I thought got absolutely nowhere after speaking to a very officious lady, she just demanded the £80 with a threat of £1000 costs if I didnt pay!!

Based on the assumption that 'shy kids get no sweets' I then phoned the DVLA & spoke to a very nice helpful lady who said they would accept £40 in full & final payment if I paid now as nobody could prove whether I had actually sent them a cheque for £40 in the first place especially after 12 months. She would also instruct the debt collector to leave me alone.

So thanks for your help & advice guys..... CASE CLOSED!

p.s. With the £40 I've saved I bought myself a subscription to Pepipoo, to save wasting it on beer!

Cheers W_17
Lynnzer
QUOTE (Wolfie_17 @ Thu, 21 Dec 2006 - 14:05) *
Update
I phoned the debt collectors & as I thought got absolutely nowhere after speaking to a very officious lady, she just demanded the £80 with a threat of £1000 costs if I didnt pay!!

Based on the assumption that 'shy kids get no sweets' I then phoned the DVLA & spoke to a very nice helpful lady who said they would accept £40 in full & final payment if I paid now as nobody could prove whether I had actually sent them a cheque for £40 in the first place especially after 12 months. She would also instruct the debt collector to leave me alone.

So thanks for your help & advice guys..... CASE CLOSED!

p.s. With the £40 I've saved I bought myself a subscription to Pepipoo, to save wasting it on beer!

Cheers W_17

Nice end to a sticky problem.
Beer? Whoo Needs it? Pepipoo is intoxicating enough.
Hotel Oscar 87
I'd still go for the beer - as well
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.