Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speeding Fine
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
steve b
Last week i was driving down the A338 Wessex way in Bournemouth at about midnight. I am unfamiliar with the area and strayed over the limit and got flashed by a camera doing about 60 in a 50 zone.

I hold my hands up and admit that its my own fault for getting caught no excuses and readied myself for possible prosecution. today a NIP was sent to me and its saying that i was clocked doing 105 in a 50, yes 105!!

this i completely impossible and 3 other people were in the car and all could confirm i was nowhere near that speed. on a road like that its just crazy!

ive got no idea what to do now. is it possible the camera is wrong? what are my options in this case becuase if this goes any further its clear i will loose my liscense for something im sure i didnt do.

anyone have any suggestions??

steve
kingjohn
With a speed like that you're going to get a summons, so you might as well ask for photo's to id the driver now.
If it was a gatso (you were flashed) you are entitled to all the evidence against you before you go to court.
If you could have been doing that kind of speed then you might be best off just ignoring it and taking 3 points for failure to provide driver details.
Fil in the NIP wizard and you'll get more help.

To add: I know that road well, and whilst it may be "crazy" it would be entirely possible to do 100 along it.
crystal
Hi

Please visit the READ ME FIRST section (Click Here), answer all the questions in the NIP Wizard, and then post the Wizard's output back here to enable us to help you.

Its not unkown for them to be wrong. But make sure you post the facts so we know. You can ask for a photo to id the driver but is does not in iteslf extend the 28 days to reply.

Regards
crystal
andy_foster
One of our members recently got a NIP from TVP alleging 103 in a 30 limit in the middle of the day - virtually impossible on that road. He wrote to the scammers asking for photos to help to identify the driver and received gatso photos of his car allegedly doing 35 in a 30 at the time, date and location in the NIP.
After a strongly worded letter, he got an apology and an offer of a speed awareness course (which would have been offered for 35 in a 30 anyway).
Presumably someone else got a NIP alleging 35 in a 70 limit?
steve b
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? - Dorset
Date of the offence: - November 2006
Date of the NIP: - 6 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 9 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A338 Wessex Way, Bournemouth,nr Richmond Park-Ebd
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - NK
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? - mums car
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - taking a trip down to a local tesco with 4 ocupants. unaware of the surroundings looking for a junction and strayed above the speed limit and didnt see the camera and got flashed.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - No
Although you are not the Registered Keeper, were you the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it)? - No
Is the NIP addressed to you personally? - Yes
As you were not responsible for the vehicle, somebody else has named you as the driver. Were you driving? - Yes

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • Complete the PACE witness statement.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v1.0.2: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 03:44:49 +0000

QUOTE (kingjohn @ Sat, 9 Dec 2006 - 23:08) *
To add: I know that road well, and whilst it may be "crazy" it would be entirely possible to do 100 along it.

well im not hugely familiar with the road but ill take you word for it. i dont expect you to believe me but i know in my own head that i wasnt driving that fast. if i cant prove otherwise what sort of fine and conviction am i looking at?

thank you all for the quick response!!
kingjohn
Wasn't accusing you of anything mate, just saying that it's within the realms of possibility so they may not to think a mistake has been made regarding the alleged speed.
BaggieBoy
I'm assuming that this is a GATSO, there are several along Wessex Way. So if you were doing 60 or so then the photographs should back this up, the distance covered beyween the two photographs will hopefully prove you were not doing anything like 100+. Problem is you are not entitled to the evidence at this stage, however asking for a photograph to "help with identifying the drive" can't do any harm; you never know what it will show up.
steve b
QUOTE (kingjohn @ Sun, 10 Dec 2006 - 11:47) *
Wasn't accusing you of anything mate, just saying that it's within the realms of possibility so they may not to think a mistake has been made regarding the alleged speed.

sorry didnt mean to come out like that. i had another drive down there and i see what you mean. it probably would be possible if you were caining it. going to request the evidence on monday hopefully that will prove the point.

will keep you updated, thanks for the replies!
Blackbird
As Baggie Boy says
however asking for a photograph to "help with identifying the drive" can't do any harm;
..........don't call it evidence (even if that is what it is!) since as was noted earlier, they are under no obligation to supply 'evidence' at this stage.................small point but very important wink.gif

Simply ask for a couple of photos to help identify..........

You need 2 to do the calc and some scammers (not certain about Dorset) are now only sending one photo out which would be no use to you!

Regards
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.