Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nicked for takeing a sip of milk while Driving.
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
kev
Guys.. I can't find any words to describe how I feel.

Yesterday morning I was travelling to work at 08:30 when I noticed a cop car came from nowhere right up my ass end. They followed me for about a mile before blue lighting me. I wasn't wearing a seat belt so obviously thought I was going to get a fixed penalty and the points that go with it. They asked me to step out the car and proceeded to lecture me on how dangerous it is to drink behind the wheel. (Absolutely no mention of safety belt that i wasnt wearing.) I explained to them that i only took a sip of milk thast i had just purchased from the shop. He said drinking anything behind the wheel is as dangerious as using a mobile fone. I could have quite easily lost it with them both but thought.. No keep cool, don’t give them any mouth, and just get myself off to work.
Anyway.. I told them to shove the fixed penalty I’ll go to court; one cop said "that’s ok.. There’s 2 of us and only 1 of you who's the court going to believe" ?

Upon reflection I wish I had took the fixed penalty and paid my £30 government initiated scam.
My question to the forum is.. Does anyone have any experience or could give advise regarding this type of offence? Is this defendable or should I just give it up?

Thanks in advance

Kev
madmoe
bad news I don't know but I think £30 was cheap as chips .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4788910.stm
LittleLuke
Hey maybe not all bad
<I>
When it comes to things like eating, smoking, applying make-up, map reading and tuning in the car stereo, they are not against the law but drivers can be charged with careless driving or not being in proper control of their vehicle.

<\I>

maybe you could argue effectively that at no time were you not in proper control of the vehicle.

HTH
Fubar
I got stopped in harrogate for "not being in proper control of car" whilst putting on a pair of sunglasses!

It came to nothing in the end but I couldn't believe what i was hearing, the only reason i put them on was I was driving into a bright sunset!!!!!
peterb
QUOTE (Fubar @ Thu, 7 Dec 2006 - 01:08) *
I got stopped in harrogate for "not being in proper control of car" whilst putting on a pair of sunglasses!

It came to nothing in the end but I couldn't believe what i was hearing, the only reason i put them on was I was driving into a bright sunset!!!!!

And you said you were in proper control.
They said you weren't.
And you said you were in proper control.
They said you weren't.

You go to court & both say same above.

Did police have any evidence you weren't in proper control other than "you were putting on sunglasses" ??
Were they trawling for other offences & wanted a nose around ??

peterb
JBL
I'd be amazed if you heard any more. If they do summons you, plead not guilty and fight. Make sure you scan and post any summons here as they often make mistakes, that the learned people here can spot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.