Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flashed twice by one of those yellow boxed camera's
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
guitarheroin
Hi all, Ive done my best to have a read around before I post this, but I may have missed info somewhere, apologies if I have.

Last night at around 9pm I was driving through a village. I saw signs saying 40mph so I made sure I was under 40mph. I saw one of those yellow boxed camera's (it was on the other side of the road, I dont think I saw one on my side) and made sure I was under 40mph (38ish) as I went through that area. It flashed twice. I thought bloody hell I was doing under 40mph!! Then a little further up the road there had been a smash so I turned around went back the way I came so I could go on the motorway instead, as I went through the yellow boxed speeding thingy area I saw the signs on my side of the road saying 30mph, so no wonder I got flashed going the other way. But even though the box had been on the other side of the road and I dont recall seeing another car go through that side, was this flash intended for me? Another car was behind me and he was flashed once. Im a bit confused by this.

Obviuosly I havent recieved an NIP yet as it was only last night, and Im thinking it wont come to my new address (Ive had lots of fun with dvla trying to get my logbook sent to me, and it still hasnt arrived, neither did my tax disc as I had paid online for it, many letters, phone calls and emails about that one).

So then I checked my emails, I thought I had got tax for the year but it turns out it was only for 6 months and Ive now realised it ran out end on Sept, so Im worried about this also.

Can anyone please advise me? Im pretty worried about this.

Thanks sandra
crystal
Hi,

Can you go back and get a photo ? they do sometimes flash in the wrong direction so It is quite possible you will never hear anything.

You seem to be saying the speed limit is 40 in one direction and 30 in the other is this correct ?
What sort of camera is it (forward or rear facing etc)

Tey have 14 days to send the NIP to the address registerd with the DVLA do you have arrangements to collect your post to your old address

Regards
Crystal
guitarheroin
HI Crystal, thanks for your reply. Its not far from here, I'm going to go and take some pics.

Hope youre about when I get back, so I can try and answer you fully without getting all confused!!!

edit: mmm its quite a different story in day light!! Im just uploading pics.
guitarheroin

This is as you approach it, its on the other side of the road.

This is the same camera coming back on ones self.

During day light there are clear signs that the speed is changing from national speed limit, to 40, to 30. Same going back. However the 30 sign is about 50m from the camera (Im crap at distance estimations, but it is a bit of a way). I'm not sure how to describe which way the actual camera is facing, only to say that it was facing the front of my car as I went through.

Had I been driving through in the day light I would have been clearly able to see it was a 30 zone, but I didnt see that last night, I thought it was 40 all the way through.

Im probably buggered.
guitarheroin
Also, the camera flashed in front of me, if that means anything???
Roverboy
This is an odd one, its a Gatso so it should only flash you if you pass it on the same side of the road as it is on (photgraphing the rear of your vehicle). Are you sure there was no vehicle coming the othe way ?. These scameras should not flash oncoming vehicles as the white flash can be blining at night, which is why front facing scameras (Truvelos) have an magenta flash.
There have been reports of this happening before but the scamera partneships deny that it is possible for this to happen, yeah, yeah, (like the banks deny cash machines can give money out of your account without you knowing about it, but thats another story angry.gif ) but it is generally accepted both can happen.
I would say you will be ok, but my more learned friends on here may be able to advise you better.
guitarheroin
Hi and thanks roverboy, Im fairly certain I was the only one on the road at that point and it definately flashed in front of me on the other side of the road, it was really blinding, even enough to scare my 8 year old in the back of the car who shrieked at it.
guitarheroin
QUOTE (andy_foster @ Fri, 28 Apr 2006 - 19:43) *
No. It is served when it is delivered.
However, it will be deemed to have been served a day or 2 after being posted, unless and until the contrary is proved. Basically, you have to prove (by giving credible evidence under oath) that it was not delivered until today.

Just a quick question about this part if I may. With me I am concerned that dvla still havent updated my address, although they should have, if it turns out that my possible NIP goes to my old address am I able to cite the 14 day thing as I have updated my address etc and there may be a balls up at their end?

QUOTE (ged1625 @ Sun, 26 Nov 2006 - 20:12) *
VICTORY FOR THE LITTLE MAN. Just had confirmation that my NIP has been cancelled. N Wales camera partnership 0 me 1. wahey!!!!

Well done biggrin.gif
crystal
Hi,

My guess is it whent off by accident (it does happen) and you will hear nothing. It looks like it is for rear photos

good luck

Regards
Crystal
guitarheroin
QUOTE (crystal @ Sun, 26 Nov 2006 - 21:36) *
Hi,

My guess is it whent off by accident (it does happen) and you will hear nothing. It looks like it is for rear photos

good luck

Regards
Crystal

Hi Crystal thanks, I do feel somewhat relieved at that, although I cant help but think I may be in the shit still, I was technically speeding when it went off. I was also starting to think maybe it is for both sides of the road as there are lines markings on both, but that would mean flashing drivers in the face. I guess I will have to wait and see. Plus it did flash the driver behind me too, s/he was about 30 feet or so behind, and got a single flash.
guitarheroin
just a quick question rt if I may. With me I am concerned that dvla still havent updated my address, although they should have, if it turns out that my possible NIP goes to my old address am I able to cite the 14 day thing as I have updated my address etc and there may be a balls up at their end?
crystal
Hi,

no if the dvla have not updated the address thats not the polices fault. as long as thery send it to the dvla address in 14 days that enough

Regards
Crystal
guitarheroin
So I could end up being outside of the "however long it is thing in which to reply" becuase of the dvla? Marvellous. This is going to go very pear shaped I just know it. The tenants of my previous house said they would always post new mail on to me, but I wonder if they will send me the NIP or just send it back to the police. F&ck!
guitarheroin
Still havent heard anything folks...
Gumby
Hi,

I wasn't sure if I caught in the posts if there was a speed sign on your side of the road or not.

You say you thought it was a 40mph. What was the last sign you past before the camera went off? If it was the 40mph sign only then that stretch of road is a 40mph limit unless you had past through a 30mph sign without noticing.
guitarheroin
QUOTE (Gumby @ Sat, 2 Dec 2006 - 12:22) *
Hi,

I wasn't sure if I caught in the posts if there was a speed sign on your side of the road or not.

You say you thought it was a 40mph. What was the last sign you past before the camera went off? If it was the 40mph sign only then that stretch of road is a 40mph limit unless you had past through a 30mph sign without noticing.

Hello luv, welcome.

At night time I couldnt see there was a 30 (it was raining and windy so I reckon it could have been a bit obscured), all I could see were the numerous 40 signs however when I went back in the day there is a 30 sign around the corner from the GATSO thing.
Lynnzer
Wouldn't worry,
Gatso's can take pictures of traffic in both directions, but only one direction at a time. To get it to catch the other side, it has to be turned around.
They are for traffic going away from them too so I wouldn't be overly concerened. Quite why it snapped you is another thing. You might have missed the car that had just passed you in the opposite direction which was the intended target.
If you had another vehicle up your jacksie then that should invalidate the photo as well, as any photo with more than one vehicle in the proximity of the "offending" vehicle can cause an error.
I wonder if they produce a negative speed if they snap anyone coming rather than going, if you see what I mean.
Fingers crossed and you'll hear no more.
Gumby
It is quite common for GATSO cameras to flash more then once (e.g. twice) as one speeding vehicle passes it.

You could raise a defence at court if the last sign you past was a 40mph sign before you reached the GATSO. If this is the case then you were flashed doing 38 in a 40mph limit.
There could also be a good arguement to raise if the sign, either did not conform to regulations, or was obscured from view etc..

Hope this helps.

PC Gumby
guitarheroin
Sill havent heard anything....Ill see what happens this week before Sunday
guitarheroin
Nope still nothing...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.