Full Version: Dumfries and Galloway
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
CBRrider
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? - Dumfries and Galloway
Date of the offence: - October 2006
Date of the NIP: - 4 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 6 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A74(M) Glasgow - Carlisle Road, southbound carriageway nearto Torwood Overbridge, Junction 17, Lockerbie, Dumfries and Galloway
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - Driving down the motorway in the flow of traffic we overtake some HGV's at the brow of the hill, spot the camera van slow down and pull into the inside lane. Done for 86mph at the top of the hill I suspect as I was overtaking.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - Scotland
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • Complete the form, but return it unsigned.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v1.0.2: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:41:23 +0000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are the answers you've given so far:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - Scotland
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes

NIP completed and returned unsigned by wife on the 18/11/06, recevied it back on the 21st with compliments slip asking for signatue and return by 1/12/06
firefly
Welcome to the party...smile.gif

If you fancy putting up a sustained fight then I suggest you return the NIP unsigned once more. You can ignore it if you wish but I'd recommend returning it.

By-the-way, were you on a bike at the time?
popdog28
If you go unsigned, take a photocopy, as it could help if it goes to trial. My N.I.P was unsigned, yet they are claiming to be in possession of a signed copy, which has gone walkies!

Good luck, and join the queue, which starts..........................................................................
................................................................................
................................................................................
........................about here!
CBRrider
Thanks for the welcomes.

I was in the car at that time.

I thought the view was to completely ignore any further correspondence from D&G ? and not return anything to them.
popdog28
Its not really advisable IMHO to ever ignore an N.I.P in your own name. If you do, you are likely to be charged with a section 172 offence, given points and up to a £1000 fine. Even worse, they may still push for a speeding conviction. At your speed, you be offered a C.O.F.P which is 3 points and £60.

If you really want to fight, send back the form UNSIGNED on day 26 or so, and get an agent to fill the form in. Keep a copy of the form, and most importantly, get your agent to fill in a little note saying they completed the form, and keep this safe.

Most probably, you will receive a C.O.F.P, which you can accept, or ignore. You will probably get reminders, which u can accept, or ignore.

Best case scenario....You ignore their payment requests, and the offence is timed out under the 6 month rule.

Worst case Scenario........it goes to court, you employ a solicitor, you get identified by photo or video, lose, and end up paying solicitor fees (About £500) and a higher fine, with 3 points.

All depends if you want to fight or not. My original N.I.P came through to an empty building, for my company which had ceased trading. I ignored it, and then searched the insurance database, and sent me 1 in my own name........nice resourceful people.

If you have an N.I.P in your own name, and you know you were driving, I wouldn't ignore it.
TenaciousC
Hi CBRrider

Worst case Scenario........it goes to court, you employ a solicitor, you get identified by photo or video, lose, and end up paying solicitor fees (About £500) and a higher fine, with 3 points.

The photography from these devices can be quite good ... as I found out. I emailed the camera partnership and they very quickly returned some splendid snaps of me (NB Firely did not advise any correspondence with them). See my thread.. there is a link to the actual pics within...

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=14428&hl=

Since you are pointless (have no points) biggrin.gif and your speed was not totally excessive I would suggest going unsigned and fighting. The only reason I folded was because these was a risk of being totted up and banned if things didn't work out.

Good luck

C
The Rookie
QUOTE (popdog28 @ Tue, 21 Nov 2006 - 13:38) *
Its not really advisable IMHO to ever ignore an N.I.P in your own name. If you do, you are likely to be charged with a section 172 offence, given points and up to a £1000 fine. Even worse, they may still push for a speeding conviction.

Not true of course, if you have already replied and this is a duplicate or reminder there is no obligation on you to reply again!

Simon
CBRrider
Thanks for your comments.

I'll keep hold of the NIP and compliments slip they sent back to me and see what happens next.

Only 5 months to go !
CBRrider
Okay, received a 2nd NIP from D&G saying that I have not supplied the information, and to complete and return the 2nd one within 7 days.

I have the original as they returnd it to me with a compliments slip asking me to sign it.

As I understand it, I have complied by returning the 1st NIP unsigned, and my evidence of proof that I have complied is the compliments slip that they sent back to me. Now I just wait to see what they do next.
firefly
QUOTE (CBRrider @ Tue, 12 Dec 2006 - 16:46) *
As I understand it, I have complied by returning the 1st NIP unsigned, and my evidence of proof that I have complied is the compliments slip that they sent back to me. Now I just wait to see what they do next.
True enough. It's really down to the individual as to what to do next. Either sit tight or return the second NIP. Each course has merit.
CBRrider
Just had the visit today by local plod asking me complete the NIP. Thought it best to fold and complete the form. They had some nice pictures of me though which they didn't want to leave with me !!

It looked like they were also supposed to do me for not completeing the NIP, but i told them it had been completed and returned to D&G and they had sent it back as it was unsigned. He filed that info into his report.

I guess I wait for the COFP now, don't suppose it will take them 3.5 months to send though.
firefly
Yikes!

Where do you live?
CBRrider
I'm in Oldham which comes under Greater Manchester Police.
jeffreyarcher
QUOTE (CBRrider @ Wed, 3 Jan 2007 - 20:53) *
They had some nice pictures of me though which they didn't want to leave with me !!

I would imagine that they would be for identification purposes.
I.e., had you declined to sign or 'fess up, the coppers would give evidence at the speeding trial,
"I visited Mr. CBRider at his home, and can cofirm that the photographs were a good likeness of him, and I can confirm that that is he standing in the dock."
popdog28
Beggers belief. Offence in Scotland, accused in Oldham, and you get a visit. Hardly seems worth it for the speed.

Seems D&G in particular are wising up & trying to push for more convictions. I can see trouble ahead for many.
CBRrider
I feel really annoyed now thinking back, the pics were a bit grainy and I should have asked the coppers if they could identify me from them but instead i did what law abiding citizens of the New World Order do, and fessed up.

Lessons learnt:-

1/ Let the police do the talking.
2/ Let them identify you.
3/ Tell them you've already returned the NIP (worth a try)
4/ Leave the country for 6 months as they obviously need the signed form to proceed.
CBRrider
Received my COFP a couple of weeks ago now, if I ignore it what would be next course of action ?

I'm guessing court dates and appearances.
jeffreyarcher
QUOTE (CBRrider @ Mon, 29 Jan 2007 - 21:45) *
if I ignore it what would be next course of action ?

I'm guessing court dates and appearances.

Probably, although you might get another COFP, this time from the PF. This has happened to a few D&G victims.
CBRrider
Just thought I should give an update, it's been over 12 months now since the original NIP and several months since my COFP. I ignored it and have heard nothing since so I presume it's timed out.

Thanks
jeffreyarcher
QUOTE (CBRrider @ Thu, 8 Nov 2007 - 18:17) *
so I presume it's timed out.

Well out. thumbsup.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.