Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Defective Speed Limit Sign
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
RFS
I recentley was diverted down a road I do not normally travel.It was in the hours of darkness. This road is a dual carriageway 40mph limit. I passed through 2 cameras in 500 yards. No probs I was travelling at 40. I was also over taking several HGVs. To my surprise a 3rd camera cought me a further 400yrds, at the bottom of a hill. I was still tavelling at 40!
I went back only to find that after the secong camera a 30mph restriction starts. I also saw that there were two signs one either side but the one on the central reservation had no illumination as the light was not working and was consequently not visible. My veiw to the nearside one was obstructed as I overtook the HGVs.
I dont mind getting caught for blatent bad driving but I never saw the sign because it was out. Is there a defence that the sign was not maintained as it would be in a traffic light case.

Regards.
jeffreyarcher
It's a lot more complex than in a traffic light case.

If there were no street lights, that is a defence.

If there were street lights, it is not a defence per se.
It would, however, be a Burgess v West 'special reason' for not endorsing.
If you were close to the faulty terminal signs (i.e. less than one, missing repeater's distance), you may be able to swing a defence.

The important thing, though, is that you must get photographic evidence ASAP. Also, get a witness; two or more if you can.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.