Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inadequate Signage
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
TSCN
Hi to all here and I hope you can help. I may or may not have just been caught doing no more than 45mph in a 30mph limit by a mobile camera. The van present was doing the ANPR checks for tax/mot/insurance so first of all can these also function as speed camera vans as well?

Secondly there was also two police cars present with cameras in the back windows, although these were stopping cars obviuosly falling foul of the ANPR checks could these have also been checking speed?

Neither the cars or the van were displaying speed camera signage - nor were any displayed on the roadside.

Thirdly, if either of these could have been doing speed limit enforcement checks I beleive I have a reasonable defence but would like to know your opinion on where I stand:

The road is a 30mph limit in an area that I had never driven in before as I was away on work. I stopped at a supermarket to get some lunch and upon leaving the supermarket premisis there was a NSL repeater on a lampost so I assumed this must be the limit (the road is very wide and with not a lot of buildings on either side) - catching up to the general flow of trafic I hit no more than 45mph as I went past the van and two police cars , may have been about 36mph or so - about a mile down the road there were 40 signs and as I looked on the back I could see that I had just left a 30mph limit. I went back and checked and in between the NSL repeater and where the cars and the van were situated there was no 30mph limit posting, repeater or otherwise. Could this be a case for "playing ignorant" even though at the time as far as I was concerned I was correct in thinking that the speed limit was in fact 60mph?

Thanks for any advice guidance you have to offer.

Tom
andy_foster
Presumably you are only guessing at which vehicle was used to catch you. If they were indeed being sneaky by using an unmarked or inappropriately marked vehicle that may have a bearing on whether they get to keep the money, but would not affect the admissibility of the evidence against you.

You checked between the NSL repeater and the location of the vehicles that you merely assume zapped you, for 30mph terminal signs. You are assuming that that strecth of road is a 30mph limit because those vehicles were there and you got a NIP?
Assuming that the road is a single carriageway, the speed limit will be the same on both sides. If you back-track from the end of the 30 limit/start of the 40 limit, you should eventually see a terminal sign that marks the end of the 30mph limit and start of the next limit (possibly NSL). On the other side of the road (i.e. in the direction you were originally heading) there should be a terminal sign indicating the start of the 30mph limit and end of the NSL.
It is very unusal for both sets of signs to be missing.
TSCN
Thanks but I don't think I explained myself. I turned onto the piece of 30mph road directly out of a supermarket i.e. off the road. There was a NSL repeater on the road a little way ahead of me. I never saw, and there is not a 30mph marker from the direction I came from (apart from the other side of the supermarket where I had never been). The only sign I saw between entering the road and all of the police etc was the NSL one.
Ziltro
Sounds like photos/video of your route would be helpful before they change the signs.
MartinHP71
Hi,

Can I just confirm at this time you haven't yet received a NIP or any documentation ?

Also you say you only saw the NSL when you left the Supermarket, however playing devils advogate how did you get into the supermarket car park and what was the speed limit on that route ? If it had previously been noted as 30mph as you drove into the car park then it could be safe to assume it was 30mph as you left because there was no indication otherwise (although the NSL repeater seems to be a rogue one)

But I would fully agree with Ziltro if you can get video it might help in the future.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.