Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I do this...?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Thermoman
Private Parking Charge Notice received by driver of my vehicle today, 8.30pm, private car park. Dark, not easy to see sign.

The driver was in the car park for just under 5 mins, picking up an ill resident. Van must have been waiting round the corner (or possibly using CCTV surveillance) to deliberately catch the driver.

Charge is £80, rising to £120 if not paid within 7 days. The PCN says that they'll contact the DVLA to get my details as Registered Keeper.

They don't have any statutory means (equivalent to S172 of the RTA) of requiring me to give information, do they? Don't see why I should act as an unpaid spy for them.

So when I receive a threatening letter as Registered Keeper, is there any reason why I shouldn't respond as follows:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Many thanks for your request for information concerning the driver of vehicle registration number XXXX XXX on 14th October 2006 at 8.30pm.

I would be happy to conduct an investigation into this matter on your behalf in an attempt to identify the driver of the vehicle at the time and place specified. The fee for my services will be £120, the same to be payable in advance of my investigation.

Yours,

(Me)
Falcon_II
That would be funny
Thermoman
Yes, but would it work?
Teufel
what would you do if they paid ?

better just to say that you were not driving that day
and so are not repsonsible for any purported contract

they cannot make you say who was driving

though in a court action not naming them
may make your claim that you were not driver less beliveable
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.