Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bugger... overhanging car..
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Clear Skies
Hi,

This is a right royal pain in the backside, but step by step guidance is appreciated..

I paid my 5 quid parking permit, but my car was parked in what I thought was a bay , I had reversed up to a bike which I thought was parked in a BIKE BAY duh !

the old lines, were just that, new ones were bright and shiney and therefore I had overhung the new bay.
There was tonnes of room for another car to come and park in the final bay (the one I overhung into )

I have some pictures.. which I will up load later .

There is reason to believe the lines may be wrong..

At this moment, I have been to the patas site but still ,

I would like my hand holding, step by step, because I am stupid.. I understand I have to write to the council in the first instance and outline my reason. I have to do this asap better within 14days , 28 days for sure.

Do I have to give them ALL the reasons for objecting in the first letter ? , as I need to get my head around the measurements etc and may well need to revisit the site.

I cant claim costs for this can I ???

rgds
Bill
Adenuff
You mention old lines and new lines. Have you effectively parked in an old bay and not a new freshly painted bay.

My point is this: Old lines can be removed or painted out- it is no more difficult than painting the new lines. If the old lines are still there then surely they are still "effective". It is not up to the motorist to have to guess at what is meant by a confusion of lines. In the case of signs I am sure that I have read that a sign has no effect if it does not comply even if a reasonable person could clearly understand what it is meant to signify(or words to that effect) Isn't this a similar thing?

If the old bay is still effective (because it hasn't been removed) then the contravention did not occur

Just a thought
peterb
QUOTE (Clear Skies @ Wed, 11 Oct 2006 - 11:52) *
the old lines, were just that, new ones were bright and shiney and therefore I had overhung the new bay.

The "old" lines should have been removed.

How does anyone know which are correct lines and you should not have to differentiate
between bright/shiney lines & not so bright lines.

peterb
Clear Skies
Click to view attachment back of my car , with the old line.
Click to view attachment shows there is enough space for the new car which turned up
Click to view attachment this what I thought was the bike bay !!!!! It wasnt one, it just had a bike parked in it when I arrived. The old lines just confused me. The new lines are the bright white ones which are the new parking bays..

I may need to go back and take some more pictures.. a long round trip which will cost more than the fifty quid.. but.... thats not the point.
Adenuff
If that is your silver car then it seems pretty clear that you have parked in what appeared to you to be a bay. Obviously it would have been better for your case if the old lines weren't quite so worn but would you have made the mistake if the old lines had been removed? I think not !
meadle
I'm a bit confused by the photos but need less to say

The marking perpendicular to the kerb is the delineator between the two restrictions.

The obvious points are go and look at the road signs out there in relation and chech the positions, take photos by all means.

You could possibly argue that the new line was obscured and you would have been aware of the bike bay had they followed the guidance in chapter 5 of the traffic signs manual that when two bays utilising the same marking are adjoined that the appropriate legend should be provided. In this case solo m/cs only.

It's not a great argument but probably the best you can hope for until we get a look at the signing
Ziltro
Do the lines comply with this diagram? 1032

(may require measurement...)
Clear Skies
QUOTE (Ziltro @ Wed, 11 Oct 2006 - 19:04) *
Do the lines comply with this diagram? 1032

(may require measurement...)

chances are no they dont comply . Someone is very kindly going to measure , as it's a 4 hour round trip for me.

There is room to argue about the faded lines.. (precedent)

and as an aside and stealing from another thread, who operates westmisnter's 75 million per annum parking services..? I would just like to know.. I will find out and revert..

rgds
Clear Skies
Will revert
Clear Skies
well that all came to a fairly satis factory conclusion at the end of last year, but I had to wait to post.

the signs dont comply, nor do the size or design of the bays. Lesson, I now have a steel tape and camera in my car

My only failing was to be to hasty, because the intention was to report the council to the police for malfeasance..

The chief executive was kept informed at all times of their mistake, therefore they had no excuse to carry on persecuting me.

I received a letter of apology, now asking for costs, lets see how far that goes.. thanks to those that helped

rgds
Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.