Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Court Summons arriving late
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Andy2k
I was going over a friends house one night after work, at 10pm on the 30/08/06. We had just finished work, and she felt very ill. So i offered to drive her home in her car, mine was at home.

About half way on the 6 mile journey, we were stopped by the cops, and taking my document to the police station i noticed i don't have DOC, i just assumed i had it, as many of my friends did. I know its my fault for not checking.

The solictor thinks I will either get 6 points and my license revoked (2 year rule) or a short ban.

I have my own car, im employed full time, need my car to get to work as i start at 6am, im 18 years old, clean license, and my friend was not feeling well enough to drive. I've been told I need to wait for a court summons.

What do you think will happen then? Will i lose my license and my job? or any chance of getting 5 points? Don;t mind paying any fine just i'll be stuffed without the car for work.

Anyone else been in this situation? Is it true theres a cut off for the summons?

Cheers in advance for any help.
crystal
Hi,

It will be hard to avoid a ban but maybe not impossible. I would get your friend to provide a statement and hope. Generally for mitgating circumstaces the mags are interested in the effect on others not you.
If you loose you licence under the 2 year rule you can reapply straight away ie you got very quicky get you provisonal licence and do cbt to use a bike for transport while doing you tests again.

Regards
Crystal
Andy2k
Is it true that the summons must come within 3 months, or its void?

I'm getting a motoring solicitor, and you think a statement from my friend?

On a side note, i do shopping and travel my housebound disabled father around in my car, will this news help me?
crystal
hi,

Helping your father will help. The have 6 months from the date of the offence to lay papers before the court, you may not get then until a few weeks later

Regards
Crystal
Andy2k
I'm going to get a good motoring solictor to help aswell. Does anyone know the facts about driving uninsured. The solictor said its 6 points mind - License revoked or short ban.

Anyone know if i could get any less, and either adds 500 per year onto my insurance + court fees+ fine + solictor sad.gif
Andy2k
Any more advice anyone?
audiquattro
QUOTE (Andy2k @ Thu, 21 Sep 2006 - 20:37) *
DOC

doc???????????????
Andy2k
QUOTE (audiquattro @ Thu, 21 Sep 2006 - 21:56) *

DOC

doc???????????????

Drive Other Car's. Many insurance policys contain this, it allows you to drive any car third party based

Another thing i've thought of, Do i need to attend, or is the loyal on his own enough?
anton
Trebble check with your friends insurance that there is no cover for you in the case you stated, being taken ill. And with your own insurance...
fatboytim
From were are you getting the motoring solicitor?,

Is 'your' car your dads mobility car, or registered thru him for disabled free road tax.
If it is or can be wink.gif by the time of the court hearing, you would have a very good case for 'exceptional hardship to others', along with your friends testimony of being unwell, you will look like an angel12.gif who made a one off mistake while doing a good deed.
Get a haircut and wear a suit and tie and polish your shoes.
I know your young but think about representing yourself, if you are pleading guilty with the above mitigation in place, I don't think a solicitor will make things that much better, go to the courts and sit in on a few cases and see what you think.
fatboytim
Andy2k
QUOTE (fatboytim @ Thu, 21 Sep 2006 - 22:35) *
From were are you getting the motoring solicitor?,

Is 'your' car your dads mobility car, or registered thru him for disabled free road tax.
If it is or can be wink.gif by the time of the court hearing, you would have a very good case for 'exceptional hardship to others', along with your friends testimony of being unwell, you will look like an angel12.gif who made a one off mistake while doing a good deed.
Get a haircut and wear a suit and tie and polish your shoes.
I know your young but think about representing yourself, if you are pleading guilty with the above mitigation in place, I don't think a solicitor will make things that much better, go to the courts and sit in on a few cases and see what you think.
fatboytim

How easy is it too swap it too his name, + free tax smile.gif ?

I will check her insurnace tomororw, too see what it says, is it common to have this clause?

Cheers for replys, makes me feel better, thanks
audiquattro
QUOTE (Andy2k @ Thu, 21 Sep 2006 - 22:02) *

DOC

doc???????????????

Drive Other Car's. Many insurance policys contain this, it allows you to drive any car third party based

Another thing i've thought of, Do i need to attend, or is the loyal on his own enough?

Ahhhh you mean 3rd party fire and theft smile.gif smile.gif
Andy2k
QUOTE (audiquattro @ Thu, 21 Sep 2006 - 23:12) *
QUOTE (Andy2k @ Thu, 21 Sep 2006 - 22:02) *

DOC

doc???????????????

Ahhhh you mean 3rd party fire and theft smile.gif smile.gif

Yep thats the one mate,
fatboytim
Heres a link to disabled driving/ drivers info.
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23069021/
Basically if your father gets higher rate mobility allowance, he can get disabled vehilce excise duty, i.e. free road tax.
fatboytim
Andy2k
Has anyone had a court summons arrive late, or not at all?

Just wondering if it happens often? Not looking forward to mine comming.
Andy2k
Bump, just wondering if anyones court summons never arrived or arrived late?

Secondly is it three months i have to wait?
Peter_D
Papers have to be layed before the court within 6 months and that triggers the despatch of a summons which can be dekayed by a few weeks normally less than a month. Why do you think you about to reveive a summons. ?? Regards Peter
andy_foster
QUOTE (Andy2k @ Sun, 24 Sep 2006 - 01:36) *
Bump, just wondering if anyones court summons never arrived or arrived late?

Secondly is it three months i have to wait?

You've started a duplicate thread!
Andy2k
Sorry if its a repeated thread.

Yep See above, beening done for invalid insurnance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.