Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: (bath mag case near)clerk said i should plead not guilty
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
matt1133
hi, i have a courtcase on 29th march for failing to provide information to help identify the driver (caught doing 78mph in a 50 zone). i received a nip last october and it was sent back unsigned. i assume they will say it was sent back asking for the form to be properly filled out?. i did nothing and didn't contact them which is why i assume i have been summoned. i received a summons last week 15th march 2004 to attend for failing to id driver as no response was heard. however, with the court summons is a copy of the nip which i origionally sent back, this has a stamp saying 'received 5 of jan by camera processing unit'. what options are open to me? i'm starting to get a bit worried, should i attend court or do it through the post? can i say that i sent the nip and prove it by showing the evidence of the stamp, i can then possibly say i received no other communication from the safecam organisation? (as of yet i have had nothing concerning the actual speeding itself from only for failing to id driver.) also if i do it through post do i have to send my liscense? is the speeding offence timed out? thanks, matt.
DCF
Matt,

All I can say is that I was in exactly the same boat and pleaded guilty to the 172 offence at the very last minute (day before the case) by fax.

They fined me £200 and I never heard another thing regarding the actual speeding offence.

"Empty wallet clean license!"

DCF
Mika
DCF,

I don’t understand you comment:

"Empty wallet clean license!"

Because, according to the DVLA website, failure to give information as to the identity of the driver incurs a mandatory 3 penalty points:

MS90 - Failure to give information as to identity of driver etc. - 3
DCF
I received a fine of £200 only and there was no mention that 3 points would be added to my license.

Would they have done this without informing me? How can I find out?
cjm99
DCF

Are you still in possesion of your driving licence?

Chris
DCF
Yes - As I say there was no mention of any points and no request for me to send my licence anywhere.
cjm99
I think, that you got 'dead lucky' biggrin.gif

But it does show how thoroughly incompetent our judiciary are.At least in the CPS/Mags administration.

Chris
matt1133
i phoned court and asked why i got summons as i sent information when requested to which they replied i should plead not guilty as i sent the right information once and can prove it (there is no mention in the summons about re-sending the form to me for a signiture, only stating i didn't reply at all but i did) are they right or talking crap? how long is it before speeding offence is timed out? when i was requested a second time to sign the form it was by a safecam manager and not a chief contstable, does this matter?
matt1133
i decided to have the following as some sort of defence against failing to id driver;
i sent the required information as requested but subsequently received no further communication from the safe cam department. as the requsted information was sent i am therefor surely not accountable to the charges of failing to comply with identifying the driver of an alledged offence. the evidence supplied (copy of nip from court) clearly shows that the requested information was duly received on the 5th of january 2004 in compliance. dunno what else can possibly say? would that stand up in court or would i be laughed at and look like a complete nob head? any thoughts/ideas are more than welcome,
cheers, matt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.